• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buying a Motorcycle

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll probably get a mesh jacket then. Especially since it doesn't get too cold where I am. But in any case I'll get a scarf if I realllllllly need too :)

I think it is really dumb that so many idiot motorcyclists are allowed on the road. Part of my logic in deciding that while motorcycles are statistically unsafe, but will hopefully work for me is I intend on not being an idiot. How fast do 250cc bikes normally go? Comfortably for the machine, without making it angry. And hey, you read my mind! I was wondering about you know, freaking out on a bike. I am a little worried I will freak out, but I will try to remain calm.

I don't think I will really want to go all that fast. But I want it to be light and handle well. Are you ever going to sell your bike?

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I'll probably get a mesh jacket then. Especially since it doesn't get too cold where I am. But in any case I'll get a scarf if I realllllllly need too :)

I think it is really dumb that so many idiot motorcyclists are allowed on the road. Part of my logic in deciding that while motorcycles are statistically unsafe, but will hopefully work for me is I intend on not being an idiot. How fast do 250cc bikes normally go? Comfortably for the machine, without making it angry. And hey, you read my mind! I was wondering about you know, freaking out on a bike. I am a little worried I will freak out, but I will try to remain calm.

I don't think I will really want to go all that fast. But I want it to be light and handle well. Are you ever going to sell your bike?

Comfortably? Well, depends on your preference and how okay ye are with the possibility of getting a ticket... but in general I feel good around 80 for the higher end of how fast I go (unless on a straightaway in the middle of nowhere). Above that is unnecessary unless I'm specifically doing it to have fun. :newwink:

A key component to not freaking out is riding at about 75% of your ability - enough to have fun, but not enough to get the kind of adrenaline rush or feeling of fear that makes ye shaky. And no one knows what that level is but you. I don't care if ye're riding with a group, a good friend, or in a hurry to get somewhere - don't do it. Signal to the others to slow down, pull over, or take the lead so you can set the pace and make the choice of route. Good riders respect others' varying levels of skill, experience and preference. :yes:

I will sell my bike when I buy a new one - but that probably won't be for a year or so? Financially I'm not really at that point - I just got a 10% raise, which will go straight to the tuition I pay out of pocket. :laugh:

I'm thinking a new motorcycle will be my graduation present to meself. :happy2:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt I would go above 80. I definitely do not want a ticket. I don't have any straightaways around me that I can ride like that on :(

Fortunately for me, I don't let peers pressure me, so I should be fine riding at 75% my ability. How much would you sell your bike for? And what bike are you going to be getting next? What did your parents say about you getting a motorcycle?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do it!! Then I won't be alone :)

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
I doubt I would go above 80. I definitely do not want a ticket. I don't have any straightaways around me that I can ride like that on :(

Fortunately for me, I don't let peers pressure me, so I should be fine riding at 75% my ability. How much would you sell your bike for? And what bike are you going to be getting next? What did your parents say about you getting a motorcycle?

I would probably sell mine for around $1750, mayyyybe $2000 - it's a 2003 model, and I just got a new drive chain and it has some custom work... this is my exact bike, year, make, model and colour:
2003-Kawasaki-ZZ-R250b.jpg

*hugs the picture* My flying lime.

What do I want next? ...*romantic sigh* I had to snip out the original picture, because I have fallen in love with a certain cafe racer. Not lust at first sight - love. :wubbie:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've had my eye on the Triumph Street Triple R for years!

Triumph_Street_Triple_R_09_0.jpg

I'm also really into retro bikes and cafe racers, and really dig Triumph's Thruxton.

thruxton.jpg

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why a standard?

I would probably sell mine for around $1750, mayyyybe $2000 - it's a 2003 model, and I just got a new drive chain and it has some custom work... this is my exact bike, year, make, model and colour:
2003-Kawasaki-ZZ-R250b.jpg

*hugs the picture* My flying lime.

What do I want next? ...*romantic sigh* I had to snip out the original picture, because I have fallen in love with a certain cafe racer. Not lust at first sight - love. :wubbie:

I can't see the picture :( But I googled the year of it. What exactly is a cafe racer? I know what they look like, but what are they for?

