• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shopping for new laptop/computer

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My current lap top screen has gone pooh pooh, and I never really liked it anyway, although, it was better than the one before. In other words, I want to ditch it. Bearing in mind, I essentially know nothing about computers except how to turn them on, and surf the web (for intents and purposes here.) What is recommended currently? I'm deeply considering a Mac book pro, as I've never heard a bad thing about them, but am some what reluctant to part with PC.

Mac haters, I don't want unintelligent one liners and poorly constructed arguments, reasonable arguments please, and recommendations.

I will be mainly using said computer for my uni course work, bad poetry, and novel writing that will never see the light of day. Also music downloading, and videos, the interwebz etc. etc.....although I was looking into experimenting with graphic fine arts and animation (although that may be a passing fancy).

What I really want is some thing fuss free, and long lasting hard ware. I'm considering shelling out decent money, I want the thing to last me a few years. I have gone through 4 laptops in 3 years (to be fair, one was second hand).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's your range of "decent money?"
You can easily spend anywhere from $250-$1200 on a laptop, which is why I am asking.

(I actually bought my first official laptop ever (can you believe that?) a month ago -- an HP Pavilion that ran me about $425. I was actually considering a Toshiba in the same range, since processing power was supposed to be faster, but when I went to test them out at Best Buy, I hated the built-in mousepad/response from the Toshiba. Funny that something seemingly so small and unimportant has such a big impact on look-and-feel, but that's what happened. Meanwhile I really liked the HP response.

I also downsized in terms of screen size, which is against grain for me, and decided to go portable with a 14". It runs pretty fine; it just can't handle high-end graphics games. My usage will be for portable writing, since I'm going overseas for a bit and wanted something I could take with me; and it should do fine with videos and movies.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Toshiba satelites are the only laptops I've ever owned. While the first was amazing--it played diablo 2 pretty well (which was all I needed graphics wise at the time), and did everything I'd need it to do.. and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, they haven't progressed too much since then. My father ended up buying me another one for my birthday, and I think I'm going to have to sell it since it won't do the games I need it to do.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, if I'm willing to shell out for a Mac, up to $1500ish, but if I can get a decent PC laptop for cheaper, that would be preferable. I mean a top of the range laptop would be wasted on me, seeing as I don't game so much.

Jennifer, I'm glad you didn't get a Toshiba...the one I'm replacing is a satellite L500. It was decent enough, but they don't seem to last particularly long. I was hoping to get at least another six months out of it before I had to start replacing parts. It mostly stays on my desk, or near my bed, so it wasn't like It was going through hard wear and tear.
I still have an old Acer that still works even though it's 7 years old and the screen is cracked, and that's seen some pretty rough usage. I mean I dropped it and even accidentally stood on it. Maybe my standards are high, but one year and half, seems a short life for a laptop that doesn't get moved around a lot. Plus I have had friends who have also had a lot of wear and tear issues with their Toshibas. They don't seem to last beyond two years. I have had other issues as well, that seem to be snow balling as well...I'd be a lot happier with some thing I had to fuss round with less. I can honestly say that I've never had so many problems with any computer/laptop that wasn't Windows related.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Toshiba satelites are the only laptops I've ever owned. While the first was amazing--it played diablo 2 pretty well (which was all I needed graphics wise at the time), and did everything I'd need it to do.. and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, they haven't progressed too much since then. My father ended up buying me another one for my birthday, and I think I'm going to have to sell it since it won't do the games I need it to do.
Hmmmm, maybe I got a dud.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Toshiba laptops have never done well for me either unfortunately.

I have Mac & PC machines. For what you want to do, get a Mac. You'll love it. I run Parallels on my Mac for any PC stuff I want to use and install too. Works great.

This computer linked below will do everything you want it to do, and admirably. The link I am sending is a current refurbished machine - Apple refurbys have excellent warranties and are clean as a whistle. This one is a little over your stated budget but has a 17" screen so no squinting if you do graphic work or watch movies.

