• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How fast is your internet?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i did. I thought maybe you could get internet from them for some reason. like maybe they offered it to employees, or guests, or they were internet service providers in some areas

I have been duped! Curse you, entropie!

Hehe, no I found them on the internet and think its the official bandwidth of the company complex. Quite nasty with 1000 Mb/s downstream :D. I at home have a sucky DSL line with about 1,6 Mb/s. Had a cable connection before for 15 yrs which was pretty nice but my gf and me managed to move into a place with crappy internet connection and that tho we are living in the biggest metropolitan area in the EU...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Wow. My router conveniently crapped itself so I swapped it out with another that I had laying around and the Mb/s went up by 20

So it's 32.21 now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. My router conveniently crapped itself so I swapped it out with another that I had laying around and the Mb/s went up by 20

So it's 32.21 now.

Sounds like your old router took one for the team.
Its sacrifice will not be forgotten!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So it's 32.21 now.

I have heard that's the best way to speed up your connection if it's more than 2 years old.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have heard that's the best way to speed up your connection if it's more than 2 years old.

Probably not as good as swapping out the router, but I was able to boost a shitty internet connection with the help of a wifi adapter. It's kind of a band-aid solution, but it was fairly cheap and worked in a pinch. :yes:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do some of you survive with speeds that slow? I wouldn't make it.

There was a time when it was much slower. I had a satellite dish for a while in the early 2000s before DSL and Cable were available in my area and before that, it was dial-up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a time when it was much slower. I had a satellite dish for a while in the early 2000s before DSL and Cable were available in my area and before that, it was dial-up.

WOO HOO! DIAL-UP!!!

I remember there not being websites, I had to dial up independently run BBS's.

And then AOL was trundled out.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
WOO HOO! DIAL-UP!!!

I remember there not being websites, I had to dial up independently run BBS's.

And then AOL was trundled out.

Haha yeah, my cousin and I were downloading games on the C64 long before AOL.

I miss that thing, it was cool.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

Yeah it was pretty old. I think the firmware storage got scrambled.

It used to need a reboot about once a month but it suddenly quit working every 1 to 5 minutes and needed a reset, and that didn't go away even from restoring it to factory settings. So I think it's pretty dead now.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
2327934155.png

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
2327991759.png

lolkay.

Heehee, I can see where you guys are using your computers.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How Fast Is Your Download Speed?

http://testmy.net/download

This is a nonflash-based internet speed test site. It measures your real download/upload/mixed-test speeds using varying amounts of data. It also "gets smarter the more you use it and makes adjustments specific to your computer for a high level of accuracy." I would like it better if it improved my download speed so that it matched my ISP's advertised speed rating.

I've taken 3 tests and so far the results are accurate concerning the file download speeds I've recorded in the past. I haven't tested on youtube's speed test since I changed ISPs.

On an ISP-advertised 50 Mbps connection, I'm really getting 7.3 Mbps or 914 kB/s. But my browser has measured over 1000 KB/s on some downloads like windows updates.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
2324331097.png

It would be more interesting if you said which country each of you come from. I know NZ internet speed is mediocre at best.

EDIT: Ugh, duh. It's written on it. :doh:

[MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] you make me very jealous.

SMH, my internet is the homeless guy even homeless people get grossed out by.

2331734562.png

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
2332653456.png

It is somewhat limited by my WLAN connection in this room (might be able to squeeze out a bit more by changing the channel, but it is less stable), internet bandwith is 50 Mbit down / 2.5 Mbit up.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Currently 10Mbps, but going to get a 500Mbps soon.

(And by soon, I probably mean sometime the next year, le procrastinator! The new cables have been laid in my town so it's already possible though.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Currently 10Mbps, but going to get a 500Mbps soon.

(And by soon, I probably mean sometime the next year, le procrastinator! The new cables have been laid in my town so it's already possible though.)

Are you running a business?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know why you people have to run speedtest.net every time. The results vary too much. I can get 28, 19, 12, 32, 14, 7, all within a 5 minute span.

I used to use toast.net in my dialup days. It's a download speed test, but for my present purposes the files are too small. Testmy.net does not test your bandwidth, it tests download speed. And that's really what it's all about since most of us aren't serving any files.

On Testmy.net, you can download up to 200 MB per test. This gives you a more accurate picture over the duration of the test. If you have slower internet then you can choose to download a wide range of smaller files. Or you can just go for the quick test.