• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hurricane Irene

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those of you living on the east coast of the US, expect to feel the impact of Hurricane Irene. Make sure that your home is prepped up in case the hurricane makes landfall.

To keep up to date on the track of the hurricane, go to the link for the National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

It is showing a more westward track, and there are reports that even the western edge of the storm will have strong winds.

To learn more about hurricane preparedness tips, go to this link provided by the National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/prepare.shtml

I hope everyone here on the east coast of the US stays safe and sound when the hurricane makes landfall.

LEGERdeMAIN

I'll be fine because I have an all-in-one disaster survival kit. If you'd like one, pm me with your address, bank account number and specific needs and I'll put one together for you. Hurricane Irene Special!!! Only $499 for a 3-day supply of canned food, some paracord and a cheap plastic flashlight(batteries not included). Thanx

gromit

likes this
Funny story.

I have plans to go hiking with a group of people this weekend, we have been emailing about logistics. Somebody brought up this Irene person, and the person organizing said "Irene is banned from any hikes I organize" and I was like WUHHH? Who is Irene, and why do we have such a problem with her?

:doh:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I keep getting, "Come on Irene" (Come on Eileen) in my head when I hear the name.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q"]:fpalm:[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously though yes, everyone, stay safe.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Must suck to have the same name as a hurricane.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not going to lie, I have no idea what to do. I'm just making sure my e-reader is charged and I've got tons of candles and peanut butter pretzels.

Atomic Fiend

Must suck to have the same name as a hurricane.
I'm sure all the Andrews and Katrinas are really hurting out there.

In other news, *phew* just missed us.

Not going to lie, I have no idea what to do. I'm just making sure my e-reader is charged and I've got tons of candles and peanut butter pretzels.
You'll be fine... as long as your not in the way of the storm, and your windows are covered if you are.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Bah. Probably some decent odds that my county will be told to evac sometime tomorrow. It's been suggested, but isn't mandatory yet.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This will be interesting. I'm staying for a Cat 2, but if it's going to be a Cat 3 when it hits us I'll likely exit the area. I've been through a Cat 1, and even that can be fairly devastating.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This will be interesting. I'm staying for a Cat 2, but if it's going to be a Cat 3 when it hits us I'll likely exit the area. I've been through a Cat 1, and even that can be fairly devastating.

Isabel was a category 1 when it got to us here, but it didn't do anything to my neighborhood. Which is strange because we've had floods and significant power outages from thunderstorms.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isabel was a category 1 when it got to us here, but it didn't do anything to my neighborhood. Which is strange because we've had floods and significant power outages from thunderstorms.

I'm in the Hampton Roads area at the southeast portion of the state, and Isabel tore us up. Storm surge was the biggest issue, really. The rest of it was mainly a lot of debris. A friend of mine didn't get power restored for 2 weeks, though.

Before this hurricane I sort of figured that a 2 or higher would warrant leaving the area, but now that a 2 is coming upon us, I can't be bothered. Heh.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

I was worried about my place in DC but supposedly Irene will just be a 'heavy thunderstorm' by the time it gets there, or so my property manager tells me. Bah.

I slept through Isabel - that was the one 6+ years ago? And I lived in a crappy neighborhood too that would easily get ignored by utility companies. We had no damage or outages.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

:doh: Why is it I didn't even need to see who posted this to know who it was? :laugh:

If you are going to be in the storm's way, I suggest ensuring your car is parked on as high of ground as possible. The only problems I ran into with Ike was that the ground was SO saturated that a freak flash-flood that happened right after the hurricane passed flooded the back of my car.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's definitely starting to look bad out here and rain some but it probably won't be too rough. Luckily, my building is built like a castle and has probably existed for as long. Unfortunately...my bike is in an uncovered gravel parking lot. :(

Damn nature always ruining weekends.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, you are in NC? Good luck! Hopefully that bike is chained up good, though.

Edit: Actually, I have no idea how one would go about anchoring a bike during a hurricane...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just checked the news, and it seems good. I guess there are some dry bands that are weakening Irene. It's down from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2, and will work it's way up the first part of the coast as a Cat 1. People further up the coast should be getting a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.

A

A window to the soul

Just checked the news, and it seems good. I guess there are some dry bands that are weakening Irene. It's down from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2, and will work it's way up the first part of the coast as a Cat 1. People further up the coast should be getting a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.

There's no guarantee of that. Are you in Irene's path? If you're a Yankee that's never ridden out a cat 2 hurricane (or even a cat 1), you might consider getting the hell of its way. A cat 1 hurricane will be much worse than any thunderstorm you've seen. Projectiles fly around, even during a cat 1 hurricane, and with a storm this size it will go on for hours. If this storm passes over your area, you *will* lose power and roads *will* be covered with debris immediately after the storm, making them unsafe and some undriveable. When power is out, traffic lights don’t work.

I'll see if I can dig up my pictures from the hurricane Ike aftermath, which passed directly over Houston where I live. It was a cat 2 hurricane. My family evacuated, but I stayed with my pup to hold down the fort. It was amazing to watch. I heard all kinds of stuff hitting my house. There was so much debris flying around outside that when I looked out the window, I couldn’t see beyond a few feet. I could hear the sounds of fences falling over all around me, limbs snapping, and trees falling. The huge pine tree in my yard fell on my next door neighbor’s house. We had a citywide power outage. It took 10-days for the power to get restored to my street. There are only so many resources after a storm like this, so it takes time for the roads to get cleared and power to get restored to a large city.