MacBook Pro at Apple

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacBook Pro:

13-inch: 2.7 GHz

2.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

$1,499.00

Comparable Lenovo Thinkpad (has a 14" screen, which is an upgrade to the Macbook):

Core i7 2620M / 2.7 GHz - RAM 4 GB - HDD 500 GB - DVD-Writer - HD Graphics 3000 - 3G Upgradable - Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 - TPM - fingerprint reader - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - 14" Widescreen LED backlight TFT 1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) - camera - TopSeller

MFG #: 4178AFU | CDW #: 2360444

$1,251.99

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/laptops/ I recommend the Thinkpad. These laptops are built-to-last, and are a much better value than the Macs. You can even pour a cup of coffee on the keyboard, and they keep on running. :D Less image-oriented, better engineering and overall quality, and more bang-for-the-buck. Imho, Macs are massively overpriced.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i dunno about non-mac stuff. and i'm a super, super low
involvement computer user, everything i use is straight out the box.
and i hate fighting with computers/printers/stuff that i don't understand.

i'm on a macbook pro and a macbook air that i use for travel.
i like being on a laptop more than a desktop (i have an imac
that i rarely use too)

stuff i do on my mac are:
1. play on the internet
2. do work: so that's just word documents, spreadsheets,
and presentation files (i use the mac version: pages, numbers, keynote)
3. store my fotos
4. recently, i've become addicted to the mac app store,
and i just download a bunch of stuff and play with them.

i don't play like... fancy games.
i play angry birds and airport mania.

i can't really get into the specs and techs,
because i don't know anything about that stuff.

but i've been on a mac for over a decade now,
because it works when i need it to work
(oppose to fighting with my work issued
computers in the past).

and i just really really love playing with the new tiger os. swipe swipe swipe!
so fancy schmancy! i LOVE the gestures features. i'll even capitalise.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i dunno about non-mac stuff. and i'm a super, super low
involvement computer user, everything i use is straight out the box.
and i hate fighting with computers/printers/stuff that i don't understand.

i'm on a macbook pro and a macbook air that i use for travel.
i like being on a laptop more than a desktop (i have an imac
that i rarely use too)

stuff i do on my mac are:
1. play on the internet
2. do work: so that's just word documents, spreadsheets,
and presentation files (i use the mac version: pages, numbers, keynote)
3. store my fotos
4. recently, i've become addicted to the mac app store,
and i just download a bunch of stuff and play with them.

i don't play like... fancy games.
i play angry birds and airport mania.

i can't really get into the specs and techs,
because i don't know anything about that stuff.

but i've been on a mac for over a decade now,
because it works when i need it to work
(oppose to fighting with my work issued
computers in the past).

and i just really really love playing with the new tiger os. swipe swipe swipe!
so fancy schmancy! i LOVE the gestures features. i'll even capitalise.

It makes sense. You are an Apple customer. Tech-savvy folks generally won't touch an Apple product.

I can't believe you are still using one with 10 years of experience. It's a piece of shit with a spit-shine. :D

People never fail to amaze me. :) Don't you consider that if you don't understand the specs, you are getting had? I can't buy anything without understanding the specs, because I want the best value I can get. A more powerful pc will grant faster performance, and everyone generally wants that. I also want it to be well-made and of good quality, so it will cost less in repairs, cause me less heartache down the road, and last longer.

There are out-of-the-box windows laptops that are almost as easy as using a mac. Windows is not as easy to use, however, and yes, you will have to use a few braincells to learn it. I suppose that's asking too much, that some people would rather pay out thousands of dollars to buy "slightly easier to use", when honestly, that's a Mac's only desirable quality (which generally isn't needed or desirable for anyone who took the opportunity to learn windows). Everything else can be granted with a windows pc, and much, much more.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It makes sense. You are an Apple customer. Tech-savvy folks generally won't touch an Apple product.

I can't believe you are still using one with 10 years of experience. It's a piece of shit with a spit-shine. :D

People never fail to amaze me. :) Don't you consider that if you don't understand the specs, you are getting had? I can't buy anything without understanding the specs, because I want the best value I can get.

I have both and quite frankly, enjoy both. Have you owned a Mac? Or are you slamming them like I have heard a hundred other PC'ers do? For a while, I was a PC snob, mostly because of your value argument above and because some Apple folks can tend to present as Apple snobs, like they've bought something that makes them better than the "average" person. And that annoyed me. I used a Mac back in 1998 for a year and grew to enjoy them, but for 10 years after that, didn't own one of my own until I bought my MacBook Pro 2 years ago.

