• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

wireless help

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok so I can connect to my network and I talked to my dad and he confirmed that all the settings are correct and I should be able to connect, but unless i'm plugged into the box I can't surf the web, I also get a full single from the wireless on my computer, but when I go to load a web page it says server can't be found and then I look at network status it says connected but not configured, and I know user names and passwords are correct. What do I need to do/ask for to get this to work?

It's a wireless g linksys box and i'm using a Mac OS X version 10.4.11

I'm able to get the IP and subnet not plugged in but is refusing to find the router #. When i am plugged in the IP and sub and mac all match when I connect wirelesly plus the router shows up.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
See if you can connect to the router over the wireless itself to examine the settings. Often when this stuff is wrong it looks like you are connected but you aren't really.

Option 2 : connect to the box direct by ethernet and disable the wireless security long to try it again. If it works with th wireless security (WEP or whatever) turned off, you'll know that's causing the problem.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it won't let me join the network unless I put in the security. And tried to 1st step all ready.

It works for my room mate, when she gets off work I'm thinking about asking to look at her settings to see if they match. I don't know what to do, cuz most of the time I can connect without problems to most networks. my dad said it might be a problem with my computer talking to the router. and their might be somewhere I have to go and change settings to allow them to talk.

i tried the ethernet thing and tried putting all the settings in automatically so everything would defiently match but still won't work.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know anything about OS X, just look where your IP address can be seen, usually you'll see your gateway, netmask, DNS server address(es), and so-forth. The other possibility is that your computer can't find the DNS server.

Go to a command prompt and type "ping 64.233.187.99", then see if the pings succeed or time out.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
tried that and I got "ping: sendto: No route to host"

but it does find it when I am connected manually to the router.

lastrailway

No idea how Os X works, but usually checking that you've configured correctly the gates, DNS servers, etc, should do the trick.
It must be on "network" from system preferences, the TCP/IP tab or something. Check the settings there.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
tried that and I got "ping: sendto: No route to host"

but it does find it when I am connected manually to the router.
Your gateway is not configured correctly. Force a DHCP release/renew and it might work.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I tried that and still didn't work.

I'm sure it's something simple and once i figure it out i'm going to feel like a moron

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
nope, I think I'm gonna get the dns adress from my room mate and see if putting that in manually might work.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when plugged directly into the router, yes i can ping.

i tried using the IP adress i got from the router when plugged in using airport and it pings not plugged in but not with the adress wolf gave me.

but the adress that he gave me pings when connected to the router.

lastrailway

I'd say you should double-check all your preferences.
Where exactly do you find the preferences? Is it indeed on network->airport->tcp/ip?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Verify that your gateway address is the IP of the "router". If it is, you have some kind of firewall configured for that network connection.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how would I go about figuring out the firewall?

never mind I found it.