• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity online - Facebook and G+ do it wrong (see video)

Usehername

On a mission
[YOUTUBE="e3Zs74IH0mc"]Christopher Poole[/YOUTUBE]

A very insightful and well-spoken 8 min talk by 4Chan founder Christopher Poole.

Thoughts?

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
Very interesting in the least, but seems like an ad rant to me....
facebook and google are doing it wrong, twitter is better!! -sigh-
He has this ideal that everyone uses facebook for the same reasons. I don't use facebook for myself--pfft fuck that--I use it simply because it's much more intricate than just emailing all of my friends. Emails are dull xD.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Very interesting talk - I relate to quite a bit of that; I discuss a lot of stuff here I'd feel a bit ashamed discussing with, say, university colleagues.

There's also the important issue of work/life separation. Not long ago, two people from a local news agency were fired because they were talking on Twitter - under their real names - about how obituaries were written in advance, before people died; they were chatting amongst themselves about stuff that's old hat in news agencies, but they were also speaking as professionals - because they couldn't separate their identities like they would do IRL. That's just one of many ways you could be judged as an employee due to what you do in your free time.

Also, obligatory relevant xkcd strip:

dreams.png

(I'm not really as outwardly passionate as Randall here, but I think he has a strong point.)

I use it simply because it's much more intricate than just emailing all of my friends. Emails are dull xD.

Funny thing - I prefer using e-mail because I prefer talking to people one-on-one without being too much in the spotlight. :peepwall:

Lark

A minute and a half in and I'm wondering if it could be any more boring and anymore like a rant about rivals success.

You know what? When it comes to identity people are just themselves, they only have one self, anyone wanting to invent or reinvent or assume multiple identities is a complete and utter asshat usually, I never seen any, for instance, create multiple accounts on here for any purpose other than being and ass or trying to circumvent the rules and that's exactly why its prohibited.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
err what..? I don't see what you mean by being in the spotlight. I just use facebook as a messenger/email. I don't go on there to write a autobiography of my life or some bullshit like that xD.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
err what..? I don't see what you mean by being in the spotlight. I just use facebook as a messenger/email. I don't go on there to write a autobiography of my life or some bullshit like that xD.

I meant I prefer to share stuff I like with particular individuals that might be interested in it... Stuff like that.