• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alzheimer: "Type 3 Diabetes?"

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Note: Type 3 Diabetes is just a reference to the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...ood-catastrophic-effect?mobile-redirect=false

I'm quite sure most people already know what Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are referenced to.

But as a refresher for Type 1, you were born with it.

And for Type 2, what you've eaten has caused you to get insulin resistance.

Now they are finding out that Alzheimer may be related. Foods that we often think of causing a higher likelihood of diabetes (junk foods and [overly] processed foods[such as high fructose corn syrup that is prevalent on almost every food on the shelves) may also cause Alzheimer (whether earlier in life or later in life.)

They are still researching. But if there is a case of Alzheimer with our diets, that is another case against the overblown processed food we have.

EDIT: Type 1 Diabetes: "you're not actually born with it. It typically presents itself when a person is around 10-13 years of age."

Last edited:

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
But as a refresher for Type 1, you were born with it.

And for Type 2, what you've eaten has caused you to get insulin resistance.
From what I understand about Type 1 (my wife is a Type 1 diabetic), you're not actually born with it. It typically presents itself when a person is around 10-13 years of age. It's an autoimmune disease that results from the body recognizing part of the pancreas as a pathogen, destroying its insulin producing function. There is evidence supporting the idea that the cause could be either genetic or viral, but nothing yet conclusive.

I thought Alzheimer's was genetic disease, which would conflict with this idea. In fact, I remember Michio Kaku getting a DNA test to see if he had the Alzheimer's gene because his parents or grandparents had it. Has this changed? Is Alzheimer's now viewed differently?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I understand about Type 1 (my wife is a Type 1 diabetic), you're not actually born with it. It typically presents itself when a person is around 10-13 years of age. It's an autoimmune disease that results from the body recognizing part of the pancreas as a pathogen, destroying its insulin producing function. There is evidence supporting the idea that the cause could be either genetic or viral, but nothing yet conclusive.

I thought Alzheimer's was genetic disease, which would conflict with this idea. In fact, I remember Michio Kaku getting a DNA test to see if he had the Alzheimer's gene because his parents or grandparents had it. Has this changed? Is Alzheimer's now viewed differently?

Yes, :doh: your wife is correct.

Don't take my word for it.

They are speculating that Alzheimer's is a metabolic disease. In that article, it has been speculated that it was a metabolic diseases since 2005 (and apparently to that article, more evidence has been given towards it being a metabolic one.) Although, I do think genetics play a factor on who are more likely to get Alzheimer's and how early. It is like people who has genes that cause them to retain fat easier than those without the gene. The first is more likely to get into obesity (and a list of other symptoms if these people do not watch what they eat) because of the gene while the second is less likely. In a similar case, the people with the genes that can affects Alzheimer's Disease are more likely to get it than those that don't.

To give an example, one of my parents has diabetes 2. That alone gives me a risk of diabetes 2. If Alzheimer's is a metabolic disease, then I am also more likely to get an onslaught of Alzheimer's when I grow old (that is, if I don't eat properly and let insulin run wild.) That is because the role that causes Alzheimer's is like the role that causes diabetes. That is, insulin resistance.

How Alzheimer's would work is probably similar to how diabetes work.