• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jellyfish are taking over the world!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously. They evolved as some of the first life on Earth, and appear to be a species which will outsurvive most of the other species. Overfishing has decreased species which compete with them for food, and their natural predators are being killed off. Millions of them being sucked into cooling systems of nuclear power plants can shut them down. One species can cause death within 4 minutes. One species is essentially immortal. But luckily, we can eat them!

This is a book review, which tells all about it:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/sep/26/jellyfish-theyre-taking-over/?pagination=false

It's rather horrifying, but it's encouraging to me that life will continue to thrive even if we continue to destroy the planet. They are such amazing creatures. Maybe they'll evolve into another set of intelligent species.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], what do you think about this?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Planet Earth is a big junkyard of garbage and destruction. It's not even worth worrying about for me, at least on the level of practical action.

I find it more useful to invent new systems of where mankind could go in the future, to better expand beyond the terrestrial.

If we become developed enough, then we could perhaps heal the Earth, and maybe even overthrow the evil Gnostic demiurge that hacked our corrupted program!

edit - It's cool how my comment popped up after your mention.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Planet Earth is a big junkyard of garbage and destruction. It's not even worth worrying about for me, at least on the level of practical action.

I find it more useful to invent new systems of where mankind could go in the future, to better expand beyond the terrestrial.

If we become developed enough, then we could perhaps heal the Earth, and maybe even overthrow the evil Gnostic demiurge that hacked our corrupted program!

edit - It's cool how my comment popped up after your mention.
That may be, but in the process we may have little to eat but jellyfish. And if they evolve to become intelligent, maybe they can help us achieve these goals.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That may be, but in the process we may have little to eat but jellyfish. And if they evolve to become intelligent, maybe they can help us achieve these goals.

By the time the jellyfish become super-brains, we will already be a hyperdimensional civilization.

There's still much progress left to be made, but surely the jellyfish aren't an imminent concern for our evolution, even if they damage our oceanic productions.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched this a while ago:

So, who wants some jellyfish on their ice cream?