• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neutrinos measured traveling faster than light!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And then what is that something made of?

other particles for infinity>God

When sunlight warms your face....is it magic?

Yes. And I worship Ra regularly with my naked body lying prostrate before Him.

Isn't heat from sunlight due to light? In the absence of light, there is still energy. Always energy everywhere. Perhaps you must be an nf to feel it. ;)

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP

Isn't heat from sunlight due to light? In the absence of light, there is still energy. Always energy everywhere. Perhaps you must be an nf to feel it. ;)
:fpalm:

What is the sound of one hand Slapping???

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
other particles for infinity>God

"About 65 billion (6.5×10^10) solar neutrinos per second pass through every square centimeter perpendicular to the direction of the Sun in the region of the Earth." Source:Wikipedia.

That "every square centimeter" will of course include your body. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"About 65 billion (6.5×1010) solar neutrinos per second pass through every square centimeter perpendicular to the direction of the Sun in the region of the Earth." Source:Wikipedia.

That "every square centimeter" will of course include your body. :)

k. I think the smallest pieces of substance are thought-sized. They might not warm a body, but they can warm a mind.

Are you istp or an istj? You must be quite introverted to have both dom/aux functions as such.

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
hmm. i can actually imagine something....do you want me to describe it?

*sigh*
Ok, might as well I 'spose.
But only if you can top the derailing effects of a Feeler chick talking about naked sunbathing spirituality in a science thread.
...can you frame it in the form of an equation?
:)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*sigh*
Ok, might as well I 'spose.
But only if you can top the derailing effects of a Feeler chick talking about naked sunbathing spirituality in a science thread.
...can you frame it in the form of an equation?
:)

I felt like what I said was completely pertinent to the thread. And insightful as well.

Science begins with imagination. Sometimes 'scientists' forget that and begin to think they are mini Gods. eh?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
k. I think the smallest pieces of substance are thought-sized. They might not warm a body, but they can warm a mind.

Are you istp or an istj? You must be quite introverted to have both dom/aux functions as such.

The size of a thought...

I score 100% introverted on tests. I type myself as INTP with tertiary Si. The Si is more active at work, less active when I'm on vacation.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The size of a thought...

I score 100% introverted on tests. I type myself as INTP with tertiary Si. The Si is more active at work, less active when I'm on vacation.

oh ok. so Ti/Ne/Si. Gotcha.

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/biology_evolution/article6879293.ece

Explosions, scientists arrested for alleged terrorism, mysterious breakdowns — recently Cern’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has begun to look like the world’s most ill-fated experiment.

Is it really nothing more than bad luck or is there something weirder at work? Such speculation generally belongs to the lunatic fringe, but serious scientists have begun to suggest that the frequency of Cern’s accidents and problems is far more than a coincidence.

The LHC, they suggest, may be sabotaging itself from the future — twisting time to generate a series of scientific setbacks that will prevent the machine fulfilling its destiny.

At first sight, this theory fits comfortably into the crackpot tradition linking the start-up of the LHC with terrible disasters. The best known is that the £3 billion particle accelerator might trigger a black hole capable of swallowing the Earth when it gets going. Scientists enjoy laughing at this one.

This time, however, their ridicule has been rather muted — because the time travel idea has come from two distinguished physicists who have backed it with rigorous mathematics.

What Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, are suggesting is that the Higgs boson, the particle that physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be “abhorrent to nature”.

What does that mean? According to Nielsen, it means that the creation of the boson at some point in the future would then ripple backwards through time to put a stop to whatever it was that had created it in the first place.

This, says Nielsen, could explain why the LHC has been hit by mishaps ranging from an explosion during construction to a second big bang that followed its start-up. Whether the recent arrest of a leading physicist for alleged links with Al-Qaeda also counts is uncertain.

Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Suppose this is a neutrino.

O

And they measure it like this.

|O------------------------->O|

(they send it and then measure it when it hits)

Is it possible the 60 nanoseconds is the time it falls short of traveling the complete distance?

I mean, they should measure like this.

|O-------------------------------->|O

I too am skeptical, I'm not writing Einstein off just yet.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't even know how they distinguish those neutrinos from others.

Mole

Permabanned
It is an extraordinary result. And if it can be confirmed by experiment, it will challenge our understanding of time and space.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is an extraordinary result. And if it can be confirmed by experiment, it will challenge our understanding of time and space.

A. What confirmation by experiment are you looking for? Another experiment?

B. The idea of quantum entanglement already challenges our notions of time and space and has done so for the last 80 years or so.

Pinker85

We finally are beginning to understand the great mysteries that have plagued man for so long . . . like how to travel back in time and use the last of the milk for your Lucky Goo cereal before your roommate is ultrasonically disintegrated by your evil genius dog's super-duper kill ray sun glasses thereby spreading particulate disgusting-ness all over the kitchen counter and into the milk jar.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
"We don't allow faster-than-light neutrinos in here" Says the barman. A neutrino walks into a bar.

Neutrino.
Who's there?
Knock knock.

For the first time i found out some thing important before my kid. I brought the New Scientist magazine last week just for information purposes on this subject and was doing fine until i read
The trick is to send neutrinos on a shortcut through a forth, thus-far-unobserved dimension of space, reducing the distance they have to travel. Then the neutrinos wouldn't have to outstrip light to reach their destination in the observed time. In such a universe, the particles and forces we are familiar with are anchored to a four-dimension membrane, or "brane", with three dimensions of space and one of time. Crucially, the bane floats in a higher dimensional space-time called the bulk, which we are normally completely oblivious to.

:unsure: .. Interesting if i knew what it actually meant.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, very fuzzy about whether it actually occurred.

But I think it will be broken someday. They were convinced the speed of sound couldn't be broken.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This finding is just another "Higgs boson." I think I'll coin a term. It's kind of like a Macguffin. Some scientists report that they made a discovery which will shake our intellectual foundations, or give final support to them, which eventually turns out to be a false finding.