• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quantum minds: why humans are illogical?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
For a very entertaining and informative point of view on this subject read Anathem by Neal Stephenson, he takes the idea and runs with it and ends up in a very odd, but thought provoking place.

When I read this article last week or so, this is also what I thought of. I meant to go back to the book and refresh my memory but never got around to it.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
For a very entertaining and informative point of view on this subject read Anathem by Neal Stephenson, he takes the idea and runs with it and ends up in a very odd, but thought provoking place.

Does one of you want to summarise Neal's hypothesis?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does one of you want to summarise Neal's hypothesis?

*Spoiler?*

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Ah, I didn't realise you were talking about a sci-fi book.
The idea that we percieve other quantum universes simultatneously is a bizarre one when you consider that for each 'particle', there is an infinite number of eigenstates and therefore for the sum total of particles in the universe, that is an impossibly large number of possibilities!

Mole

Permabanned
Quantum Mechanics and the New Age

Quantum Mechanics is our most accurate scientific law. Quantum Mechanics is accurate to ten decimal places and this is being extended every day. So Quantum Mechanics has immense scientific prestige.

And it is this prestige that the New Age seeks to purloin by giving their nostrums a Quantum Mechanical glow.

But Quantum Mechanics and the New Age have the same relationship as astonomy and astrology.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, I didn't realise you were talking about a sci-fi book.
The idea that we percieve other quantum universes simultatneously is a bizarre one when you consider that for each 'particle', there is an infinite number of eigenstates and therefore for the sum total of particles in the universe, that is an impossibly large number of possibilities!

It's only a problem if you figure that the information processing is all done classically.. and in the book, at least as I gathered, the universes would be limited to the ones in which roughly the same 'brain' existed, and I imagine the information would be limited to things that would be significantly and crudely different between each POV.

Anyway, Neil also wrote a book based on the premise that consciousness is the adaptation of a cosmically transmitted information virus by mind hackers in ancient Mesopotamia. And he laid it out in an almost believable fashion with lots of Sumerian myth and history. :D He's not pushing that as a hypothesis, just idea play.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
It's only a problem if you figure that the information processing is all done classically..

Indeed. :)

Anyway, Neil also wrote a book based on the premise that consciousness is the adaptation of a cosmically transmitted information virus by mind hackers in ancient Mesopotamia. And he laid it out in an almost believable fashion with lots of Sumerian myth and history. :D He's not pushing that as a hypothesis, just idea play.

Which one would you recommend I read?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indeed. :)

Which one would you recommend I read?

I'd read "Snow Crash" or "Diamond Age" first.. Anathem is worthy, but only if you like the writer's style as it is a large book.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Quantum Mechanics is our most accurate scientific law. Quantum Mechanics is accurate to ten decimal places and this is being extended every day. So Quantum Mechanics has immense scientific prestige.

And it is this prestige that the New Age seeks to purloin by giving their nostrums a Quantum Mechanical glow.

But Quantum Mechanics and the New Age have the same relationship as astonomy and astrology.

Thats not fully true. Our most accurate way to measure is still an apple falling of a tree

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Thats not fully true. Our most accurate way to measure is still an apple falling off a tree

You can always spot the engineer, by their love of Newton!
Accuracy is a slippery term when you are comparing different dimensions.
Our quantum field theories are still the most well tested of our theories of physics. Yet we still know the theory is incomplete.

Anyway, I wonder if [MENTION=825]ygolo[/MENTION] or someone else wishes to explain the vector space approach to modelling human thought in a little more detail.