• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Windows 8

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Actually windows 8 is one of the first windows in a long time, I'ld compliment microsoft for. On a SSD hard drive it boots faster than my Linux, it has some sort of hibernate mode when it saves the system state to the hard drive, where it resides even after a physical power disconnect.

The new metro style is ok as well, makes it easier when you just want to quickly check on things. Sadly they did a complete separation between the 64bit and 32bit libs, which gave me some troubles to make a lot of old programs work. Some of them only run in a sandbox 32bit windows still.

Another good thing is that it basically kept the functionality and easy accesibility from win7. You basically can plug in any sort of hardware and it works in an instant with the correct driver.

As an office computer, win8 is definitly a good thing. Thats why I even bought it (dont remember to ever buy a windows that didnt came with a new PC). Still for engineering purposes its a long shot from Linux and real time compability :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of the complaints I've heard boil down to.... "People don't like change".
Nothing wrong with change, as long as it fixes or improves something worthwhile enough to bother getting used to it.

I haven't tried 8 myself yet. I've been forced through the XP-Vista-7 sequence at work, though switched to linux at home before ever using Vista there.

KDude

Thanks for the clarification, guys. It definitely makes sense that.. y'know, x86 applications would have to be recompiled for RT.

I'll have to do some more digging. Here's a thing I found at a cursory glance. If I give WinRT and hackin' a few months to mature, I might go for RT.

I wouldn't bother with that hack. If you really wanted x86 apps, you could get a tablet with Windows 8. You'll just want to be plugged in more often. Intel has come out with a new mobile chip to compete with ARM, but it isn't on the market yet. And even then, it's still not going to be as efficient, since x86 applications drain more power anyways. Especially games, pro audio and video, and photoshop. They're all cpu intensive.

W

WALMART

Played with a surface pro yesterday, and the money in my pocket is now on fire. If it handles the games I play currently, I'm selling my gaming rig to compensate the cost.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, I thought I had to pay for it at first, but it's badass. I guess it's the same thing as Spotify

I pay $10/month for Xbox music pass. I can listen to anything I want! But I also buy music. It doesn't control you like iTunes does! My husband is so sad that he has to wait 90 days to download HIS music because he downloaded old purchases onto a new device recently. I'm like... make the switch baby!