• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teach Me: Computers/Things Related Edition

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Information on electronics welcome. I know way too little about computers and related things.

The initial reason for posting this is: I want to first be taught about Linux. I don't really know where to begin with questions, so whatever mini-lessons I can be given are much appreciated.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For Linux, I recommend doing an Archlinux install. That's a good start. They have very good doc, and going through the motions will give you a glimpse into how Linux works. Don't be afraid of the command line.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For Linux, I recommend doing an Archlinux install. That's a good start. They have very good doc, and going through the motions will give you a glimpse into how Linux works. Don't be afraid of the command line.

Archlinux? I do already have Linux installed. I haven't died yet. Though the way my INTJ friend put it, it sounded like one wrong step and I might as well fall off a cliff.

Edit: I have Ubuntu. I like the African noises it makes when I start up my netbook.

Fyi- I have a netbook.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Archlinux? I do already have Linux installed. I haven't died yet. Though the way my INTJ friend put it, it sounded like one wrong step and I might as well fall off a cliff.

A Linux install with compatible hardware and a good distro is very reliable. It's when something doesn't work out is when the cliff falling happens. Most Linux installs make it very easy for the end user, they give you everything you need to get going in one shot; You are pretty well insolated from the guts. Doing an Archlinux is a kind of ground up process. You start from the commandline and install what you need and configure it by hand. It's a good way to learn.

If you want to work with what you got, well, I'll have to come up with different advice. I've pretty much learned everything I know by attempting something and failing and getting myself out of the mess.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A Linux install with compatible hardware and a good distro is very reliable. It's when something doesn't work out is when the cliff falling happens. Most Linux installs make it very easy for the end user, they give you everything you need to get going in one shot; You are pretty well insolated from the guts. Doing an Archlinux is a kind of ground up process. You start from the commandline and install what you need and configure it by hand. It's a good way to learn.

If you want to work with what you got, well, I'll have to come up with different advice. I've pretty much learned everything I know by attempting something and failing and getting myself out of the mess.

I know a lot of people who are extremely adept with computers and related things learn that way. I just would rather not make my computer unusable in the process, being it is my lifeline for my online classes at school.

Doing the Archlinux set up sounds fun though. How do you know what you need? Do you use it?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a lot of people who are extremely adept with computers and related things learn that way. I just would rather not make my computer unusable in the process, being it is my lifeline for my online classes at school.

Doing the Archlinux set up sounds fun though. How do you know what you need? Do you use it?

Yeah, I've got a netbook running Arch right now. It's my download and media server, I have it setup so I can get torrents started on it from my phone or any other internet location. As far as what you need, it completely depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Well, definitely be careful with your school computer. I've also learned the value of things that just work. Depending on how nerdy you want to get, you can get a cheap second system to play with. Linux can install on some very low spec (cheap) hardware.

Got any idea of what kinds of techno wizardry you want to accomplish?

Oh, here's something that came to mind. Get a book, or follow an online tutorial on shell scripting and learn that. That always comes in handy, and you'll get an introduction to the command line simultaneously.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I've got a netbook running Arch right now. It's my download and media server, I have it setup so I can get torrents started on it from my phone or any other internet location. As far as what you need, it completely depends on what you are trying to do with it.

I presume you have a smartphone? Since I don't really know what Archlinux can do, it is hard for me to determine what I want.

Well, definitely be careful with your school computer. I've also learned the value of things that just work. Depending on how nerdy you want to get, you can get a cheap second system to play with. Linux can install on some very low spec (cheap) hardware.

Maybe when I have money ;) Everything I am using is open source. Oh, it was advised that I don't really need antivirus software because Linux is attacked infrequently. Would you agree?

Got any idea of what kinds of techno wizardry you want to accomplish?

Whatever is the most fun, which is subjective. Useful is always great of course.

Oh, here's something that came to mind. Get a book, or follow an online tutorial on shell scripting and learn that. That always comes in handy, and you'll get an introduction to the command line simultaneously.

