• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iPhone 5- To wait or not to wait.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been a Blackberry customer since like 2004 when I got one for work, and it has been a great run. But it seems like the OS for BB is so anti-social that the only thing saving BB now is Blackberry Messenger.

I'm looking forward to getting a new phone, and for the last 6 months or so have been in the process of deciding on some kind of android phone or the iPhone. Based on the fact that I already have iTunes and 3 iPods, I choose iPhone to simplify, that is, merge my phone with my music and apps.

So, on July 6, I'm eligible to renew my 2 year contract with Verizon. I'm ready to jump on the iPhone 4, but I know that the 5 is ready to be released. One part of me wants the 4, but another is saying that it might be worth it to wait until the 5 is released.

I've checked out the 'net, and the biggest rumor is that it will be faster, and a slightly bigger screen. Honestly, I don't know if that's enough to make me wait.
Plus is there any guarantee that it will drop in September?

I could also wait until they announce the 5 later this summer and get a 4 at a great deal since they will be outdated.

What do you guys think? If there's no compelling reason to wait any longer, I think I'm going to grab one later this week.

Wait for the 5 or not?

Thanks.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how will this affect what price you will be paying on your phone and contract when you switch phones? are you going to be out of contract for a while before upgrading? or are you going to re-up your contract when it expires and then get the i-phone 5 when it comes out (you will have to pay full price if you choose this option, which will be a lot of money, because you will not be using your once-every-2-years precious upgrade to get a discounted price on your new phone!)... also take into consideration which option will allow you to be grandfathered into your old unlimited data plan instead of getting dragged into the new capped data plan where you will get charged for overages :thumbdown:

no real opinions on the phone since I loathe apple products, but I do know that there are a bazillion ways that you can screw yourself over while upgrading if you aren't careful :)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
how will this affect what price you will be paying on your phone and contract when you switch phones? are you going to be out of contract for a while before upgrading? or are you going to re-up your contract when it expires and then get the i-phone 5 when it comes out (you will have to pay full price if you choose this option, which will be a lot of money, because you will not be using your once-every-2-years precious upgrade to get a discounted price on your new phone!)... also take into consideration which option will allow you to be grandfathered into your old unlimited data plan instead of getting dragged into the new capped data plan where you will get charged for overages :thumbdown:

no real opinions on the phone since I loathe apple products, but I do know that there are a bazillion ways that you can screw yourself over while upgrading if you aren't careful :)

The way it works for me with Verizon is that I will re-enter a 2 year contract on the phone, which means I'llg et the 2 year discount, which means I'm stuck with the phone for 2 years, so if I wanted to get the 5 I'd have to pay full price.

I'm still under a 2 year contract until March 2012, but on July 6 I can get an early upgrade. I originally got the Storm 1 in March 2009, it broke so I got the 2 in July 2010, so I rolled into another year.

I checked with them, and I'll be gf into my old data plan unlimited. But that's going to run out before the 5 is released so it's a rush to get me into another phone, which I don't like but I won't lose sleep over that. I've been a VZW customer since like 1997 when they were still Bell Atlantic Mobile. I love their service.

I learned all my options back in April, on my bday as a matter of fact. I wanted out the phone so bad at that time I was in there like 2 hours trying to get them to give me something.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
does your wish for a iphone 5 outweigh the practicality of staying in a grandfathered data plan and not paying something like $700 for a new phone? this is the practical question :)

of course you could call customer retentions and say that somebody offered you a better rate and a total discount on a new phone and see them scramble to keep you as a customer... I've seen that happen quite often :whistling:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
does your wish for a iphone 5 outweigh the practicality of staying in a grandfathered data plan and not paying something like $700 for a new phone? this is the practical question :)

of course you could call customer retentions and say that somebody offered you a better rate and a total discount on a new phone and see them scramble to keep you as a customer... I've seen that happen quite often :whistling:

Yeeah I have to figure out what date I have until to upgrade and not lose my unlimited. Good thought.

I tried to stick it to them in April, and they wouldn't budge. I think it's because I was stuck in the phone. I'll try again now that I got more leverage! LOL

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
once your contract is up you have A LOT of leverage... I can quote you the rates and re-upped phone prices with a few different carriers if you really need some leverage with them :laugh: that's about the time that they freak out and give in to your demands :yes:

but yes... you can use your i-tunes on an android phone as well (I used to run i-tunes on a blackberry for goodness sake!), so if you aren't particularly attached to the little apple symbol on the back that does free up your phone choices quite a bit :) (I'd suggest going with the Thunderbolt if you're sticking with Verizon... or if you have until August to keep your grandfathered data, I'd suggest the Galaxy S II)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
once your contract is up you have A LOT of leverage... I can quote you the rates and re-upped phone prices with a few different carriers if you really need some leverage with them :laugh: that's about the time that they freak out and give in to your demands :yes:

but yes... you can use your i-tunes on an android phone as well (I used to run i-tunes on a blackberry for goodness sake!), so if you aren't particularly attached to the little apple symbol on the back that does free up your phone choices quite a bit :) (I'd suggest going with the Thunderbolt if you're sticking with Verizon... or if you have until August to keep your grandfathered data, I'd suggest the Galaxy S II)

Hit me on PM....I'd like that leverage LOL

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
done... you now have all of the competitor rate plans and the prices with a contract for thier top of the line phones! :cheese:

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have the same issue. My AT&T contract (and my crappy phone) expire next week. I also can't decide between an iPhone and a Android. Were I to choose an iPhone, I'd probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and then try to get an iPhone 4 cheap. I've never had any kind of data plan, so I'm screwed either way on that. I'm probably going to switch to Verizon, so does anyone have any opinions on iPhone vs. Android for Verizon?

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Have you considered the 3GS if it's a lot cheaper? It's the max I personally would want for a phone although the iPhone 4 does have more memory (which i dont think matters since it too reloads multiple tabbed websites) and a nicer camera, but it's antenna is inferior. The 3GS is fast enough imo at 600mhz. I use it for Internet surfing with multiple tabs. The 5 will just be superfluous

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you considered the 3GS if it's a lot cheaper? It's the max I personally would want for a phone although the iPhone 4 does have more memory (which i dont think matters since it too reloads multiple tabbed websites) and a nicer camera, but it's antenna is inferior. The 3GS is fast enough imo at 600mhz. I use it for Internet surfing with multiple tabs. The 5 will just be superfluous

I don't think they have the 3 for Verizon. I'll have to check it out.

G

Glycerine

Verizon does not have iPhone 3, only the 4. Verizon probably is going to delay the iphone 5 because the white version came out a month or two ago. They are coming out with the Droid Bionic pretty which also sounds pretty cool.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
So I got the iPhone 4 on Wednesday. The salesperson was biased towards the Droid, but for reasons that weren't compelling. I think both salespeople I dealt with were anti Apple, though. I would have waited but I learned that VZW was discontinuing unlimited data plans after July 8, so I had to resign a contract before then.

I love the phone though. It's much more intuitive than my BB storm, which I noticed they don't even sell anymore.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
samsung galaxy s2 is better and cheaper than iphone4.

Little_Sticks

Build a small cell tower that connects a satellite dish on your head to a landline phone or the wireless internet from your home. I think it would be less hassle.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wait for the iPhone 5 to come out, get it discounted with a new contract, sell it new on ebay while the interest is high and then buy an inexpensive iphone 4 use on the contract