As a computer programmer, which I believe that makes me more "tech-savvy" than the average person, I can honestly say that my PC and my Mac fill specific niches that the other fails to fill. I tend to do most of my work and coding on the PC. Primarily because I like being at a desk for that, with papers and what-not strewn about, and since I purchased all my software originally for PC, I keep upgrading it to that platform. I have a Dell XPS that's a couple of years old now, but specced out very, very nicely.

The MacBook Pro however is the machine I do my writing on and most of my pleasure-computing. To say it is a finely crafted tool would be accurate. Everything about it is geared to be pleasing to the eye and hand. The monitor is more gorgeous on the laptop than my other comp, and it's got a lovely screen as it is. The Mac display shows no pixelation or lack of ability to keep up with the data rate when playing any DVD, and the colors are sublime, not harsh. The sound is superior than any other laptop I have owned. No tinny little speakers in this machine. Watching a movie is on it is enjoyable. Granted I have a 17" monitor, because I don't want to squint at any small screen anymore. It has crashed .. once? My PC regularly needs attention to keep crap spyware and malware from affecting it.

Specs are one thing. Pleasure is another. From what I have heard CV say she wants out of the machine, I would recommend the Mac. It will bring her more than sufficient power and a lot of happiness while she is using it.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have both and quite frankly, enjoy both. Have you owned a Mac? Or are you slamming them like I have heard a hundred other PC'ers do? For a while, I was a PC snob, mostly because of your value argument above and because some Apple folks can tend to present as Apple snobs, like they've bought something that makes them better than the "average" person. And that annoyed me. I used a Mac back in 1998 for a year and grew to enjoy them, but for 10 years after that, didn't own one of my own until I bought my MacBook Pro 2 years ago.

As a computer programmer, which I believe that makes me more "tech-savvy" than the average person, I can honestly say that my PC and my Mac fill specific niches that the other fails to fill. I tend to do most of my work and coding on the PC. Primarily because I like being at a desk for that, with papers and what-not strewn about, and since I purchased all my software originally for PC, I keep upgrading it to that platform. I have a Dell XPS that's a couple of years old now, but specced out very, very nicely.

The MacBook Pro however is the machine I do my writing on and most of my pleasure-computing. To say it is a finely crafted tool would be accurate. Everything about it is geared to be pleasing to the eye and hand. The monitor is more gorgeous on the laptop than my other comp, and it's got a lovely screen as it is. The Mac display shows no pixelation or lack of ability to keep up with the data rate when playing any DVD, and the colors are sublime, not harsh. The sound is superior than any other laptop I have owned. No tinny little speakers in this machine. Watching a movie is on it is enjoyable. Granted I have a 17" monitor, because I don't want to squint at any small screen anymore.

I repair pc's for a living, so yea, I've come in contact a bit with Macs (I'm new at it, but I now own my own company, and my S.O. has been doing it for 20 years). :D I don't really need to hate Apple, and don't. I just tell it like it is. That's reality. These things are made of plastic, cheap parts, just like most other pc's/laptops, save a few. They're just gimped a bit more than most other brands, and more expensive.

"Finely crafted" has to be the funniest fucking thing I've ever heard. :D I consider a custom-built pc to be finely-crafted. Well-engineered? IBM, Lenovo. Arguably the best you can buy when it comes to heavy-duty, built-to-last, well-constructed parts. Companies gimp the parts put in laptops. They figure out ways to cut corners by trimming-down and cheapening the parts, thereby maximizing profits.

Concerning the arguments with the screen display, well, I think watching a movie on a 14" display vs. a 13" is superior. When I have a certain amount of money to spend, I want the best bang for the buck, and I can get more by putting my money elsewhere. I can get a more powerful computer, with the same onboard graphics specs, that will play movies and anything else I want to do, same as, for less. Your argument there holds no water. As far as the speakers, MacBook Pros claim to have "stereo speakers with subwoofers". Apple doesn't even bother to tell you what kind. :D Lenovo provides "premium JBL stereo speakers". Lenovo also provides "One Key Theater", where you can switch from "normal to movie" mode for enhanced video and audio playback, and Dolby Home Theater, and MORE (for less money, of course). :) http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=653343E0DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A

I think the pleasure you speak of, is all in your head. :D There is no evidence of the graphics or sound being better on a Mac. Lenovo actually describes the technologies they are using, and they are superior. Macs are gimped in every sense of the word, if you want to compare part-to-part, piece-to-piece, for the same amount of money. I don't see how you could think a Mac can compete with IBM.

