• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mars one project

Standuble

I know of this and receive the newsletter when it occasionally turns up.

They claim to have suppliers all over the world who can assist in providing the materials. Unless these companies go bankrupt I don't see why they can't deliver, especially with interest in returning to the Moon (which would carry with it interest in establishing some sort of colony for Helium-3 mining) and it would be easier establishing a Martian colony than a Luna one.

Of course, the astronauts won't be able to return home (at least for a couple of decades anyway) and I myself would volunteer to go. The worst that can happen is that you are laid to rest on an alien planet and to me that is all flavours of cool. Plus the colony would not be self-sufficient for decades, centuries (if at all) and I can't see it becoming profitable outside of it becoming a super-spaceship manufacturing colony.

I

Infinite Bubble

It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better. I find it hilarious that some as big and important for human advancement is being stunted by their primitive attitudes to the concept of money, which is in itself very mundane in the large scheme of things.

For future travel though, technology would have to advance to quite an extent to decrease time. Hopefully a fully-functional warp drive engine will be the eventual outcome, though this is very far on the horizon at this stage.

W

WALMART

It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better. I find it hilarious that some as big and important for human advancement is being stunted by their primitive attitudes to the concept of money, which is in itself very mundane in the large scheme of things.

For future travel though, technology would have to advance to quite an extent to decrease time. Hopefully a fully-functional warp drive engine will be the eventual outcome, though this is very far on the horizon at this stage.

Much needed research is being conducted as we speak. I believe the human race has a little bit of pulling together to do, on top of that.

Soon :)

KDude

It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better..

I used to think so, but now I think we should be contained. We can't take care of our own planet, nor our own societies, nor other creatures on the planet, and not even our own bodies. Not that all of those have to be perfect, but we're beyond retarded. Space exploration is getting ahead of ourselves.

I

Infinite Bubble

Much needed research is being conducted as we speak. I believe the human race has a little bit of pulling together to do, on top of that.

Soon :)

I'm not too sure. They are doing research and - correct me if I'm wrong- have actually managed to warp a slight amount of space, but to actually take this and engineer something that works with as little energy as possible... seems far off.

I used to think so, but now I think we should be contained. We can't take care of our own planet, nor our own societies, nor other creatures on the planet, and not even our own bodies. Not that all of those have to be perfect, but we're beyond retarded. Space exploration is getting ahead of ourselves.

Being contained, we will just continue to do the above, and probably destroy ourselves in the process. From a neutral viewpoint, we either spread out into space and mature as a species, or we stay and die; either from some sort of natural disaster, or a nuclear world war. Thinking purely for the advancement of the species (whether our advancement is a good or bad thing), it's either we go out into space, or we're extinct.

Standuble

Is there any reason to be contained? From what we have observed it's all just rock, gas, solar energy and radiation out there anyway. The only way (other than culling a large mass of the population or letting them die out) to significantly reduce our exploitation of flora, fauna and ourselves is to spread out and inhabit much larger areas so we aren't all fighting our scarce resources (which will only become more scarce) until we disappear in a bang or whimper.

KDude

Is there any reason to be contained?.

I hate to be a bit circular here, but I don't even think we'll advance much without being contained and working out a lot of shit here first (and working together). Humanity needs to adopt a friendly environment and/or culture of science, in order to make real strides in science. We live in a world that uses science, but doesn't know shit about it. That can't work out for long. The more this improves, the more manpower, political will, and flourishing of ideas.

Standuble

I hate to be a bit circular here, but I don't even think we'll advance much without being contained and working out a lot of shit here first (and working together). Humanity needs to adopt a friendly environment and/or culture of science, in order to make real strides in science. We live in a world that uses science, but doesn't know shit about it. That can't work out for long. The more this improves, the more manpower, political will, and flourishing of ideas.

