• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Boson found!! Possibly Higgs!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does this higgs-Boson, whatever that is have anything to do with higher dimensions?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Higgs boson has to do with the unification of field guage theory and understanding how particles "get" their mass/how mass works in particles. The standard model cannot explain certain phenomena most importantly it contradicts general relativity in certain situations such as what happens at the event horizon of a black hole/happened at the big bang. Higgs could help on the grand quest for a unified theory of physics aka a theory of everything that would explain all physical interaction

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Exciting! It'll be even better when everything gets all packaged up with more data and cross-checked into something more than a blip on the radar.

Don't want this turning into another "neutrinos faster than the speed of light" thing.

Lark

Its not true that the higgs-bonson holds the universe together.

That is me does that.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
champagne_cork_1385836c.jpg

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Exciting! It'll be even better when everything gets all packaged up with more data and cross-checked into something more than a blip on the radar.

Don't want this turning into another "neutrinos faster than the speed of light" thing.

It was a 5 sigma event, very high probability. this is a bit different than the neutrino situation. there is a 99.99995 chance the result can be reproduced.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm just waiting this discovery to translate into different tech on the market.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Higgs boson has to do with the unification of field guage theory and understanding how particles "get" their mass/how mass works in particles. The standard model cannot explain certain phenomena most importantly it contradicts general relativity in certain situations such as what happens at the event horizon of a black hole/happened at the big bang. Higgs could help on the grand quest for a unified theory of physics aka a theory of everything that would explain all physical interaction

Obviously.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You'll be waiting quite a while then I think :laugh: Higgs is more important for it's theorhetical ramifications. If you want revolutions look at computing, biotech, nanotechnology. Soooo much stuff going on in meta-materials right now.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
You'll be waiting quite a while then I think :laugh: Higgs is more important for it's theorhetical ramifications. If you want revolutions look at computing, biotech, nanotechnology. Soooo much stuff going on in meta-materials right now.

A discovery of this size is a huge deal. It will eventually happen. It's just a question of time.

I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
There aren't really any real world applications other than a fuller understanding of the way things work, and a sign that we have a lot further to go down the rabbit hole.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
There aren't really any real world applications other than a fuller understanding of the way things work, and a sign that we have a lot further to go down the rabbit hole.

Yeah. Not a physicist, but I think this is a significant, but small step toward a Theory of Everything

Mole

Permabanned
This extraordinary discovery proves that the Standard Model of Particle Physics is not only beautiful, but true.

The poets told us that truth is beauty and beauty is truth, and the physicists have confirmed it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not anytime soon, lol.

Also, I kinda hope that never happens.The first step to manipulating higgs-boson particles is by accelerating them removing the mass from other particles. So matter can be erased. Not a technology I'm eager to wait around for. :tongue:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, I kinda hope that never happens.The first step to manipulating higgs-boson particles is by accelerating them removing the mass from other particles. So matter can be erased. Not a technology I'm eager to wait around for. :tongue:

*sigh* And I so wanted a disintegrating ray gun!

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
It was a 5 sigma event, very high probability. this is a bit different than the neutrino situation. there is a 99.99995 chance the result can be reproduced.

Read some more (in-depth) articles and I take it all back. :D Thanks for pointing that out.

But still, we've got a long way to go before this is something we fully comprehend...and I'm excited for when we have a better idea of what the ramifications are for what we're looking at.