I bet it's nice with your Mac in lala land. :wink:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I repair pc's for a living, so yea, I've come in contact a bit with Macs (I'm new at it, but I now own my own company, and my S.O. has been doing it for 20 years). :D I don't really need to hate Apple, and don't. I just tell it like it is. That's reality. These things are made of plastic, cheap parts, just like most other pc's/laptops, save a few. They're just gimped a bit more than most other brands, and more expensive.

"Finely crafted" has to be the funniest fucking thing I've ever heard. :D I consider a custom-built pc to be finely-crafted. Well-engineered? IBM, Lenovo. Arguably the best you can buy when it comes to heavy-duty, built-to-last, well-constructed parts. Companies gimp the parts put in laptops. They figure out ways to cut corners by trimming-down and cheapening the parts.

Concerning the arguments with the screen display, well, I think watching a movie on a 14" display vs. a 13" is superior. When I have a certain amount of money to spend, I want the best bang for the buck, and I can get more by putting my money elsewhere. I can get a more powerful computer, with the same onboard graphics specs, that will play movies and anything else I want to do, same as, for less. Your argument there holds no water. As far as the speakers, MacBook Pros claim to have "stereo speakers with subwoofers". Apple doesn't even bother to tell you what kind. :D Lenovo provides "premium JBL stereo speakers". Lenovo also provides "One Key Theater", where you can switch from "normal to movie" mode for enhanced video and audio playback, and Dolby Home Theater, and MORE (for less money, of course). :) http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=653343E0DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A

I think the pleasure you speak of, is all in your head. :D There is no evidence of the graphics or sound being better on a Mac. Lenovo actually describes the technologies they are using, and they are superior. Macs are gimped in every sense of the word, if you want to compare part-to-part, piece-to-piece, for the same amount of money. I don't see how you could think a Mac can compete with IBM.

I bet it's nice with your Mac in lala land. :wink:

This is exactly the response I thought you would have. How totally boring.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I think you and I probably disagree on what "boring" means. :D

Perhaps.

You shouldn't assume I don't care about value and specs though just because I am not espousing them here.

My MacBook is very nice, it's made of aluminum btw, not plastic, and I do see it as adding value that my other laptops have not offered to me. Your argument is as subjective as mine, so you haven't really discredited it. Spec for spec, a PC looks better on paper than a Mac. It's why I didn't own a Mac for years. Now that I do, I am not disappointed in the extra investment.

I have owned Toshiba, Gateway and Sager laptops ... the Sager is being used by my son atm and the Gateway, my daughter. The Toshiba, failed. I have been impressed with the videos I have seen on Lenovo (spillage, impact, fast boot), so if CrystalViolet is looking for a PC laptop, it's a worthwhile brand to investigate. I would.

But I'll just continue to reside here in lala land ... :)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps.

My MacBook is very nice, it's made of aluminum btw, not plastic, and I do see it as adding value that my other laptops have not offered to me.
Your argument is as subjective as mine, so you haven't really discredited it. Spec for spec, a PC looks better on paper than a Mac. It's why I didn't own a Mac for years. Now that I do, I am not disappointed in the extra investment.

I have owned Toshiba, Gateway and Sager laptops ... the Sager is being used by my son atm and the Gateway, my daughter. The Toshiba, failed. I have been impressed with the videos I have seen on Lenovo (spillage, impact, fast boot), so if CrystalViolet is looking for a PC laptop, it's a worthwhile brand to investigate. I would.

But I'll just continue to reside here in lala land ... :)

Yes, I know the new Mac shells are made of aluminum; the old ones were polycarbonate. The new ones are fragile and easy to break, in general. The bodies on the new ones can warp lol.....

