• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Nye The Science Guy Booed In Texas

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thepangeablog/2012/05/07/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for-saying-the-moon-reflects-the-sun-really/

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.
But don’t tell that to the good people of Waco, who were “visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence,” according to the Waco Tribune.

The lesser light, he [Nye] pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.
At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled “We believe in God!”

G

garbage

Is there a thing in the Bible about the moon generating its own light? I'm not a Bible scholar, so

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a thing in the Bible about the moon generating its own light? I'm not a Bible scholar, so

Bill Nye made the mistake of quoting Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

If he hadn't done this, none of those True Believers would have known the difference.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is a hard one. I want to drop kick an idiot, but at the same time, the bible didn't say god created two independent light sources , just that he created two lights, and a reflection counts.

And, he really should have known better than to bring the bible into it in a crowd of strangers.

Beorn

Permabanned
This shows the obvious idiocy of... Bill Nye.

The bible isn't a science textbook. It's bad enough when Christian creationists treat it that way and even worst when non-believers do. The fact that it says "God created a lesser light" instead of stating that "God created a reflector of the sun" doesn't matter one bit. Bill was going outside the realm of science to make a literary critique which is well beyond his capability.

Don't get me wrong, Bill was too much a part of my childhood for me to write him off, but this was just silly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This shows the obvious idiocy of... Bill Nye.

The bible isn't a science textbook. It's bad enough when Christian creationists treat it that way and even worst when non-believers do. The fact that it says "God created a lesser light" instead of stating that "God created a reflector of the sun" doesn't matter one bit. Bill was going outside the realm of science to make a literary critique which is well beyond his capability.

Don't get me wrong, Bill was too much a part of my childhood for me to write him off, but this was just silly.

It's just science vs. faith, an ideological struggle that's been going on since the Age of Reason.

Beorn

Permabanned
It's just science vs. faith, an ideological struggle that's been going on since the Age of Reason.

No, it's not science vs. faith. It's a matter literary interpretation. Ironically it's Bill Nye who is taking the position of a more narrow minded interpretation of the text.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:doh:

I graduated from an Independent Fundamental Baptist High school and I was never taught that the moon produced it's own light. Why even bring it up, except to be an ass? And why let Bill Nye troll you into looking stupid?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I graduated from an Independent Fundamental Baptist High school and I was never taught that the moon produced it's own light. Why even bring it up, except to be an ass? And why let Bill Nye troll you into looking stupid?

Ask the lady who stormed out of the lecture with her three kids in tow, screeching, "We believe in God!"

A literal interpretation of the Bible is the narrow-minded. Religion remains static while science grows and evolves.

Beorn

Permabanned
Ask the lady who stormed out of the lecture with her three kids in tow, screeching, "We believe in God!"

A literal interpretation of the Bible is the narrow-minded. Religion remains static while science grows and evolves.

You're wrong.

Bill Nye was wrong.

You're losing credibility and looking like you just have a vendetta against religious people.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're wrong.

Bill Nye was wrong.

You're losing credibility and looking like you just have a vendetta against religious people.

How was I wrong?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It made sense for him to reference the literal incorrectness of the Bible because he was in front of a crowd of people who apparently took the Bible literally.

Now, it's another thing to ask if there was even a point in trying, but he was there, and might as well have made an effort for the duration.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It made sense for him to reference the literal incorrectness of the Bible because he was in front of a crowd of people who apparently took the Bible literally.

Now, it's another thing to ask if there was even a point in trying, but he was there, and might as well have made an effort for the duration.

Thank you.

Beorn

Permabanned

They don't take the bible literally.

Nobody does that. It's a misnomer.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
The bible says, you'll pander to my people's inadequacies or get booed. Bill was obviously in the wrong.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a part of Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy,[20] conservative Christian scholarship affirms the following:

"WE AFFIRM the necessity of interpreting the Bible according to its literal, or normal, sense. The literal sense is the grammatical-historical sense, that is, the meaning which the writer expressed. Interpretation according to the literal sense will take account of all figures of speech and literary forms found in the text. WE DENY the legitimacy of any approach to Scripture that attributes to it meaning which the literal sense does not support."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism

I lived with a married couple who were Biblical literalists, so don't give me that nonsense, ok? Ok.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A. You were wrong to bother bringing up this stupid year old story.

B. You were wrong to presume that a reflection of light is not a light.

I'm not the one who stormed out of the lecture because someone didn't take the Bible literally.