• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Smart Phone should I get?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
The average American uses about 2gb a month (source: it's on the internet somewhere) but it depends hugely on what you use. Games, movies, and streaming music suck down way more data than anything else.

Personally, I like android because where iPhones are consumer electronic devices, android phones are hobby kits. And I don't use data plans at all anymore. I find paying piecemeal for data insulting somehow and wifi off my home internet works better. (And is useless if one is on the move, but I don't use services that require constant updates, so whatev.)

G

Glycerine

And you pay what per month on your current plan? What do you have as part of your plan (as in how many voice and texting minutes and how many gigs of data)? Who is your carrier?

Verizon- over $100 for unlimited data & text with 450 minutes. But it was part of Verizon's old data plans.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
And you pay what per month on your current plan? What do you have as part of your plan (as in how many voice and texting minutes and how many gigs of data)? Who is your carrier?

just get unlimited data and pay for individual texts and mins called if you want to use internet freely and dont make shit loads of calls and send texts all the time. also you might want to look at getting the phone unlocked, if the those debt plans cost like 100bucks..

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just picked up a Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8, as I used Office 365/Windows 8 for my business. I like it, is taking me some getting used too as I've been an iPhone user for so many years :happy2:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
just get unlimited data and pay for individual texts and mins called if you want to use internet freely and dont make shit loads of calls and send texts all the time. also you might want to look at getting the phone unlocked, if the those debt plans cost like 100bucks..

Does Sprint (not including Virgin Mobile, which I will not get, because um... :whistling:) offer a plan that involves pay-as-you-go minutes and texts in addition to unlimited data? I don't need the 450 minutes a month, because don't think I even use up five minutes each month and I ignore texts when I get them.

I'm highly interested in the Galaxy Note II, and only the major carriers (the "Big Four," if you will) carry it.

Speaking of the "Big Four" cell phone carriers, shall we assign a Keirsey temperament to each?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does Sprint (not including Virgin Mobile, which I will not get, because um... :whistling:) offer a plan that involves pay-as-you-go minutes and texts in addition to unlimited data? I don't need the 450 minutes a month, because don't think I even use up five minutes each month and I ignore texts when I get them.

I'm highly interested in the Galaxy Note II, and only the major carriers (the "Big Four," if you will) carry it.

Speaking of the "Big Four" cell phone carriers, shall we assign a Keirsey temperament to each?

No idea. We have our own companies in finland and they have totally different contracts.

I suggest you test that note in a store, it seems awfully big and you might not like it, more like some tablet/phone hybrid. Personally i find my galaxy s2 the perfect compromize between the size of screen and still keeping the phone at reasonably size.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course, the Galaxy S2 is not as expensive, and therefore inferior.

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
I am of the opinion that having 2 devices is a lot smarter.

Buy a dumbphone/basic phone for actual calls, texting. Keep another device for actually doing things and browsing the web. And you don't even need a data plan IMO with free Wifi. If that's not good enough, a G connection can be shared as a Wifi hotspot too and save money if you know somebody who would be willing to do it.

You can multitask easier since you can be on the phone while using the other device. Plus it means you get better battery life, since one device doesn't need to do it all. And it gives you a LOT more choice. People who look for the best smartphones box themselves into all the big carriers in the US, due to all the different telecommunications networks (unlike Europe where its' more SIM based) and since all the big carriers have the latest stuff so it's where you have to go. By freeing yourself up from needing a device that has to double as a phone and a phablet, you now have more choice by default.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Not yet, I am still procrastinating on it. I hate dealing with salespeople.

Why? It's pretty easy if you go in knowing what you want (which you should have a fairly good idea of from online research), and then just tell them you know what you want. If they offer anything else, "no thanks." Or you could just order the phone online.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why? It's pretty easy if you go in knowing what you want (which you should have a fairly good idea of from online research), and then just tell them you know what you want. If they offer anything else, "no thanks." Or you could just order the phone online.

But I don't know which plan to get yet. And something tells me that the internet is not showing all the fine print, and something tells me that neither do the salesmen.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
But I don't know which plan to get yet. And something tells me that the internet is not showing all the fine print, and something tells me that neither do the salesmen.

You get a certain amount of talking minutes / data. If you go over it, you pay for it. You have probably a 1-2 year contract. Not much else to it, man!

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldnt buy one right now, prices are high. The last Iphone hype is over and more people look for Iphone alternatives, so HTC and Samsung entered the high price policy as well.

Generally I can advice you to never buy a handy with a contract. I have for 3 years now a Desire Z which costed me $450 by the time. I paied that in full and got myself a prepaid provider. Those providers send you a sim card, which you can have automatically paid monthly, so you do not need to manually recharge it. They call it postpaid now. I have a monthly fix price of $2 per month and pay per minute 9 pence. Included in this package is a 200MB data tarif which more than suffices per month. I roughly pay $5 per month, not using sms no more. I am using the mobile for business so it needs to be reliable and it is.

When you basically would choose a contract in which you have to pay more than $20 a month, its a rip-off. I have work colleagues who pay for their Iphones $100 a month an who still have to pay for their old Iphone models. Thats a huge waste of money on just a phone. For $300 you already get a small netbook, which is easy to carry and equipped with Linux a dozens of times more useful.

Be careful with high-priced models, its a huge rip-off at the moment, cause people are stupid. Give it another year or two and this hype will end and the phones will be reasonably priced again. The concept behind every of these phones are basically powerful mikroprocessors who are able to run small operating systems. Here's an example of such a thing, this "computer" is even able to run Linux. I have one as logic for a media center at my home: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

The raspberry costs roughly $25 and the same applies for smartphones. The most costy is prolly the display but the manufactures roughly earn between 300 - 700% depending on how high their high price policy is.

Especially do never support apple ! They are not only very costy and dont even build their own phones, but buy their parts; they are inhuman as well. Its only one month ago when there was a huge uprising in one of their factories in China. Buying stuff from them, you'ld support third world exploitation...

If you really want a phone right now, look for older models or used ones. The older ones are first generation and pretty solid. The HTC Desire is a good beginner model. You should be able to acquire one very cheaply. I wouldnt pay more than $150. Thats about what they are really worth.

I did a similar thing to you, I got my Motorola RAZR MAXX in July 2012. Paid about $700 upfront for the phone (for a gauge, iPhone 5 and S3 is about $1200 in Singapore without contract) and bought a prepaid sim card to go along with it.

Might not be as shiny as the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3, but I won't have to worry about monthly contracts and overshooting bills. My monthly expenses for my phone is $10 because I don't really need to call/text/3G much. Much more worth it imo.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Galaxy Note II is a bit too big and doesn't look like it'll fit in my pocket very well. Aside from the pen and a slightly more advanced version of Android, how different is the Galaxy S III?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno, but I'm starting to find the Note to be the equivalent of those giant TV remotes for old people.

haha

maybe. I like keeping things simple. I could use it for everything all on my hip and I like that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Got the Galaxy S III. Waiting for it to port over my number and then activate it.