I simply think we value different things in general. I couldn't care less about "style" or paying more to be doing what the cool kids are doing lol...... I just want a speedy, well-engineered, well-made laptop that lasts. Mac does not fit the bill, comparatively. Simple as that.

As far as phones, I think the iphone works well and can compete.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I simply think we value different things in general. I couldn't care less about "style" or paying more to be doing what the cool kids are doing lol...... I just want a speedy, well-engineered, well-made laptop that lasts. Mac does not fit the bill, comparatively. Simple as that.

I hear your POV and respect your pen and paper analysis of PC vs Mac. But don't you think you have made inaccurate assumptions here? Nowhere do I say I want to pay more to "be doing what the cool kids are doing". Nowhere do I say don't want a "speedy, well-engineered, well-made laptop that lasts." I owned a Sager, one of the best value fastest gaming laptops on the market. My son is still using it.

I don't think you know what I value, because aside from saying I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy using a Mac, I haven't said what I look for when I buy a computer or how I choose one.

You see, I AGREE that a PC specs out better than a Mac on paper. In real life usage though, the Mac offers some benefits that weren't tangible to me either until I owned one. And upon reflection, to me they are worth the extra money. Still, I would buy another PC desktop when I upgrade from my XPS.

That's what I am saying, simple as that.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hear your POV and respect your pen and paper analysis of PC vs Mac. But don't you think you have made inaccurate assumptions here? Nowhere do I say I want to pay more to "be doing what the cool kids are doing". Nowhere do I say don't want a "speedy, well-engineered, well-made laptop that lasts." I owned a Sager, one of the best value fastest gaming laptops on the market. My son is still using it.

I don't think you know what I value, because aside from saying I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy using a Mac, I haven't said what I look for when I buy a computer or how I choose one.

You see, I AGREE that a PC specs out better than a Mac on paper. In real life usage though, the Mac offers some benefits that weren't tangible to me either until I owned one. And upon reflection, to me they are worth the extra money. Still, I would buy another PC desktop when I upgrade from my XPS.

That's what I am saying, simple as that.

I don't think I assume that's what you are looking for. That's what it sounds like by the description you gave. When you explained earlier the features you enjoyed, it sounded as if you were enjoying it's aesthetics, and overall experience and feelings it gave you.

I see very few advantages to owning a Mac, other than "style" and aesthetics.... (I personally do not prefer a Mac's look actually lol, .... just because I am more of a rocker, but I can understand why some people might)..... and the fact that it is easy to use. And if some people prefer the overall experience, I can go for that, although to me, it is completely unreasonable. So yes, I suppose I could assume that's what you are getting from using a Mac, and I refer to this as "lala land" lol.... :) To me, that's exactly where it is. However, your explanation confirmed that I was right if I had initially assumed so.

There is no evidence to back up any of your claims.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
And if some people prefer the overall experience, I can go for that, although to me, it is completely unreasonable.

That's your opinion, I respect it - yet I find your intractable POV rather unreasonable too. Let's shake hands and call it even.

So yes, I suppose I could assume that's what you are getting from using a Mac, and I refer to this as "lala land" lol.... :) To me, that's exactly where it is. However, your explanation confirmed that I was right if I had initially assumed so.

The difference between you and me is that I speak from experience, not from your "lala land" of speculation and assumption.

At any rate, my contributions in this thread were addressed to CrystalViolet and based off of my personal vantage point - not to put PC & Mac "head-to-head" or to convince YOU of why the Mac might be a better choice for her.

You of course, may buy as many Lenovos as you wish.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's your opinion, I respect it - yet I find your intractable POV rather unreasonable too. Let's shake hands and call it even.

The difference between you and me is that I speak from experience, not from your "lala land" of speculation and assumption.

I have experience with laptops, lol, and I've played around with Macs here and there. I know what they have to offer. :D I generally ignore them though, and I don't repair them. There's more overall money to be made with windows pc's, since then I can cater to businesses, and I can get into custom-builds, and that's more of what I am looking for.

So, although I have never bought one, and one thing you can bet on is that I probably never will unless I somehow become brain-damaged :D, I have seen enough from working with the ones that have come into my life here and there, to understand what they have to offer. :D What is seen on paper can be seen by the naked eye when testing a Mac.

Last edited: