• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now this kind of stuff rocks:

http://news.yahoo.com/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-175427367.html

Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

...Their target was a monomeric protease enzyme, a cutting agent in the complex molecular tailoring of retroviruses, a family that includes HIV.

Figuring out the structure of proteins is vital for understanding the causes of many diseases and developing drugs to block them.

But a microscope gives only a flat image of what to the outsider looks like a plate of one-dimensional scrunched-up spaghetti. Pharmacologists, though, need a 3-D picture that "unfolds" the molecule and rotates it in order to reveal potential targets for drugs.

This is where Foldit comes in.

Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, it is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids -- the building blocks of proteins -- using a set of online tools.

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks...

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I saw this, too! SO COOL! Human intuition triumphs where computers fail! Who says video games rot the brain???

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
yeah. I knew playing video games would evolved to job skills/saving the world

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, nice nice. 'Twould be fantastic if they start implementing more gaming into the science researching process in the future.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw this, too! SO COOL! Human intuition triumphs where computers fail! Who says video games rot the brain???

The gamers' brains did rot, but it was a worthy sacrifice.

rav3n

Amazing and fantastic!

Nice to see that some of my son's time is well spent, not that he was one of the gamers that reproduced the model! :laugh:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Here is a gameplay intro on Youtube:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYJyur4FUA"]Foldit[/YOUTUBE]

I think it requires a certain type of gamer...

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
That actually looks like something that would be a welcome distraction from work, but not a "game" for me. A few minutes here and there would be fine, but I couldn't imagine sitting down for any length of time trying to get a high score.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I fucking loved fold.it. Haven't touched it in months, but I think it was someone on TypoC that introduced me to it. Hours and hours spent folding those little proteins.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is crazy. :shock: Have you ever seen this TED talk about the potential of gamers to solve the world's problems. She talks about just this sort of thing:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1DuBesGYM&feature=channel_video_title"]Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world[/YOUTUBE]