• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Universal AC adapter?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like one company is trying to solve this problem once and for all-

Support grows for universal power adapter | The Industry Standard

The company: Green Plug - Universal Power Adapter - DC Power Converter & Charger - One World. One Plug.

The concept is a universal AC adapter with a standard hookup that other electronics will have to support (including some microchip and firmware in their device) so that when they hook up, the exact power requirements are negotiated through some digital interface included with the plug and the AC adapter will begin sending the proper power across the wire.

Neat idea, I think they're going to have a big uphill battle getting other electronics mfr's to comply, although Westinghouse has pledged their cooperation. I would imagine they could also make "Green Plug-to-legacy-power" adapters, ie a small node with the firmware built in that connects to the Green Plug and provides a typical legacy-style coaxial jack on the other end.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
IT'S ABOUT TIME. I told someone recently "It won't be long before they have an industry standard for power connectors, just like USB"