• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need suggestions on best choice to stay connected during power outages

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was difficult not being able to let people online know that we were okay, and also not being able to watch TV or access the internet to see what was going on. The radio wasn't the best at giving out certain information and would often direct people to "go to our website". So, I think it's worth it to spend a little to be better prepared in the future, but I'm not sure what route to take that will fit within our finances and offer the access I need.

Should I just smarten up my cell phone a bit? Get a tablet? Get a laptop?

What are the pros and cons to each (cell towers down, costs too much, difficult to recharge during outage)?

Anyone have any experience with what worked best for you?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Smart phone or something else with data is probably the easiest option to get internet for power outages - not exactly sure how good the networks are during a widespread power outage, but probably better than any alternatives. If you could count on wifi being available somewhere (generator or whatever), laptop/netbook would also work. Smart phones can access wifi too so presumably (?) could still do that if something was wrong with the cell towers. You can get a smart phone for under 200$ now, no contract, if you aren't too picky about the bells and whistles. Or for free with a very reasonable contract if you shop around.

For just hearing the news, a battery- or hand-powered radio is probably the most reliable, or just connecting with your neighbours who probably have something similar.

(disclaimer: theoretical only, was not in that situation luckily. glad you're ok though!)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Battery powered AM radio.

Don't bother with the FM band. AM is where it's at if you want to find out about anything.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the suggestions, [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION].

I'll look into getting a smarter phone. I just got the one I have two years ago and it's already so outdated that it isn't even funny. I guess I'll just have to budget to keep up-to-date in case of emergencies.

I'll have to check out the AM stations here a little better. The FM station we listened to this time was a talk station, so most of the information was from people calling in, which was good if they were in my area, but useless to me if they weren't. Knowing whether the Lincoln Tunnel was open or not was useful to lots of people who commute, but not to me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it depends on how safe you want to be, exactly.

Scenario 1: Normal Power Failure

You would be fine with a smartphone, and some way of charging it like the above posters have said.

Scenario 2: Communication Infrastructure Failure

This assumes that even the cell towers are affected by whatever has occurred. In this case, you might need something a bit different.

There are such things as Satellite Internet and Satellite Phones. These don't rely on the local cell towers, and are often the only way of getting service out in the middle of a desert or something.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks, [MENTION=15315]UniqueMixture[/MENTION]. The link had some good info.

The first two days, I couldn't even get a signal because cell towers were down and my phone isn't capable of accessing wifi. Maybe if I get a wifi capable phone, I'll be better off. As for text messaging and IM--well, you're talking about old people here--none of my siblings text or IM. One of them can't even retrieve voice mail from her cell phone without a big production. I know, I know...it's sad. *shakes head in shame for having such non-tech-savvy siblings* Having email and FaceBook access would work best for me, so it's looking like getting a smarter phone is probably the answer.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ooh! [MENTION=536]Athenian200[/MENTION], I'll have to do some research into satellite phones. Are they expensive?

ETA: Only $1100 for the phone. Ummm, I think that's more than I can afford. There were cheaper ones, but still too expensive for me. Plus plan costs.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ooh! [MENTION=536]Athenian200[/MENTION], I'll have to do some research into satellite phones. Are they expensive?

ETA: Only $1100 for the phone. Ummm, I think that's more than I can afford. There were cheaper ones, but still too expensive for me. Plus plan costs.

Satellite Internet for some kind of netbook is a bit cheaper, I believe... apparently the phones ARE really expensive because of the convenience.

But still, that's an option. If you don't have the money, though, you may well be limited to radio reception and/or hoping the cell towers hold out. Ideally, though, you want to have all possible methods open. A terrestrial line, something that can send/receive terrestrial radio signals, and something that can use the satellites. Because there are things that can mess with all three, and there's not much chance of them all happening at once.