And if you sold your bike in a year or so, would you consider selling it to me? :D I probably won't have the money for one for at least a year, because I am going to try to pay for my own college. Which is part of the reason I am wanting a bike- greater financial independence.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Standards/cruisers are well-rounded and comfortable. The handle-bar styling feels natural (like a bicycle) and is the preferable styling for the general transportation you'd do with a car. Choppers and harleys are great for roadtrips, and sports-bikes are great for racing and on the highway, but the standard is a natural position, allowing a new rider to enjoy the experience, focus on traffic, safety, and riding technique instead of trying to manage a heavy chopper or harley, or staying balanced and aware of everything around you on the forward-tilt of a sports bike.

standard_motorcycle.jpg

Position: |>

-Pay least amount for given level of performance
-Comfortable in all riding situations, yet more maneuverable than a chopper or harley
-Least likely to lay down, or have an accident with another vehicle

1190155505_motorcycledeaths-220x165.jpg

Position: />

-Aggressive body styling looks cool
-Usually outfitted with higher performance (read: acceleration) parts
-Uncomfortable in traffic or for 40+ minute rides and hard on the wrists
-Poor low-speed turning ability, which is why it's preferable for highway riding.

0905_hrbp_01_z+2006_harley_davidson_flhx+riding.jpg

Position: \>

-Ideal for long distances (very comfortable and usually outfitted with convenient features for this)
-Heavy and more difficult to navigate in traffic
-Unimpressive gas mileage

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would be interesting to see what I prefer, because when I bike, I lean over hardcore.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Just answering your query as far as which will handle well. Sportsbikes (forward leaning) have a short, controlled turning radius that leaves more of the turning capability up to the rider's bodyweight, thus allowing smooth and efficient lines through long curves on a racetrack or highway.

However, for normal daily uses there's nothing to justify their popularity besides the looks. With city driving the short turning radius is less agile, meaning you sometimes have to really throw your weight around to make a tight turn in traffic. The forward leaning position is very hard on the wrists and body in the city and in traffic, because you're stopping and going and so aren't able to suspend your bodyweight on your midsection like you would while riding (as your feet will spend more time on the ground). This wear further proves to degrade your riding performance and safety. It's also harder to look over your shoulder on a sportsbike and stay aware of cars in general without affecting your balance.

Harley and cruisers are almost never ideal for first time buyers. They're reclined, so they're great for long distances without making your bum sore. They're heavy too, which leads to a greater likelihood that a first time rider will drop the bike in a tight turn while driving in the city.

If I could do it all over again, I'd start with a standard, hands down. They're also the cheapest per performance because you aren't paying for a bunch of racing plastic or chrome.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much do standards cost in general? Both used and new. Definitely do not want a Harley. I want a small, light bike, which is why I was looking at the Ninja 250 and the Honda.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go to different dealerships. Sit on the bikes. See what feels comfortable and what you feel confident on. There's no wrong choice. Just what feels best for you.

If you know anyone that has a dirt bike and some gear, ask them if they'd mind taking you riding a bit. Dirt is more forgiving than pavement and no traffic to worry about. It's a good way to get used to the general mechanics of riding, just you and the bike. As a female, most guys would be happy to bring you out and have you ride. So don't be shy about asking. :)

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
I can't see the picture :( But I googled the year of it. What exactly is a cafe racer? I know what they look like, but what are they for?

And if you sold your bike in a year or so, would you consider selling it to me? :D I probably won't have the money for one for at least a year, because I am going to try to pay for my own college. Which is part of the reason I am wanting a bike- greater financial independence.

Cafe racers are a style of bike which is moderately compact, modified for speed and spiffy handling (less so for comfort) with a history originating in Europe... love the history. The examples Disco posted are good examples of the body style and such - a bit more stripped down and utilitarian than many bikes.

I would certainly consider selling mine to you... but I live across the country from you, so that might affect your decision. :ninja: It may be closer to a year and a half in terms of when I'll be able to, also.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MDP: that was my plan, actually. I really think I need to get a feel for them. Now I just need to find guys on bikes to ride around with some :(

Zoom: I like the look of the cafe racers. They look like motorized bikes (yeah yeah, I know they are). They didn't look very comfortable. Do people normally put seat covers on motorcycles?

And excellent, I know you live in Portland. In it? I think so. Anyway, I really have been wanting to go to the west coast for some time. In fact, I may go to college out there. But I'm really not sure of anything at the moment. And the time isn't a problem either- I need to make sure I can fully afford a motorcycle and school before I get one anyway. But it is good to know I may have at least one option :)

Do bikes normally last a long while? I don't want to get one and end up having it fall apart/die because it was just older/had way too many miles.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Here's a more economical cafe racer option.

It's built from a Suzuki s40 by Ryca motors and gets about 60 mpg, and is damn good looking to boot.

201005260717.jpg

4622705203_091a8189d0_o.jpg

[YOUTUBE="ByNxIZh9Kew"]Ryca CS-1[/YOUTUBE]

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those look really, really uncomfortable