• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UK's first hybrid embryos created

TBiddy

MBTI Type
INFP
i think the main debate (aside from on religious grounds) is that you are using something that could potentially be life.

i think that if the embryo could feel pain by this stage then its probably not acceptable, but my understanding is that they dont feel pain til some time after 20 weeks.

so if they dont feel pain then whats all the fuss? it can save peoples lives. the fact that it could become life is irrelevant if they do not have consciousness or feel pain - think of all the sperm that have died to allow one baby to be born. they could all have become life, but they dont feel anything so no one worries about it

heart

heart on fire
i
i think that if the embryo could feel pain by this stage then its probably not acceptable, but my understanding is that they dont feel pain til some time after 20 weeks.

How do they know this? Did they poll them or something? ;)

TBiddy

MBTI Type
INFP
before this time embryos are unresponsive. after 24 weeks or so they show signs of consciousness and they respond to stimuli and even show facial expression (i think)

the brain neurons link up and brain waves are first detected, which shows pain can be felt and so on.