• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UK's first hybrid embryos created

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Ok, this is really icky. I don't like this at all.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dubious use of the word hybrid, IMO. There is no splice or mix of genetic material between species. This type of "cell shell" growth technique has been around for some time.

That said, I have mixed thoughts and feelings on this. Not the fact it is being done with human parts - the fact that this "cell shell" growth technique is done at all.

cheers,
Ian

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I don't see anything problematic with the idea, so far... it's not as if the current goal is to create a human-cow hybrid with unprecedented milking potential... now that would be a curious thing to happen!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
So basically the cow eggs act as incubators for the human DNA? Disturbing, but logical and efficient.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I don't see the big deal. We, as a species, over produce fertilisable material in the billions. Women lose eggs every month, and men billions of sperm. If it can be made useful for a few days and find a cure to large scale killers of adult humans, that for me far outweighs the harm of destroying pinhead sized clusters of cells that are no more capable of feeling pain or sentience than the hair we shave off, or the cells we destroy when we pierce an ear.

The key thing is controls. I'm pleased to say that the UK government is having a full scale vote about this in the Parliament, and that the Prime Minister has given permission for a free vote (ie, he won't ask his party members to back the party, they can vote with their underlying opinion).

mooky

Well my first reaction was what day was it in the news!

And yep I was right, 1st Of April.

I'm suspisous.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Well my first reaction was what day was it in the news!

And yep I was right, 1st Of April.

I'm suspisous.

Nah, there is lots of discussion about this in March and Catholic Church "outrage" over the Easter weekend.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Weren't they talking awhile ago about creating human/pig hybrids for the purpose of harvesting for organ transplants?

It's probably totally unrelated, but I do wonder if such a thing is possible, and if it is, then is it ethical?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
think of the possibilities

sealmanlq2.jpg

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
This is on TV and radio... I don't understand why this is causing such a stir-up. Hardly anything new...

picture of mouse human hybrid I bet most of you have seen this way back... :rolli:

It's best to call it chimera rather than hybrid. You would think a hybrid is functional... this embryo is sure not.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Very, very interesting idea. I'd love to see the little bird hybrid go up. But the law and government, coupled with religion will always be obstacles in the field of science.

@nightning: but if that was so old, this is the future. We could actually observe a possible hybrid growing.

heart

heart on fire
So, one step closer to Kramer's fear that there will be a slave class of Pigmen.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
With new discoveries in science, how we will use and treat them will also pose a question. Would it be right to use hybrids as slaves, because they are part human? Would they be ab experiments, or would people fight for their rights? I'm pretty sure the animal/instinctive part of their brains would be higher than the logical part.

heart

heart on fire
Would it be right to use hybrids as slaves, because they are part human?

No.

Would they be ab experiments, or would people fight for their rights?

This person will.

I'm pretty sure the animal/instinctive part of their brains would be higher than the logical part.

If they are even part human, this point is not relevant in my opinion.