• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you want microchips to do?

ygolo

My termites win
Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a few ideas:

1. Drive a car.

2. Make strategies, plans, and inferences based on new information. (To act as an adviser, help people interpret data, etc.)

3. Lock/unlock doors automatically when recognizing certain people.

4. Locate anything I've lost based on a verbal description of it.

5. Locate and kill insects in my home.

What do you think?

ygolo

My termites win
I have a few ideas:

1. Drive a car.

2. Make strategies, plans, and inferences based on new information. (To act as an adviser, help people interpret data, etc.)

3. Lock/unlock doors automatically when recognizing certain people.

4. Locate anything I've lost based on a verbal description of it.

5. Locate and kill insects in my home.

What do you think?

Well, not entirely far fetch to have systems that do these things. The of the functionality we can fit on the chip, the more profit we can make.

1) DARPA Grand Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) General Problem Solver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3) Facial recognition system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4) If you implant an RF-ID in everything you want to track, and keep a central tracking console in the den (or someplace). Is that good enough?

5) We'll have to modify a bunch of Roombas to vacuum up insects in particular. Can modify it with heuristics of where insects like to hide. Then the roombas can just continually vacuum those areas. How does that sound?
This also seems like an application for swarm robotics.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I want mine to make toast and pay my bills.

Such bull. But we can't even rely on a microcontroller alone to do all that.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Run virtually for ever on a tiny power source, perhaps even from ambient heat. That way I can have "permanently on" PDAs or hiking GPS etc without worrying about size and batteries.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I've always liked the idea of microprocessors doing science - that is a computer forming and testing its own unique series of hypotheses.
I know this is not really a unique idea, in fact it is inevitable for the further development of the complex sciences.

But just imagine real time analysis of a majority of the chemical processes in a cell!

Geoff - fortunately, some people are working on just that. It also has lots of potential in biological applications.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Politics and law.

That way we can have the executions and not have to worry. Sorted.