• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the Ipad worth buying?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] Do you like the Xoom?

I kind of wanted to get one because it was motorola, but I get the one that I use for free (galaxy tab) so why fork over the extra money? :laugh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] thanks, that helped. Weirdly, I used to know that.:thinking: I still don't know how exactly it works with tablets. Here in Brazil we have two ways to access the 3G internet: a) usb stick and b) SIM card...not sure if it works the same way in us, but does that mean tablets work with SIM cards?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For reading I'd go with the kindle :blush:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] thanks, that helped. Weirdly, I used to know that.:thinking: I still don't know how exactly it works with tablets. Here in Brazil we have two ways to access the 3G internet: a) usb stick and b) SIM card...not sure if it works the same way in us, but does that mean tablets work with SIM cards?

tablets work via sim cards... usb sticks contain sim cards that you can remove from them... see where I was going? :whistling:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's kind of like a huge iphone with no phone. Actually, I like it for taking notes, reading books and quickly hopping on the forum. It's not as good as a laptop but it's fast and easy.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and if you look back a bit I explain how that works and what tablets are easier to manipulate that way as well :laugh:
I thought SIM cards were designed for cellphones and smartphones only. It still sounds weird, I wonder if there is some kind of cellphone number assigned to tablet SIM cards. :shock:
/Ti nitpicking

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought SIM cards were designed for cellphones and smartphones only. It still sounds weird, I wonder if there is some kind of cellphone number assigned to tablet SIM cards. :shock:
/Ti nitpicking

they come with pre-assigned phone numbers which you can find by looking at your phone bill... you can't call them though... they are data-only enabled (unless you root it and install google voice, in which case you can use it as a cell phone through the internet connection... :thinking:)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
they come with pre-assigned phone numbers which you can find by looking at your phone bill... you can't call them though... they are data-only enabled (unless you root it and install google voice, in which case you can use it as a cell phone through the internet connection... :thinking:)
:worthy:
You're really good with this stuff!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should have mentioned - a lot of the reading I will be doing will be on internet pages. Seems ereaders aren't very good for that. Also, during my breaks, I like to listen to music or watch youtube videos. Ereaders aren't very good in this aspect.
So far, it seems the Xoom would be the best one for me. Big screen, powerful, has 3G technology, and is cheaper than Ipad! I will do more research though. :nerd:

:roundthnx:

edit: It looks really good to read using this:
s_MLB_v_F_f_210696890_6985.jpg

An ereader may be more comfortable, but I'm so used to spending lots of time in front of lcd/led screens that I doubt it will matter much. :laugh:

Hyacinth

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the kindle fire is pretty snazzy.

N

NPcomplete

I should have mentioned - a lot of the reading I will be doing will be on internet pages. Seems ereaders aren't very good for that. Also, during my breaks, I like to listen to music or watch youtube videos. Ereaders aren't very good in this aspect.
So far, it seems the Xoom would be the best one for me. Big screen, powerful, has 3G technology, and is cheaper than Ipad! I will do more research though. :nerd:

Oh in that case, yeah a tablet's better.

also, i would be interested in hearing more opinions on which ereader people like best. i am torn between the nook and the kindle. :)

I've only ever played with a Nook for 5 min so I can't compare but I really like my Kindle. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

edit: It looks really good to read using this:
s_MLB_v_F_f_210696890_6985.jpg

An ereader may be more comfortable, but I'm so used to spending lots of time in front of lcd/led screens that I doubt it will matter much. :laugh:

I have a Xoom and I like it, but I'm also an Android/Google guy so the Xoom made sense at the time. I love it for reading, and always set it to Night Mode which inverts the colours so it's extremely easy on the eyes. It's older tech though at this point and you may want to get something a little newer like the Asus Transformer and there's even rumours that Google is releasing their own Nexus Tablet at about 199-250 USD to compete with the Kindle Fire in a couple of months.

If you go Android, I'd warn that the tablet App environment is extremely paltry in comparison to the iPad's app catalogue, even though the best stuff filters down to Android eventually.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I have a Xoom and I like it, but I'm also an Android/Google guy so the Xoom made sense at the time. I love it for reading, and always set it to Night Mode which inverts the colours so it's extremely easy on the eyes. It's older tech though at this point and you may want to get something a little newer like the Asus Transformer and there's even rumours that Google is releasing their own Nexus Tablet at about 199-250 USD to compete with the Kindle Fire in a couple of months.

If you go Android, I'd warn that the tablet App environment is extremely paltry in comparison to the iPad's app catalogue, even though the best stuff filters down to Android eventually.
Definitely something to consider, things are generally directed towards apple products, and then androids, in regards to mobile technology.

Asus has a mini sd slot AND micro HDMI support; and if you end up deciding to get the external dock-keyboard it also has a 2.0 usb and an extra 6 hr battery life that transfers over to the tablet itself if you're low on power. However, it only connects to wifi, no sim slot, if that is something you're looking for. ( I have not tried USB-internet on the prime)

Depending on which Ipad you're considering on getting, the specifications might differ a bit. The Ipad 3, is probably the best thing out right now from the articles I've read, followed by the Asus. Asus is lighter than the Ipad 2, and the 3 is larger, so I assume it is also heavier. Asus is the first tablet with an tegra3 quadcore cpu, while the ipad3 is dual core, wifi+4g.

You can watch AVI (common file type) on the Asus; you'd have to convert on most tablets out there.

You should really use some "comparison" options on electronics-online stores. Here are some specs for the asus, and the ipad 2/3.

If you're looking for something to read, I suggest the Kindle fire. Much cheaper than the lot of those, great for reading, and I believe it now has wifi.

APPLE IPADS
TRANSFORMER PRIME TF201

Personally, I prefer android because it is a lot less constricting.

KDude

I used to experiment more with computers and owned more platforms, but I'm actually looking forward to Windows 8 as far as tablets go. It looks cool so far. If you're not in a rush, I'd wait until the market has all the players in it (and pretty much everyone has their hand in it so far except MS).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just ordered the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500.
Determinant factors:
-Good price
-Android 3.1
-10.1'' gorilla glass screen
-3G/4G
-I can use it as a phone! I really needed to discard my htc kaiser.:horor: Since I only make/receive like 3 calls a week, size won't bother me much.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an iPad 2 but refuse to upgrade as I think the boo-coo "retina display" is insufficient to justify the expense.

I agree the retina display of the 3 isn't worth replacing the 2. I'm writing this on one at a hotel and it's really nice to not have to carry much around.

I have an iPad because I have an iPhone and use iCloud services for my business so haveing an iPad while wandering around is useful...

I like iCloud too..for syncing music from iPhone to iPad ;)

For reading mainly? I would get something smaller.