• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Car Thread

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
i'm not sure where you're getting your quotes, but as far as i know, a 400hp super charger will cost more than a 500hp turbo. it's tough to make big figures like that on [what i assume will be] an I6 with only a super charger.
also, in my opinion, super chargers have a big cool factor too :)
in fact, one of my project ideas is to get one of those big 3.6 H6s subaru is putting out now, supercharge it and drop it into a forester.

Supers are certainly cool, but I've heard some terrible super whine on high hp applications. I'd love to have a blower, I just don't want my car to scream like a banshey because I dipped into the throttle. I'm fine with some, and I have heard plenty of supers that sound pleasant, but I've also heard some that would not be fun to listen to lap after lap.

bmw is a definitely a good choice for this. bolt ins are worthless. good plan.

That's why I chose the e36. I wanted to start with the best chassis I could find (at a relatively cheap price point) and then build it up from there.

I'd rather have a great foundation to build from, rather than realizing down the road that I'm gonna need a shop to redo all my suspension geometry just because I didn't choose a good base platform.

I would never try to save money on safety items.

it's good to see that your primary focus is suspension.
my only warning is that you be careful with choosing your spring rate if you're really gonna DD this thing.
the springrates on my subaru were *way* too high for the street. it was alright when driving to and from work, and made for some fun, fast commutes, but when i had to drive any further than that, i was practically bleeding from the asshole by the time i got out.

by the way, i've gone back to my stock dampers but with upgraded springs.
with the fat ass sway bars i have, it hasn't cost me any handling in my driving. the body does still roll a little, but hey, it adds a little thrill to the ride!
very happy with where my car is right now, but coilovers will go back on the car at some time. i'll just make sure they're softer than the tein flex i was using.

overall, even if you go supercharger i still approve. that will be a fun little wagon.

The suspension work will be incremental, and I will probably have to find setups that will work for whatever current balance between track performance and streetability I want.

But those AST 4200's are going to be for when I start to get serious with it.

They would probably boot me out of the Autox class I would want to start in.

Those are the lowest price point monotube (rebuildable/revalveable) shocks I could find.

They would be my first serious set of race suspension, but I would probably get some motons with fluid reservoirs for when I get really serious.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
As for turbo vs super charger...

I'd say if it's a small gasoline engine that you want to boost, use turbo, since it uses exhaust energy that the engine already makes.

If it's a diesel, use a turbo. Diesel can get such high compression that it can power turbo very well, but if you use a supercharger you lose that advantage.

If you have a beefy gasoline engine you can use supercharger and take some of the engines power output to charge it.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
AST is probably what i'll use on my car when i do upgrade the suspension. no idea yet what i'll want.
I would never try to save money on safety items.
and tires. never skimp on tires. you can skimp on anything else and be ok.
but if you got trash rubber or a roll bar that rotates before it bends, you're gonna hurt yourself.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
AST is probably what i'll use on my car when i do upgrade the suspension. no idea yet what i'll want.

and tires. never skimp on tires. you can skimp on anything else and be ok.
but if you got trash rubber or a roll bar that rotates before it bends, you're gonna hurt yourself.

I'm buying good tires first. That will probably be my first big purchase and I'll go with whatever the gold standard is in that autox class.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
As for turbo vs super charger...

I'd say if it's a small gasoline engine that you want to boost, use turbo, since it uses exhaust energy that the engine already makes.

If it's a diesel, use a turbo. Diesel can get such high compression that it can power turbo very well, but if you use a supercharger you lose that advantage.

If you have a beefy gasoline engine you can use supercharger and take some of the engines power output to charge it.

Supers do act in a parasitic fashion on the drive line, but they give you power immediately, which can be advantageous on tighter road courses.

The power is right there with a super, and I've hear maintenance is a little easier with a super (its a less complicated system).

But turbos on the top end are crazy, they have been getting cheaper, and their aftermarket seems bigger.

But there are new super systems coming out all the time, many of which make great hp like this system from JAWS motorsport in Sweden.

It makes 457 to the wheels(or so says the company that makes it).

[YOUTUBE="jP_8NRuneaE"]JAWS E36 M3 3,2 Supercharger Kit Testing [/YOUTUBE]

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

I think one big difference between the two is that with a turbo by itself you can mitigate the low RPM drawbacks with brainchild trickery, resulting in a more complex machine, but to mitigate the drawbacks of a supercharger by itself you pretty much just make stuff bigger/more powerful.

Or you twincharge. :p

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

I think one big difference between the two is that with a turbo by itself you can mitigate the low RPM drawbacks with brainchild trickery, resulting in a more complex machine, but to mitigate the drawbacks of a supercharger by itself you pretty much just make stuff bigger/more powerful.

Or you twincharge. :p

I might have to, that swedish super costs almost 10 large.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Supercharger eats fuel, only big disadvantage for the mildly tuned engines. That said i wish there where more mad supercharger cars around. You see alot of crazy turbo engines but few all out charger builds.

Luckily there is one in Norway that has more than just the numbers. videos to the right.

http://www.pollymotorsport.no/index.php?mapping=33

Before Bugatti came around he was trying to get the fastest street registered car record. He competes in the silver state classic with it too.

Something similar but with a more modern engine would be cool.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPJUmerxd1Y"]RWB[/YOUTUBE]
frick yeah, mothafrickas.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiCqqiG1iY"]lexus IS F[/YOUTUBE]
prettiest exhaust note of them all.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
middle finger to the LFA.
such a whiny tone. i like the deep growl yamaha tuned into little brother.
it's a far better feeling than driving a hyena.

that being said, the high-pitch short-stroke will get you where you need it go, and in a big fucking hurry.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
middle finger to the LFA.
such a whiny tone. i like the deep growl yamaha tuned into little brother.
it's a far better feeling than driving a hyena.

that being said, the high-pitch short-stroke will get you where you need it go, and in a big fucking hurry.

I love that high strung shit.

Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate a throatier rumble like:

[YOUTUBE="iJfJenRJ_Ko"].[/YOUTUBE]

But for me this is engine sound nirvana...

[YOUTUBE="F_kEeRaS3UM"].[/YOUTUBE]

At 0:13 of that video is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
sls amg was my next post!
i wanted to do that one!

i don't normally like a crackling exhaust note... but for some reason, i love it in that car. it's such a refined ride - the dogged, raspy voice is a nice complement to the hard earned suit mercedes tailored for that car.

i was going to say "this is why ride height is sexy" when i wrote about it. everyone is all about slamming their cars - "low center of gravity, man" as thought laying frame, or some other undriveable modification to the car somehow makes it better.

yet mercedes keeps their car a solid 4.5"+ off the ground and it's still a widely feared competitor.

i hate almost all mercedes' appearance, but this car... from the wheels up, that AMG is amazing.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Fatlace_RWB_Porsche_SEMA2011_7.jpg

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i haven't got the illest illness.
i can't even tell you what illest does, besides sell stickers.