• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anti viral drug

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/antiviral-0810.html

"New drug could cure nearly any viral infection

Researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Lab have developed technology that may someday cure the common cold, influenza and other ailments."

This looks very promising. The really cool part is that it doesn't look like it could be applied to a very broad range of diseases. Nice piece of work.

While this is somewhat trivial - can you imagine having the common cold finally just about beaten?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This could be great in terms of serious illnesses. They don't mention HIV but say that in theory it could work on all viruses. Wow, can you imagine in it did? :shock:

But as much as I dislike colds and the flu, I think it may be a bad idea to cure them. I think our bodies need at least an occasional workout for our immune system.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
In cases of HIV, it may be used, but it will not be the sole treatment. The fact is that if the apoptotic mechanism is not functioning correctly, then the treatment will not be as effective - a key point to consider since certain types of cancers are now being associated with viruses. But the apoptotic or (immunological) detection domains can be impaired in other diseases as well, including methods of circumvention initiated by the viruses themselves.

Note that this has only been demonstrated for dsRNA viruses so far. It is also interesting to consider what specificity it might have for dsRNA phages and how this may upset the balance of gut flora.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This could be great in terms of serious illnesses. They don't mention HIV but say that in theory it could work on all viruses. Wow, can you imagine in it did? :shock:

But as much as I dislike colds and the flu, I think it may be a bad idea to cure them. I think our bodies need at least an occasional workout for our immune system.

Not to mention that without colds and flu it would be harder to come up with a viable excuse for getting out of something unpleasant.

nikketB

A new “Superdrug” developed by experts at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology might be capable of healing any virus from Ebola to the common cold. The drug is a long way from human trials, but it shows a lot of promise by attacking the genetic structure of viruses. MIT creates Superdrug that may be capable to destroy all viruses. The new “superdrug” called DRACO has the potential to kill any and all viruses. The whole procedure including the minutest details will soon be revealed through PLoS ONE. These viruses include rhinovirus, H1N1 influenza strains, adenoviruses, stomach viruses like reovirus, polio stain, dengue fever and a number of hemorrhagic arenavirus and bunyavirus. These diseases are very common in the third world countries and they have even led to death of victims eventually, thus, finding a treatment is very important.

However, DRACO is not going to be available for some time. The researchers estimate it will be a decade before animal and human trials will have concluded and DRACO will be available for human use.