• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The horrors of Vista - LOVE this Mac commercial!

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I really like Vista

I hate Nvidia's drivers for vista though. If it weren't for those my system would be top notch. But I also have the machine to run it.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
vista has been working superbly for me as well.

i think it's interesting that people are inclined to blame their operating system or brand of computer for problems when those who are more experienced seem to have little or no problems...

there's a reason for that discrepancy: user error

sassafrassquatch

microsoft.jpg

They'll pry XP from my cold dead hands.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I also hate Vista and resent the fact that the new laptop I bought came burdened with it.

When 2000 came out, I was happy with that. I liked it. Hated ME, but XP Pro compensated. Hate XP Home, but love XP Pro. Vista... sucks monkey balls. Now I've got to actually go out and buy a legal copy of XP Pro - either that or keep being driven insane by Vista - which is most unfortunate.

It just seems so 'Dumby' to me.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Now I've got to actually go out and buy a legal copy of XP Pro.

May I ask why? (Not why you want, but why you need to buy it).

either that or keep being driven insane by Vista - which is most unfortunate.

What's driving you insane about it? I can probably help solve it.

Anyway, I don't think Vista is bad, but it is definitely not worth it if you were paying to upgrade. The original ideas that were supposed to be in it were pretty cool. I used some of the very early builds a couple years ago, and while they were unstable, some of the features were quite nice. I expect Vista to improve a lot with future service packs...remember, most people didn't start using XP until Service Pack 2.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
vista has been working superbly for me as well.

i think it's interesting that people are inclined to blame their operating system or brand of computer for problems when those who are more experienced seem to have little or no problems...

there's a reason for that discrepancy: user error
Sorry, but this is flat not true. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with more experience and skill in maintaining computers (after all, I program them, and not just "hello world" apps), and Vista is a royal pain in the ass.

Sure, I've become accustomed to it (in fact, I'm using it right now), but XP was better than Vista by a longshot. I mean, they even changed the network stack (which is now all screwed up and breaks constantly). I've had to reinstall the OS twice already since I bought the computer in early December due to problems, and I'm considering doing it again because it will just randomly quit allowing new socket connections until you reboot the machine, which is yet another problem that can't seem to be fixed.

I'm afraid to try SP1 because M$ is notorious for totally screwing up their first service packs so the system is even less stable than it was before.

I would have purchased this PC with XP Pro, but it wasn't available. I'd run Linux, but I have to deal with Windows stuff for work. Then again, I already have my hands tied by Vista, so I guess running XP Pro within a VM would be better than this.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am definitely a PC guy. That said, I'm not going anywhere near Vista. My laptop came with XP, and I'm not changing it. I think every MS OS has gotten a little worse since Windows 98, which was awesome.

Also, :wubbie: Judy Greer

sassafrassquatch

Win98 was still a DOS shell, XP was the first MS consumer OS to be based on NT which for me has been rock solid stable. Vista dropped all the nifty new features and ended up being a bloated XP SP3 with an ass ugly UI. Hopefully Windows 7 will be decent.

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I am definitely a PC guy. That said, I'm not going anywhere near Vista. My laptop came with XP, and I'm not changing it. I think every MS OS has gotten a little worse since Windows 98, which was awesome.

Also, :wubbie: Judy Greer

Were you able to type that with a straight face?

Win98 was still a DOS shell, XP was the first MS consumer OS to be based on NT which for me has been rock solid stable. Vista dropped all the nifty new features and ended up being a bloated XP SP3 with an ass ugly UI. Hopefully Windows 7 will be decent.

Windows 2k was the first to use NT

When Vista first came out I thought it was pretty funny that they reviewed it on a system that barely met the minimum requirements and said it was incredibly unstable and slow. Reeaalllyyy

My copy of Vista so far has only crashed because of my Nvidea drivers. And even then Vista automatically recovered... which XP can't do.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
May I ask why? (Not why you want, but why you need to buy it).

Cos I've run out of friends who can get me dodgy copies and it'd be nice to be able to actually do the updates for a change :D

What's driving you insane about it? I can probably help solve it.

Nah, it's not technical problems, it's just the whole setup, the style, the layout, all other options of style and layout, the presentation, just everything about it sucks. Personal thing, no doubt... I just don't like it at all. I still run XP Pro in "windows classic" mode, cos I'm just someone who needs to have everything out in the open and easily accessible to tweak and twiddle as and when I please... I felt that XP with it's usual 'front' was too dumbed down, and Vista even more so... it's like they're hiding away anything that's actually useful or interesting in case the idiots find it and break the machine. Which leaves the people who actually do know what they're doing, frustrated because they have to go through so much rigmarole to get to anything 'manual'. Like I said, a personal thing. If you like it, I'm happy for you, but I hate it :)

I was on XP Pro from the week it was released - I was married to a computer engineer and therefore picked up quite a bit and lived with compulsive uprgrade-itis! :laugh:

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
I left Bill for Steve last year.

I've worked with Unix since the mid 1980s so contemplated Linux but have played with different versions Mandrake/SuSe/Redhat etc and just couldn't decide.

I've worked with DOS since 1982 and then Windows 2 in the late 80s then 3.11 etc.

It has always been a case of "what have they screwed up now"?

Faced with the need to get a new computer the thought of getting a Windows Notebook and dealing with Vista scared me (I have a mate who has been part of all windows betas since the 1980s...) so I made the leap to Apple.

The different mouse and control methods were quick to learn and I have not had any regrets in the change. After more than 20 years messing around to keep things working on other systems, this just darned well works.

I love the ad - particularly since I do yoga and pilates....

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
We needed a new computer so I took the plunge and bought my wife the iMac for Christmas (I still use PCs for work). Gotta say it was the best purchase I have ever made. My only gripe would be that it lowers my usefulness quotient around home as tech support. Maybe I will have to develop those shadow functions now.....

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Cos I've run out of friends who can get me dodgy copies and it'd be nice to be able to actually do the updates for a change :D

Heh, there are ways around Genuine Advantage...but I'm not going to discuss that. ;)

Which leaves the people who actually do know what they're doing, frustrated because they have to go through so much rigmarole to get to anything 'manual'. Like I said, a personal thing. If you like it, I'm happy for you, but I hate it :)

Personally, I haven't found it bad once I modify it like you said, I just enable "classic" mode on everything, turn off UAC (that has got to be the most useless thing ever), and use the proper Administrator account. (Admin Tools>Computer Management>Local Users, right-click on "Administrator" and click enable.).

To be honest, I still use Windows 2000 Pro for most things, I only use Vista for games and some media stuff. (I've got both of those and Ubuntu Linux installed...).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
So millerm, what you're saying is, if you switch off everything that makes it Vista and make it run like XP Pro, it's fine? :rofl1: