• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NASA OR THE BIBLE

bedeviled1

I saw on the news that NASA put out a video to calm the fears of people who were concerned about the Myan prophecy Doomsday prediction. They were assuring people that the world was NOT going to end anytime soon. That tomorrow will be just like today.
It occured to me that a lot of people today are looking to scientists for assurance and comfort in things concerning the future (and the past).
Do you think that it is wise for people to shift their trust in the future from sources such as the Bible ,religous leaders, counsellors ... to the scientific elite?
HTML:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In this case, yes...since obviously their faith isn't helping and might even be contributing to their fear. Science can actually speak convincingly on Mayan Armageddon.

Beorn

Permabanned
In this case, yes...since obviously their faith isn't helping and might even be contributing to their fear. Science can actually speak convincingly on Mayan Armageddon.

No they can't.

Science can only guess at what will happen tomorrow as they have no control over it and no direct knowledge of the future.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you actually literally go for the Biblical interpretation of events, then armageddon cannot be today! Why? Because the Bible prophesies of so many other things, many things needing to happen before the armageddon, that have not yet come to pass.

There is also an important distinction between an apocalypse, which just means a major change, and armageddon, which is the final battle, culminating in the end.

So it is quite clear that the end will not be today, though whether it is the beginning of the end, or just another average day remains to be seen.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Many people look to the wrong sources for answers. I don't read photography books in order to write better software.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I look to science to answer the questions science is best equipped to answer and I look to religion to answer the questions religion is best equipped to answer. I don't see why we have to choose.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is also an important distinction between an apocalypse, which just means a major change, and armageddon, which is the final battle, culminating in the end.
Well, actually Armageddon is just a reference to Tel Megiddo; in any case, the description in Revleation of what happens after the final battle sounds more like a spiritual matter than the end of the world - perhaps "the end of the world" comes after the "1,000 year reign of Christ" described?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, actually Armageddon is just a reference to Tel Megiddo; in any case, the description in Revleation of what happens after the final battle sounds more like a spiritual matter than the end of the world - perhaps "the end of the world" comes after the "1,000 year reign of Christ" described?

Yes perhaps you are right. I think some religious cosmologies posit the Earth will be transformed into some kind of higher state, after the return of Christ and the millenium of peace, of course.

Still though, I have a hard time believing it is all literally true.

Personally, I believe it is healthier to bring the future into our own hands, rather then letting fate and the whim of the Gods dictate its course.

bedeviled1

If you actually literally go for the Biblical interpretation of events, then armageddon cannot be today! Why? Because the Bible prophesies of so many other things, many things needing to happen before the armageddon, that have not yet come to pass.

So it is quite clear that the end will not be today, though whether it is the beginning of the end, or just another average day remains to be seen.

Hmm

bedeviled1

Yes perhaps you are right. I think some religious cosmologies posit the Earth will be transformed into some kind of higher state, after the return of Christ and the millenium of peace, of course.

Still though, I have a hard time believing it is all literally true.

Personally, I believe it is healthier to bring the future into our own hands, rather then letting fate and the whim of the Gods dictate its course.

What if God began our future?

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not even the Angels know when the world will end, and neither does NASA. You should live each day as if it was your last (could be a good or bad thing).

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Anyone who believed the world would end today was too fucking retarded to understand something NASA says anyway, so why bother?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if God began our future?

Then the next question in the chain is, "What began God?"

The easy answer is that he has always existed, though somehow such an explanation doesn't really seem to explain anything.

I think the reason we are here is because there is consciousness, as without it, even if reality existed, there would be nothing to perceive it, hence it would be as if it didn't exist.

It follows that if you wish to seriously pursue this question, you should began by discovering the nature of the mind, as it seems to be the mind that creates our world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would be a case otherwise do you think?

I think EffEmDoubleYou spoke about that in general, when he said you trust science with science stuff and religion with religious stuff.

If I want to worry about my spiritual well-being and my own conceptions of morality, it makes more sense to go to religious sources. And if I need heart surgery, I would go to a doctor; or if I want to understand how the world works and statistically what the odds are that it will end tonight (and a review of the evidence), I'd look more toward science.

Religion has a terrible track record on "end of the world" scenarios, you know that, right? Every time someone has said from a religious standpoint that "the end of the world is coming," they have been utterly and completely wrong.

Not even the Angels know when the world will end, and neither does NASA. You should live each day as if it was your last (could be a good or bad thing).

That is a decent pragmatic answer. I mean, really -- we should be making the most of life each day regardless.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No they can't.

Science can only guess at what will happen tomorrow as they have no control over it and no direct knowledge of the future.

You preclude the possibility that divine intervention may be a fiction of man's imagination.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think that it is wise for people to shift their trust in the future from sources such as the Bible ,religous leaders, counsellors ... to the scientific elite?
HTML:
We can't trust any, they all have agendas!

Anyways, common sense alone should exclude bible as a reference. From there, it gets less obvious.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this no-brainer of what things each system is good at really going to become yet another unnecessary polarized conflict between the religious and science extremists?

I mean, really. The Mayan doomsday was kind of one big cultural joke from the start; and it's pretty clear that science isn't perfect, but there is no data that would indicate the world would end today, and religious "end of world" scenarios have simply not proven themselves when they've been promoted without any real data either... which, is like, every time through now.

It's just a joke Doomsday. What's the big deal?