• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Car Thread

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Crickets under the hood?

They sound like it some times LOL. Due to the anti-lag. Some say it's the BOV chattering, others say it's air going backwards through the turbines.

Either way it's quite a funny sound. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a fast car or anything, but a lot of powerful turbo setups do exhibit the cricket noises.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Crickets under the hood?
nocapszy said:
"i'm not driving fast, i'm flying low!"
my car is a featherweight compared to that behemoth.

*chirp* *chirp*

Mhmm, you want one. Confess.
there are a few parts i'd like to repurpose in other machines but... overall, i'll tend to pass on this.
if i'm going V8, i'm going SLS AMG.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
my subaru is not equipped with anti-lag, but it does make all kinds of satisfying, bird-like noises.

anti-lag doesn't add any horses. all it does is help you to assemble the stampede quicker.

Yeah it's probably compressor surge. Like the turbine hitting the air that's deflected back from not being able to go into the engine.

Edit: actually I mean impeller. The intake part. I get those two confused because they look a bit similar.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
we in the business usually just say "hot side," meaning exhaust wheel/housing, and "cold side," meaning the compressor wheel/housing.
it's obviously imprecise, since both sides are painfully hot to the touch, but relatively speaking, it references the boolean truth necessitated by exhaust powered aspiration.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
we in the business usually just say "hot side," meaning exhaust wheel/housing, and "cold side," meaning the compressor wheel/housing.
it's obviously imprecise, since both sides are painfully hot to the touch, but relatively speaking, it references the boolean truth necessitated by exhaust powered aspiration.

Yeah, that makes sense. :D

In either case even though it makes a cool sound it generally results from something that you don't actually want to have.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
that is correct. but since turbochargers are cheap... meh.
the problem is that these fools use the most tightly wound blow off valve they can find, so it shuts completely with no relent before you can get yourself down to a nice, cool, comfortable negative manifold pressure, meanwhile the intake valves in the heads aren't open long enough [if at all] to give the turbo some relief. the air is forced out the wrong way through the manifold which creates a stressful situation for the charger, since it's being pressed against in both directions.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
that is correct. but since turbochargers are cheap... meh.
the problem is that these fools use the most tightly wound blow off valve they can find, so it shuts completely with no relent before you can get yourself down to a nice, cool, comfortable negative manifold pressure, meanwhile the intake valves in the heads aren't open long enough [if at all] to give the turbo some relief. the air is forced out the wrong way through the manifold which creates a stressful situation for the charger, since it's being pressed against in both directions.

What really cracks me up are the ones that do simulated BOVs and interfoolers. :D

It's really funny when done for ironic purposes on a car that doesn't even have a turbo just for laughs but some people actually take it seriously. :doh:

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was curious as to what the cheapest brand new car in the U.S. was. The 2012 Nissan Versa doesn't look bad for a $10,990 car. The Hyundai Accent used to have that title but the Nissan Versa does now.

01-2012-nissan-versa-ny-1303318852-1303319224.jpg

I don't want one, but would like to test drive one just to see how well the cheapest brand new car handles and performs.

The manual transmission model with it's 1.6 liter 4 cyl. engine producing 109 horsepower and getting an estimated 27/36 MPG I'd say is pretty good for the price tag. The cheapest base model even comes with standard air conditioning.Nissan must've badly wanted the title of selling the cheapest new car in the U.S. :huh:

A

A window to the soul

They sound like it some times LOL. Due to the anti-lag. Some say it's the BOV chattering, others say it's air going backwards through the turbines.

Either way it's quite a funny sound. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a fast car or anything, but a lot of powerful turbo setups do exhibit the cricket noises.
I did not know that.

my car is a featherweight compared to that behemoth.

*chirp* *chirp*
So you've got it bad? Car luv.

I bet it's all too real when one starts shopping for something new and they're left stranded.

there are a few parts i'd like to repurpose in other machines but... overall, i'll tend to pass on this.
if i'm going V8, i'm going SLS AMG.
Okay, but that's not what I heard.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
cobra is too macho for my style. pardon my bias, but almost every mustang driver i've encountered was a flagrant prick, on and off the road.

i do not wish to join the ranks.
but i wouldn't be opposed to a miata swap, even as tired as those little drift boxes are :D

A

A window to the soul

cobra is too macho for my style. pardon my bias, but almost every mustang driver i've encountered was a flagrant prick, on and off the road.

but i wouldn't be opposed to a miata swap, even as tired as those little drift boxes are :D
I guess it's hard to be humble when your car growls and you can drift it right into a perfect parallel park.
[YOUTUBE="Wc18rb2fb2Q"]Like this little drift box...[/YOUTUBE]

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

I used to LOVE Miatas when I was younger (and still like them a lot!)