Don't worry about being circular around me, circular reasoning is something I excel at. You say we need to be contained to work out our problems (I believe Gene Roddenberry had a similar view) rather than venturing off into space but I do not believe that is possible with the limited resources or possible in humanity's nature. Humanity has always moved to new environments when the old ones do not meet their needs rather than going into deep introspection and living without these needs in the pursuit of overcoming whichever problems plague their society. The question I have: What if the new environment and the new resources are the only solution? I am unsure how much science can be advanced from Earth, for one we had to build the Hubble Telescope in space so we can get a better view of the universe. We can conduct tests but tests are limited in their scope here, you need sufficient resources to create lab conditions. If we were in space we would have the entire resources of the solar system to develop new proto-type technology. We would have the space between stars if we wanted to experiment on creating our own star or planet in order to fully understand our own.

You do have a good point however, I see the strength in creating a bottom-up system which loves science but then I would argue an interstellar society would also require a bottom-up appreciation of science (if not more as an earthbound society really only needs to know how utilise technology and not the laws of gravity and propulsion for instance.) The people and their civilisations would need to be geared towards the appreciation of space-flight implications, ways of minimising radiation risks, innovating increasingly inexpensive ways of surface-to-orbit transfer of materials and the issues of delay times in long-distance communication and the effects on maintaining contact with loved ones. It would run quite extensively through a united and connected society across planets or star systems. As it would be doubly-vital to a civilisation's existence (not just to ensure technology continually runs but so trade routes between planetary bodies can be continually used) I can very likely see astrophysics being taught to children at a young age and it would be appreciated at the very least because it directly influences everyday life.

KDude

Don't worry about being circular around me, circular reasoning is something I excel at. You say we need to be contained to work out our problems (I believe Gene Roddenberry had a similar view) rather than venturing off into space but I do not believe that is possible with the limited resources or possible in humanity's nature. Humanity has always moved to new environments when the old ones do not meet their needs rather than going into deep introspection and living without these needs in the pursuit of overcoming whichever problems plague their society. The question I have: What if the new environment and the new resources are the only solution? I am unsure how much science can be advanced from Earth, for one we had to build the Hubble Telescope in space so we can get a better view of the universe. We can conduct tests but tests are limited in their scope here, you need sufficient resources to create lab conditions. If we were in space we would have the entire resources of the solar system to develop new proto-type technology. We would have the space between stars if we wanted to experiment on creating our own star or planet in order to fully understand our own.

You do have a good point however, I see the strength in creating a bottom-up system which loves science but then I would argue an interstellar society would also require a bottom-up appreciation of science (if not more as an earthbound society really only needs to know how utilise technology and not the laws of gravity and propulsion for instance.) The people and their civilisations would need to be geared towards the appreciation of space-flight implications, ways of minimising radiation risks, innovating increasingly inexpensive ways of surface-to-orbit transfer of materials and the issues of delay times in long-distance communication and the effects on maintaining contact with loved ones. It would run quite extensively through a united and connected society across planets or star systems. As it would be doubly-vital to a civilisation's existence (not just to ensure technology continually runs but so trade routes between planetary bodies can be continually used) I can very likely see astrophysics being taught to children at a young age and it would be appreciated at the very least because it directly influences everyday life.

It's a good question.. Tbh, I haven't really thought about the underlying reason why I'm for "containment". I'm just focusing on the cause/effect of what it'd take to even advance space exploration in the first place. Putting that aside, I guess my motivation is ethical. Maybe that's an irrational basis to stop "space exploration". To me though, it's even more irrational to perpetuate a culture heavily dependent on scientific discoveries and inventions, without adopting the scientific mindset. And if it ever got to the point that this got off the planet, then you'll never be able to rope anyone in again. You'll have entire clusters of humanity in space who are akin to Homer Simpson working at a nuclear plant or Afghans with stinger missles. At least here, there's a better chance of educating them. Or at least, their descendents.

Standuble

It's a good question.. Tbh, I haven't really thought about the underlying reason why I'm for "containment". I'm just focusing on the cause/effect of what it'd take to even advance space exploration in the first place. Putting that aside, I guess my motivation is ethical. Maybe that's an irrational basis to stop "space exploration". To me though, it's even more irrational to perpetuate a culture heavily dependent on scientific discoveries and inventions, without adopting the scientific mindset. And if it ever got to the point that this got off the planet, then you'll never be able to rope anyone in again. You'll have entire clusters of humanity in space who are akin to Homer Simpson working at a nuclear plant or Afghans with stinger missles. At least here, there's a better chance of educating them. Or at least, their descendents.

