• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beyond Verbal: The Science of Emotions

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I just came across this very interesting analytic tool for deciphering a person's emotions from his/her speech. http://www.beyondverbal.com/# Try it yourself!

I used it myself, and found the results (below) eerily accurate. As a bit of background: I recently met this INTJ girl with whom I felt I shared a good amount of compatibility. We went on 5 dates and had a really good time. However, today I finally concluded that, despite having a good time with her, we don't share enough life goals to work out in the long run. I ended up letting her know that while I appreciated our time together, I didn't think things would work out and that we shouldn't see one another (romantically) anymore. I just picked a random passage on the internet and read it in what I thought was my typical voice...

m34q.png

Could be a bunch of bollocks, but I thought it was fun nonetheless.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
So I take it you saw visual feedback on the input that it was being heard? That is, the little picture of the microphone had green, yellow, and red bars moving up and down on the screen while you were recording? I ask this because I tested it on random youtube videos and it worked. It seems to be more likely that it is an error on your part.

93JC

So I take it you saw visual feedback on the input that it was being heard? That is, the little picture of the microphone had green, yellow, and red bars moving up and down on the screen while you were recording?

Yes. In perfect sync with the volume of my voice, I might add.

It seems to be more likely that it is an error on your part.

I turned on my microphone and clicked the button to begin recording: I did my part. There was no error on it.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Do you have any recorded youtube videos on here? Any audio recordings? I want to test it. It just seems so bizarre that it isn't working for you... Do you pause a lot?

93JC

I don't have any youtube videos on here anymore, and if there are any audio recordings I can't recall the threads I posted them in.

I didn't pause at all.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The INTP monotone broke science.

I like this.

ygolo

My termites win
We move one step closer to thought police.

Worse, there is a chance that long held prejudices can now become "justified" because an algorithm has been trained to encode them.

Says it does not work on mobile phones. So will have to try later.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We move one step closer to thought police.

Worse, there is a chance that long held prejudices can now become "justified" because an algorithm has been trained to encode them.

Says it does not work on mobile phones.

Dear Citizen
The NSA analysed your vocal stylings and have assessed your primary mood as "negative", "uncooperative" and "hostile towards Western values", and secondarily "concealing terrorist sympathies".
Expect a visit.
Yours faithfully,
Big Government

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I repeated the same monologue about the lack of railway systems in China in 1860, and I got a different result every time I talked to it, which I find dubious (my feelings must be very tempestuous!). Also, the provided descriptions of ones feelings are enough of an abstraction that I think the Forer effect may be involved for those who are convinced.

Curiously my primary and secondary feelings always matched.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Attempt #1: I talked about how I've been sick in bed all weekend, except for seeing a movie and buying catfood.
Primary: Desire to act, prohibited from a fear of failure.
Secondary: Longing, hope, concerns.

Attempt #2: Talked about what a douchebag my cat is sometimes.
Primary:Attempt to communicate hope and conviction despite the reality.
Secondary: Painful communication. High sensitivity.

Attempt #3: Talked about some imaginary hot guy.
Primary: Need for communication and dependence on warm and supportive interpersonal contact.
Secondary: Emotional frustration.

Attempt #4: Talked casually about my dad's death, as if I were just going grocery shopping.
Primary: Disguised passion, possibly from shyness.
Secondary: Repressed or stressful desires and dreams.

Attempt #5: Same as Attempt #4
Primary: Rebelliousness, independence, unwillingness to accept authority.
Secondary: Rebelliousness, independence, unwillingness to accept authority.

Aside from some of the pretty screwball readings, the answers are pretty Forer to me, honestly.
(Well, except for my cat: I'm disappointed in that little bastard. He's such a heartbreaker.)