• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Boson found!! Possibly Higgs!

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm just waiting this discovery to translate into different tech on the market.

"Coming soon, the new transdimensional shaver 3000. Have you ever wanted to shave your face......in the past? With the new transee 3000 you can! Shave yourself in the past, the future, or even yourself from somewhere else.

It's as easy as 1-2 BUZZ. CALL NOW!"

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.
The most immediate implications are that ordinary people will sit up and take notice of physics for a little while, and see that it is not all about bringing technology to market.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure what this means except that I should post here and be hoping for kit-kats for everyone.

S

Society

Not anytime soon, lol.

i am sure it felt long if you lived through it, but in retrospect it didn't take that long for the STR and GTR to change world politics and accelerate the information age, did it?

also, could something close to this come out of it?

this discovery screams of Wil McCarthy sci fi ideas to me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was a 5 sigma event, very high probability. this is a bit different than the neutrino situation. there is a 99.99995 chance the result can be reproduced.

Hmm, well, it makes the chances of it being some other particle very very small.

Mole

Permabanned
The Perfect Metaphor

I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.

Perhaps the most important real world implication is that we now have a new metaphor. Yes, the Higgs Boson is the perfect metaphor for life.

All of us want to fly. We want to be as light as, well, light, and fly wherever we want, but we are held down by the Higgs Boson.

We want to be ethereal angels dancing for joy but the Higgs Boson holds us down with mass. Yes, the Higgs Boson holds us down to the Earth. The Higgs Boson makes us earth-bound. It permeates our every being. And makes us a dull heavy mass.

The Higgs Boson is not called the God Particle for nothing, for the Higgs Boson resembles nothing less than original sin, the sin that cuts us off from the angels, the sin that cuts us off from heaven, and the sin that cuts us off from God.

Without the Higgs Boson we would be lighter than a feather, we would be as light and as beautiful a cloud - but instead we are dull clods, weighed down by the mass of the Higgs Boson.