You make it sound like they cannot be educated. What makes you think they could be educated here any more than out in space? The only advantage I can think of is if you were trying to make sure the population went through a rigorous school system to ensure they are educated more along your guidelines, mass-implement a method of modifying their DNA, or killing them off in mass population culls they would be far easier to capture and round up if trapped on a single planet.

KDude

You make it sound like they cannot be educated. What makes you think they could be educated here any more than out in space? The only advantage I can think of is if you were trying to make sure the population went through a rigorous school system to ensure they are educated more along your guidelines, mass-implement a method of modifying their DNA, or killing them off in mass population culls they would be far easier to capture and round up if trapped on a single planet.

This kind of discipline needs to be instilled internally, over a long period of time, within the general direction (or even sentiment) of human culture itself. I'm not sure how one instills it though. If I did, I'd probably solve half of the world's problems right now. I don't think it's just about rigorous school systems, but about genuinely loving science. Something ingrained into the identity.

This got me thinking though.. I have respect for those "backwards" groups like the Amish. At least they're honest - they know full well that they don't understand a lot of modern utilities, but instead of thinking what they could gain from them, they refuse to use them. I haven't read what their actual motivation is, but I respect what little I know. Their scientific understanding and the tools they use run in parallel. They come from a time when people who used a stove or a sawmill, understood the basic principles of how those things worked. We can't say the same for modern society. The problem is hardly just nuclear weapons and stinger missles. It's almost everything. People know how to turn cranks and press buttons, but that's it. I don't know how this will be fixed. We're starting to see the effects of our stupidity already, but we just look to governments to clean it up.

Anyways, I'm about to go on rant, so I'll stop. I guess I could just say "Fuck it". Lets see where that takes us. If society ends up worse off for it, I know there's going to be survivors too.

Standuble

Anyways, I'm about to go on rant, so I'll stop. I guess I could just say "Fuck it". Lets see where that takes us. If society ends up worse off for it, I know there's going to be survivors too.

Fair enough. I don't think we will even make it to space (this colony would likely be the furthest we go) and are more or less destined to become like the Amish whether we like it or not. So the optimal methods of developing society is pure speculation in my view. You raised some good points however. Criminal or extremist elements with enough space and resources to become very serious threats. The rush for space would be like the ancient world all over again or at the very least the colonial period all over again. I personally do not think the potential of rabble should stop humanity's greatest enterprise.

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://mars-one.com/en/

Anyone heard about this? Do you think its feasible and achievable?
I just heard about it and am excited beyond words! Ever since childhood I dreamed of the possibility of humanity settling on Mars. That's how my brother, sister, and I played - we would design spaceships, settlements, working out how to terraform the planet using arctic lichens and mosses, etc. I think it is feasible. We landed on the moon using slide rules. Have you ever seen the old footage of NASA control center? It is shocking to see what they accomplished with such ancient technology. Our technology has advanced much faster than our space exploration, so our capabilities are beyond what we have seen.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
imo they should terraform it before trying to habit it with other people than researchers

S

Society

as much as i would like it to succeed (i was very excited when i first heard of this), in closer inspection this project is making too many assumptions about how the economic and media landscape will perform a decade from now. this makes it all too vulnerable to failure IMO. hopefully, other projects attempting to compete with this one utilizing a larger diversity of economic strategies will pop up, making it more likely one or more of them will succeed.

ygolo

My termites win
http://mars-one.com/en/

Anyone heard about this? Do you think its feasible and achievable?

Most of these sorts of things don't achieve their ambitious goals in the time frame given, but I think good things can come from their supposed "failures".

Without people striving for more, pushing the boundaries, and breaking assumptions, I don't think we would get very far as a species.

I hope they succeed. But I am not ready to place any bets on this particular project.