• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video Game Industry

Cryonium

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4/9
The video game industry is so beautiful, well playing them and reading about them is at least. The mainstream publishers with most titles no. But the indies and just enjoying a video game yes! Dont you all just luv this industry.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I am interested in how the iPad and the rise of smart phone games and the indie scene will change the game. Steam is developing 'living room friendly' PCs that run on Linux, and Steam is where it's at as far as buying games on the computer. It's cool to see artists like Edmund McMillen make major success.

And oh my god, Hotline Miami. The guy who made that knows how to build a game. He doesnt try to stuff as much as he can into the game and hope this shotgun method hits enough. Laser focus.

W

WALMART

I like mainstream titles. Large developers can do things indie studios could only dream, though I suppose I can admit insufficient funding can craft some better than novel solutions.

I am interested in how the iPad and the rise of smart phone games and the indie scene will change the game.

Well, we got the WiiU and SmartGlass, for one. I thought that whole crowdsourcing thing was really going to take off, but apparently it's already losing momentum...

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like mainstream titles. Large developers can do things indie studios could only dream, though I suppose I can admit insufficient funding can craft some better than novel solutions.

Im somewhat with you on this one. People tend to focus on the graphics when discussing the pros of mainstream titles, but other areas such as music, sound effects, animation and polish all tend to be better in the mainstream. Indie titles are good for innovation and niche interests. And they are important for that same reason. But for my day-to-day gaming? Mainstream games suite me just fine.

Kickstarter is doing something interesting for indie development. It has the power to give big publisher-size bucks to indie ideas that actual publishers would sneer at. The sort of projects I've been paying attention to are the ones that cater to the old PC gamers nostalgia gland rather than the real indie stuff (why the hell werent publishers doing this in the first place? Who knows.) Games like;

Planetary annihilation (Total Annihilation)
War for the overworld (Dungeon Keeper)
Star Citizen (Wing commander, Privateer)