• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NASA OR THE BIBLE

bedeviled1

Since the Enlighenment in the West in the 17th and 18th centuries we have valued evidence and reason more than astrology, mbti, the bible, religious leaders, and counsellors.

And as the work of scientists is based on evidence and reason, we value the advice of scientists more than the advice of the superstitious.

Yes I see but does all the scientific data prove for a fact that all this is definately beyond superstition or do you also have to have some faith in the system?

W

WALMART

No they can't.

Science can only guess at what will happen tomorrow as they have no control over it and no direct knowledge of the future.

Half of me wishes to be a non-reductionist. The other half bitch slaps me back to reality.

FTR: NASA.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I shouldn't have brought religion into it. Maybe religion doesn't have much to do with the Bibles authority. What do you think?

What proven authority does the Bible have? i can't see that it has any, unless someone believes it with a clean conscience to be true. If you believe it is true, then you need to take pains to follow it, however.

Science is a little different. It doesn't really matter whether you want to believe you're going to fly when you walk off a cliff, you will still fall, and the results will be observable by everyone who watches.

Lark

What proven authority does the Bible have? i can't see that it has any, unless someone believes it with a clean conscience to be true. If you believe it is true, then you need to take pains to follow it, however.

Science is a little different. It doesn't really matter whether you want to believe you're going to fly when you walk off a cliff, you will still fall, and the results will be observable by everyone who watches.

Comparing religion and science is apples and oranges.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Comparing religion and science is apples and oranges.

Yes, I think that's pretty implicit in what people have been saying.

Are they both even fruit?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Relative certainty is more certain in local time scales.

For the past few thousand years, on any given day one would be able to look around and see nothing pressing which would end the world on the very next day.

This is because on any given day in the present you can make a localized prediction on things that is simply going from that day to the next day. This happens over and over again, kind of like a weather forecast.

You might try to predict the weather 5000 years from now, but if on the 4999th year and 364th day it looks like it will be just any other day, then the more recent prediction will be the more accurate one.

If that isn't true then you can't actually predict anything and the whole thing is moot.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I appreciate that you said , I might be mistaken.

Well, I can't say for certain anything as I haven't yet transcended. :D

In all honesty, I can't claim myself to be an expert on the Bible; though I did promise myself to give a thorough read of the New Testament by the end of winter so as to make sure my views are correct (I'll also read a few gospels that haven't made it into the New Testament). Not that I haven't already read a big part of it, it's just that I haven't been paying attention to all the details before.

Beorn

Permabanned
It can correlate mystical experience with neurosynaptic firing.

You know I was about to argue that it then ceases to be merely science by definition. However, I was reminded that science used to have a much broader meaning than dealing with materialism. In fact I'm quite a fan of the old "queen of the sciences."

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where is the line between materialism and spirituality then if our thoughts and emotions indeed our very being can be accessed physically?

bedeviled1

To me its hard to dismiss the Bible completely. A lot of people believe that many of the historical facts have been confirmed by other historians so it doesnt change anything whether i believe it or not. what anyone belivies to be true is up to them but it doesnt make anything right or wrong. Me, Im just saying I cant put my trust completely in the hands of scientists. i will try to look at the evidence objectively but as for now I think theres too many links, each one depending on the other to say what happened a billion years ago. common sense says you can only theorize and guess that it happened. maybe it did, maybe not.

There are things that have been proven (people cant fly without some assistance, Issac Newton) and some things that have not (the theories of global warming, evolution, the big bang...) Not to believe these things are fact is to be a heretic today.

Mole

Permabanned
That too is a theory albeit a very interesting one, which I think the Hadron Collider? , as far as I can understand hasn't produced the particle they were looking for to join the theory of relativity and gravity. (Do not quote me on that)

All these theories and mega number of examples and studies and trillions of dollars. But, were getting close. It seems with enough research you can have a theory on just about anything but if you just stop and look around then (I) wonder about just how valid they are.
You know one thing that amazes me is a briar. Yes, they are made/evolved so they grab you in a way to hold on the more you pull. Hmmm, that's just something to me.

Our most accurate scientific theory is quantum mechanics and it is accurate to ten decimal places and counting.

Quantum mechanics is so accurate we can only describe it as a fact.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes I see but does all the scientific data prove for a fact that all this is definately beyond superstition or do you also have to have some faith in the system?

Rather than faith, scientists have scepticism. And they are sceptical about their own data, their own theories, their own methods, and their own hypotheses. And this is how science progresses.

bedeviled1

Our most accurate scientific theory is quantum mechanics and it is accurate to ten decimal places and counting.

Quantum mechanics is so accurate we can only describe it as a fact.

we can only describe it as fact. so its fact, right? no. There are other words that would be accurate, fact aint one of them. If quantum physics was fact we would cease to spend billions of dollars to prove it and feed the world.