• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Confused While Searching For A New Desktop

Mole

Permabanned
So I guess that means you won't be using one then, eh? :)

Mac that is.

It's true I am passing fond of a little devil in upstate NY, but is this enough to tempt me to a PC?

It's true a PC is a passport to the Other Place, but would I want to imperil my immortal soul for a dalliance with a dainty devil?

It would depend entirely on the tone of her voice.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
people at work who work in the film industry [ hint ] say that juxtaposed to Macs, PC's are

~ slow , too vulnerable to viruses

i concede on their behalf that this may be subjective

The part about viruses is indeed subjective. If Mac was the market leader there would be just as much viruses. Or Unix for that matter.

I'm a network administrator for an entirely windows based network. The choices for me are mainly :

-flexibility : I can add RAM to a machine, I can replace a hard disk etc with minimal hassle. As far as I'm aware you have to turn in Macs for that sort of stuff.
-cost
-the enormous amount of available utilities for windows systems
-conformity (office documents have been a professional standard for the past 10 years, and only recently there are free, truely trustworthy alternatives (OpenOffice, PDF, ...). This is particulary applicable in the exchange of data files with other companies & people.
-rightclicking...and so on

I'm definitely not against mac. My first computer was the 1st generation imac. It's not all black-white.

clueless

Permabanned
truely trustworthy alternatives (OpenOffice, PDF, ...). This is particulary applicable in the exchange of data files with other companies & people.

yes, well this reminds me of the time I tried to download a PDF document that I had read before, or so I thought. I simply needed to study up on a topic and thought I'd reread it. However what I found was a version of a children's story. You might know of it. It was titled THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF.

The word "trustworthy" means different things in different contexts.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have been an Apple computer owner for 31 years running, and my experience with the company has been good to say the least. I've never had a problem with any of my machines, including the 10-year-old Mac this is being typed on. ;)
I call bullshit, unless you lived in the Bay Area and own (or owned) one of the mere couple hundred Apple I PC kits, or an Apple II the moment they came out in the same area.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
2. Get a top-of-the-line machine for $1000 and replace it in ten years when parts begin to fail (or begin replacing parts, which could extend the computer's life by a few years, but may not be worth the cost).
They'll start failing before that. Current computer hardware appears to start failing within a few years, and by the time it does the replacement parts are usually scarce. Again, computers are now designed to be effectively disposable.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I call bullshit, unless you lived in the Bay Area and own (or owned) one of the mere couple hundred Apple I PC kits, or an Apple II the moment they came out in the same area.

It was an Apple ][.

cheers,
Ian

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember using a Commodore Pet, back then. That is unless someone calls bullshit on me, too :devil:
I'd believe that, but those were also dramatically more common than the rather rare (at least initially) Apple II.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Agreed... unfortunately, there's also another sillier reason... they've just become inured to the Windows start bar, and min, max, close buttons at the top right of the screen configured in that Windows style...
Like driving on the other side of the road, only more confounding. However much I enjoy using my Mac, I share EffEmDoubleyou's reflexive preference. More intuitive or not, the Windows GUI is completely tucked into my cerebellum. With the Mac, I still need to think.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
yes, well this reminds me of the time I tried to download a PDF document that I had read before, or so I thought. I simply needed to study up on a topic and thought I'd reread it. However what I found was a version of a children's story. You might know of it. It was titled THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF.

uh...hehe.
cyberspace, the real world, false promises...no difference :)