Shell scripting? I have much to learn. I'm going to research now.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have ubuntu on both my desktop and my netbook. The netbook version is great - very streamlined and efficient use of space. I am no linux expert either, and have been working backwards a bit to learn. I can do most things I need using the graphical interface, then pick one every so often and explore how to do it using the command line and related files. That way, nothing ever gets truly messed up. There is lots of good linux info on the web - go surf. Whenever I have a problem, I just type the gist of it into Google, and get plenty of references that allow me to solve it fairly quickly, and learn in the process.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I presume you have a smartphone? Since I don't really know what Archlinux can do, it is hard for me to determine what I want.

Yup, and it runs Linux also (Android). I don't mess with it much because it's one of the things that just has to work.

Maybe when I have money ;) Everything I am using is open source. Oh, it was advised that I don't really need antivirus software because Linux is attacked infrequently. Would you agree?

Yeah, there really isn't any need for antivirus.

Whatever is the most fun, which is subjective. Useful is always great of course.

Shell scripting? I have much to learn. I'm going to research now.

:solidarity:

I have ubuntu on both my desktop and my netbook. The netbook version is great - very streamlined and efficient use of space. I am no linux expert either, and have been working backwards a bit to learn. I can do most things I need using the graphical interface, then pick one every so often and explore how to do it using the command line and related files. That way, nothing ever gets truly messed up. There is lots of good linux info on the web - go surf. Whenever I have a problem, I just type the gist of it into Google, and get plenty of references that allow me to solve it fairly quickly, and learn in the process.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I might even update new things I learn on here.

Time to research. But first, I must plan a visit with Harvard, BU and BC. Otherwise I will keep forgetting/putting off.

KDude

I'd recommend Slackware Linux.

Because of the name...

Actually, it's just because it's one of the older distros, and urges you to get more acquainted with using unix commands (from the console). Gentoo Linux or BSD is another good way to learn. With Gentoo, you'll be compiling a system from scratch - but you'll get acquainted with a lot commands and unix processes this way.

There's nothing particularly unique to learn about Linux if you go the Ubuntu (or similar) route. It's trying to be more GUI centric, and while it has a command line, the system itself doesn't encourage users into that kind of experience. You might as well use Macs or Windows then.

That's just me. I think it's best to learn with something basic, and maybe even with a complicated process to even set up.. something that makes you go "WTF?" and pushes you to find the problem to even get anything to work.

That is, if you want to really learn. Even I don't want to bother with learning more computer stuff these days. I just need to run apps.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd recommend Slackware Linux.

Because of the name...

Actually, it's just because it's one of the older distros, and urges you to get more acquainted with using unix commands (from the console). Gentoo Linux or BSD is another good way to learn. With Gentoo, you'll be compiling a system from scratch - but you'll get acquainted with a lot commands and unix processes this way.

There's nothing particularly unique to learn about Linux if you go the Ubuntu (or similar) route. It's trying to be more GUI centric, and while it has a command line, the system itself doesn't encourage users into that kind of experience. You might as well use Macs or Windows then.

That's just me. I think it's best to learn with something basic, and maybe even with a complicated process to even set up.. something that makes you go "WTF?" and pushes you to find the problem to even get anything to work.

That is, if you want to really learn. Even I don't want to bother with learning more computer stuff these days. I just need to run apps.

FYI, Arch is pretty close to being like a binary package version of Gentoo. I do like Gentoo. And Slack, well, yeah, that'll work too. That was my first distro.

KDude

FYI, Arch is pretty close to being like a binary package version of Gentoo. I do like Gentoo. And Slack, well, yeah, that'll work too. That was my first distro.

Yeah, that was the first one I used too. Way back in umm... 1995? Linux was barely out at that point.

I kind of hate myself for not taking more advantage of it. Linux became hugely popular as we know, and I was kind of an early adopter. I'd have some mad hacking skills by now if I had been serious about it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, that was the first one I used too. Way back in umm... 1995? Linux was barely out at that point.

I kind of hate myself for not taking more advantage of it. Linux became hugely popular as we know, and I was kind of an early adopter. I'd have some mad hacking skills by now if I had been serious about it.

Yeah, wow, that was way ground floor. I think I did my first install in 1998. Well, anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into old codger talk. Well, dont' feel bad, I missed a lot of opportunities too.. or feel bad for both of us. Whatever.