• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Smart Phone should I get?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Got it activated. Surprisingly easy to type on the screen.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Curses!!! How do I get the â„¢ symbol on the Android phone OS?

I shall dub these occurrences as Cursesâ„¢.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Curses!!! How do I get the â„¢ symbol on the Android phone OS?

I shall dub these occurrences as Cursesâ„¢.

this might help you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro&hl

its nice to have even for other purposes than just typing tm. i got this black market app which is basically a pirate android market for free full version of apps(just be sure to check those cracked apps out with some app permission viewer and virus shit).

ps. its stupid that they didnt show the horizontal view of the app there, its really nice when used with partially transparent skin

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
Galaxy S3... good choice! I wasn't a fan of the Note II either (might work better for women who could carry it in their purse) as the S3 pushed the envelope of carry-able size to the limit and a millimeter more would put you over the edge I think.

Personally I chose the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro over another S3 (which I am familiar with as my wife has it) due to the waterproofing, gorilla glass, and shockproof design. I try to write things on my laptop as much as possible so it doesn't make as big of difference to me, but the S3 is excellent if you're looking for a tablet/phone compromise and my wife often writes long texts and emails on it without problems.

Also, because it's a leading industry model you can get loads of platform support. If you're good with computers I would suggest installing CyanogenMod. Since it's such a popular model, the latest build is rock solid and has a lot of cool features not available on the stock ROM... plus no bloatware so your phone runs faster.

To add to what other posters said, there are some excellent pre-paid services these days.

In the US, I like MySimpleMobile.com. Unlimited everything is $50 and runs on T-Mobile network (same plan costs $90 directly from T-Mobile). You could cop the difference of a $500 contract phone subsidy in just a little over a year.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you basically would choose a contract in which you have to pay more than $20 a month, its a rip-off. I have work colleagues who pay for their Iphones $100 a month an who still have to pay for their old Iphone models. Thats a huge waste of money on just a phone. For $300 you already get a small netbook, which is easy to carry and equipped with Linux a dozens of times more useful.
This is what I have, for just these reasons.

I use an Android Optimus V with the Virgin Mobile $35/mo. Unlimited Data and Texting + 500 anytime minutes plan.

I like Androids-- love mine, in fact-- but I'd recommend going with an iPhone because they're uncomplicated and don't require as much app-finding to get how you want them. Functional, if not fully customizable. I think Virgin does a pretty cheap iPhone-supporting plan as well, comparable to the one I use if not identical.
How have you addressed the security aspects of your phone: everything from security of data if lost or stolen, to hacking/eavesdropping/spyware, to their potential use to track your whereabouts? This is the main reason why I do not have a cell phone.

But then what do you do when you're bored in public?
Read, or work on my netbook. (TypoC can wait.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How have you addressed the security aspects of your phone: everything from security of data if lost or stolen, to hacking/eavesdropping/spyware, to their potential use to track your whereabouts? This is the main reason why I do not have a cell phone.

I'm more worried about something along the lines of this happening.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm more worried about something along the lines of this happening.
So you are worried that, while you are using your phone to check out some girl, she is checking you out, and realizes you are checking her out . . . Oy Vey. The solution here is obvious.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you are worried that, while you are using your phone to check out some girl, she is checking you out, and realizes you are checking her out . . . Oy Vey. The solution here is obvious.

No, apparently the mobile app locates other mobile users in the area and the distance of their device from my device. And I physically saw one of those mobile users in the store I was in. That was just an awkward feeling, hence, I handled it in a mature fashion and got rid of the app.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, apparently the mobile app locates other mobile users in the area and the distance of their device from my device. And I physically saw one of those mobile users in the store I was in. That was just an awkward feeling, hence, I handled it in a mature fashion and got rid of the app.
Seems like the up-close-and-personal version of the general tracking problem. Is there a way to block being located, other than turning off your phone and removing the battery?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Reverb. It does everything I need without a huge pricetag. I also have Virgin service and the price is unbeatable (300min/unlimited text and data - $25/mo). I would never consider a contact. My husband has an iPhone 4 and he's said many times he would rather have my phone.
How did you get this? I didn't find any unlimited text/data at this price on their websitel The cheapest was $35/month, as Engineer mentions. This adds up fast, for something I have lived quite well without so far.

I use an Android Optimus V with the Virgin Mobile $35/mo. Unlimited Data and Texting + 500 anytime minutes plan.

I like Androids-- love mine, in fact-- but I'd recommend going with an iPhone because they're uncomplicated and don't require as much app-finding to get how you want them. Functional, if not fully customizable. I think Virgin does a pretty cheap iPhone-supporting plan as well, comparable to the one I use if not identical.
I assume both of you with Virgin service bought your phone from them also. Apparently they require it, and the phones seem expensive. What are the options for buying a phone separate from the service? I see phones for sale all over the place, so it must be common enough.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
How did you get this? I didn't find any unlimited text/data at this price on their websitel The cheapest was $35/month, as Engineer mentions. This adds up fast, for something I have lived quite well without so far.

Because I had Virgin service prior to them raising the price from $25/mo to $35/mo.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Might not be related to the topic, but I'm not liking the fact that Android phones are getting bigger and bigger.

I might just get an iPhone for the slim factor.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
CellPhoneWithRotaryDial.jpg

Attachments

• CellPhoneWithRotaryDial.jpg
    CellPhoneWithRotaryDial.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 122

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Might not be related to the topic, but I'm not liking the fact that Android phones are getting bigger and bigger.

I might just get an iPhone for the slim factor.
True, but there are still a decent amount of relatively smaller ones, like 4" and 4.3". Plus a lot of them have smaller bezels; compared with older phones of a smaller screen that have larger bezels, they really are not much bigger, if at all.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
True, but there are still a decent amount of relatively smaller ones, like 4" and 4.3". Plus a lot of them have smaller bezels; compared with older phones of a smaller screen that have larger bezels, they really are not much bigger, if at all.

But then I'll be settling for substandard specs T.T

I want my quad-core snapdragon S4 too.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CellPhoneWithRotaryDial.jpg

must appeal to the same hipster "I don't know if I like new stuff or old stuff" crowd that loves Apple so much.