They're actually good little cars. It was one of the best selling sports cars in the world for good reason. But I'm more a "what does it actually do in a practical application?" type than "performance that never gets used" type.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have the hardest time giving up a Truck. My favorite was my 2007 Toyota Tundra...380HP Truck that can pull and hold alot. Eventually I will have a Truck and a Sports car, but Trucks always come first. They are more practical for what I enjoy doing.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think I found the suspension I wanna put on the BMW e36 track car I'm gonna build.

AST 4200 monotubes

Now I just need to figure out if I wanna go with a turbo or a supercharger.

Last edited:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
turbo!
turbo!
TURBO!
it's no harder to do, negligibly more expensive [depending on your turbo, it could be cheaper], and offers far *far* greater returns.
stick with a small one and you might not have to upgrade anything in the engine, plus you'll have virtually no lag.

all wins!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess it's hard to be humble when your car growls and you can drift it right into a perfect parallel park.
[YOUTUBE="Wc18rb2fb2Q"]Like this little drift box...[/YOUTUBE]

i bet that kid could take on a prius, no sweat!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
turbo!
turbo!
TURBO!
it's no harder to do, negligibly more expensive [depending on your turbo, it could be cheaper], and offers far *far* greater returns.
stick with a small one and you might not have to upgrade anything in the engine, plus you'll have virtually no lag.

all wins!

I know hp figures are more flexible with a turbo, and turbos have an undeniable cool factor to them (over and above SC's), but there are some reliability (and heat issues), not to mention price concerns.

Basically, I plan on getting a pretty solid suspension set up on the car first (thats adjustable to deal with increasing HP figures, and drops in weight as I gut the car and it becomes more track focused).

During this phase I'll probably be auto crossing the car. I want to do some other HDPE stuff, but the goal is eventually to get to wheel to wheel racing, and depending on money, and other cars I buy maybe time attack eventually.

Initially though, I want to have a streetable autox car that can serve DD functions in a pinch, but still turns on rails. I would like to build up my driving skills during this autox phase, before I get hardcore about gutting the car and upping HP.

Then I want to gut it, and get some racing buckets and a good cage welded (not bolted) in.

I have two HP goals. I initially want a super reliable 400hp road course circuit racer, that can still be driven to the track.

Once funds and other car projects present themselves, I will probably want to go over 500hp to start demolishing the exotic metal that gets taken to track days.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know hp figures are more flexible with a turbo, and turbos have an undeniable cool factor to them (over and above SC's), but there are some reliability (and heat issues), not to mention price concerns.
i'm not sure where you're getting your quotes, but as far as i know, a 400hp super charger will cost more than a 500hp turbo. it's tough to make big figures like that on [what i assume will be] an I6 with only a super charger.
also, in my opinion, super chargers have a big cool factor too :)
in fact, one of my project ideas is to get one of those big 3.6 H6s subaru is putting out now, supercharge it and drop it into a forester.

Initially though, I want to have a streetable autox car that can serve DD functions in a pinch, but still turns on rails.
bmw is a definitely a good choice for this.
I would like to build up my driving skills during this autox phase, before I get hardcore about gutting the car and upping HP.

Then I want to gut it, and get some racing buckets and a good cage welded (not bolted) in.
bolt ins are worthless. good plan.

I have two HP goals. I initially want a super reliable 400hp road course circuit racer, that can still be driven to the track.

Once funds and other car projects present themselves, I will probably want to go over 500hp to start demolishing the exotic metal that gets taken to track days.
it's good to see that your primary focus is suspension.
my only warning is that you be careful with choosing your spring rate if you're really gonna DD this thing.
the springrates on my subaru were *way* too high for the street. it was alright when driving to and from work, and made for some fun, fast commutes, but when i had to drive any further than that, i was practically bleeding from the asshole by the time i got out.

by the way, i've gone back to my stock dampers but with upgraded springs.
with the fat ass sway bars i have, it hasn't cost me any handling in my driving. the body does still roll a little, but hey, it adds a little thrill to the ride!
very happy with where my car is right now, but coilovers will go back on the car at some time. i'll just make sure they're softer than the tein flex i was using.

overall, even if you go supercharger i still approve. that will be a fun little wagon.