• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recreating Woolly Mammoths: Good, Bad, or Other?

Do you think recreating woolly mammoths is ...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something just occurred to me. Considering the evolution of the elephant's immune system, how would the more archaic immune system of the woolly mammoth handle today's bacterial and viral cultures?

Just give them the usual vaccines.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vaccines are lower or non-living dosages of the same virus. How do you know the woolly mammoth's immune system can handle it?

Are you suggesting that t-cells from 10,000 or even 50,000 years ago are somehow different from modern ones?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched Pet Semetary... what is dead should stay dead :thelook:

rav3n

Do you know how cloning an extinct species is accomplished? Think Jurassic Park.
Can't say I understand it to the level of immune system impact whereby a movie tells me fuck all, at least as it relates to the immune system. Perhaps you can share your knowledge.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't say I understand it to the level of immune system impact whereby a movie tells me fuck all, at least as it relates to the immune system. Perhaps you can share your knowledge.

A movie won't go into that kind of detail, but it does reveal the general method. In Jurassic Park a lizard or some related animal's dna was used to assist the cloning process. The key to cloning the woolly mammoth is to replace the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant.

Bingo! You now have your modern dna and modern immune system borrowed from an elephant's dna (assuming a modern immune system is even required).

rav3n

A movie won't go into that kind of detail, but it does reveal the general method. In Jurassic Park a lizard or some related animal's dna was used to assist the cloning process. The key to cloning the woolly mammoth is to replace the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant.

Bingo! You now have your modern dna and modern immune system borrowed from an elephant's dna (assuming a modern immune system is even required).
Okay, this sounds like a possibility although heritability of immune system isn't guaranteed.

So technically, if they did recreate a woolly mammoth, it would in effect be a cross-breed.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, this sounds like a possibility although heritability of immune system isn't guaranteed.

Yes, no guarantees.
But, immunity would be closest to that of the elephant mother that carried the baby mammoth to term.
Alot of immunity is opassed from mother to child via breast milk, and not just in utero.

So technically, if they did recreate a woolly mammoth, it would in effect be a cross-breed.

YES.

Much like the "Florida Panther" after it was kept alive in nature via introduction of Western Mountain Lions.

There are no more "Florida Panthers."
There will not likely ever be a "pure" mammoth.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Pretty much yeah. It doesn't appear so far that there's a way to recreate the woolly mammoth 100% authentically.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In Jurassic Park biologists had to reconstruct the missing strands of dinosaur dna using lizard dna. If in reality they have 100% mammoth dna then 100% of the elephant's dna will be replaced.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
In Jurassic Park biologists had to reconstruct the missing strands of dinosaur dna using lizard dna. If in reality they have 100% mammoth dna then 100% of the elephant's dna will be replaced.
They used frog DNA in that movie.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They used frog DNA in that movie.

I was thinking that was the case but it didn't make sense. (I've never seen it anyway because the movie looks so -- dumb.)

Why use a frog's dna?