• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in UFOs?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This topic mixes two issues, is there intelligent life out there and does that civilization flies over our heads. What are two different subjects.

It is true that universe is very big place but it is also a very homogeneous place that is run by laws of physics. In other words the odds for creation of advanced civilizations aren't too great in the universe and that may make the concept of a civilization rare. First of all, most of space is intergalactic space and therefore it doesn't have matter to make the stars, which will eventually produce heavier elements vital for life and planet formation. While most of galaxies is actually interstellar space that is basically the same thing. So in the start you have cut out 99.9999 ... % of that space.

While in the places that can support complex chemical life there are also problems. Inside the stellar clouds the star's energy can have a problem reaching a planet. In star clusters that can contain thousands of stars closely packed the paths of the planets can be too chaotic due to gravity and extra radiation could be a problem. In every star system there should be a debris from formation of the star system in the forms of asteroids and comets, that can be a threat to life (especially advanced life). Some stars live too shortly to sustain a evolution around them. Some part of the galaxies may have such a star formation process that it doesn't produce enough stars that eventually produce heavier elements, that are vital for life and planet formation and therefore such places need more time to make such chemical elements. What makes them "less fertile". Telescopes have noticed neutron star collisions, which are extremely deadly and a single collision could wipe out a number of civilizations with one flash. Plus there is the great question of what is needed to create multi-cellular life and does every life have the natural tendency to evolve towards a civilization.

Therefore on the closer look the idea that universe is full of life because it is big may be optimistic point of view. The odds are that there may be primitive life around but civilizations can be fairly uncommon and therefore probably distant one from another at this point of universe's life. In other words the universe is pretty young and therefore the amount of elements heavier than Helium is still relatively low, what decreases the odds for life. I mean my whole point is that "universe is so big" may not mean that it is full of life or that it looks as Startrek, where there are endless civilizations that are all in evolution just a few thousand years up and down.

However my biggest problem with UFOs is that they just don't strike me as something that flies between the stars. I guess that is my half-subjective opinion since there is a question of living space energy and resources. All things considered and if I have to make bets other that "UFOs aren't real" I would probably place my bet on the idea that some group of people managed to tech up quickly during the early human civilization and now they are just messing with us for the sake of fun.

rav3n

UFOs are a definitive possibility but at present, there's insufficient scientific evidence to prove that any have entered Earth's atmosphere and interacted with humans. Strange lights in the sky can be hoaxes, the result of new tech or natural but rare phenomenon.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't believe in me, yet you believe in UFOs.
What does it even mean, to believe in you? I accept that you exist. Is that enough?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I believe some drunken illegal space alien crashed at Roswell and we're probably reverse engineering a lot of cool shit at secret sites like Area 51.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You’re sounding like an agnostic. It is simply not enough to acknowledge his existence. You must except Mole into your heart.

:D
Quite the contrary. An agnostic doesn't accept the existence of something, but rather maintains that its existence can not be proven or established. Accepting moles into one's heart is no more beneficial than accepting them into one's garden. They undermine the place, with no positive contributions. But then that is my view about most things/people.

Mole

Permabanned
What does it even mean, to believe in you? I accept that you exist. Is that enough?

If only that were enough. If only simple existence were enough, but my soul is troubled as I have fallen in love

My life is no longer simple. Currents rage within and carry me I know not wither.

Oh Cupid, Cupid, let me be.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If only that were enough. If only simple existence were enough, but my soul is troubled as I have fallen in love

My life is no longer simple. Currents rage within and carry me I know not wither.
All that is your own affair, and does not require my belief, either to exist, or to be resolved.

Quite the contrary. An agnostic doesn't accept the existence of something, but rather maintains that its existence can not be proven or established. Accepting moles into one's heart is no more beneficial than accepting them into one's garden. They undermine the place, with no positive contributions. But then that is my view about most things/people.
Noncommittal theist? Agnostic wasn’t what I was going for but my brain decided to place it there anyway. Stupid brain.

Are you sure you don’t want to join the Ministry of Mole? There’s a newsletter!

Mole

Permabanned
Are you sure you don’t want to join the Ministry of Mole? There’s a newsletter!

In the Ministry of Mole we insist on alliteration. We believe in discipline. If we can't alliterate, we to go back to school. And if it doesn't come trippingly off the tongue, it is not worth saying.

We follow our Mole into battle, with his war cry ringing in our ears, "A Mole! A Mole!".

Mole

Permabanned
Mole End

Accepting moles into one's heart is no more beneficial than accepting them into one's garden. They undermine the place, with no positive contributions.

Welcome to the Mole Underground. We not only talk the talk, we also walk the walk. We practice what we preach, we are not only the Mole Underground, we live underground.

We undermine the taken for granted, we comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, we are what you least expect, a fresh flowing stream in the detritus of life.

Beware though of falling in love with Mole, Mole will break your heart, and leave you with nothing but a taste for clean fresh air. Every time we take a breath, we think of Mole, we think of the Mole Underground, living underground at 'Mole End', the beginning and end, in another dimension, click on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Ch. 5: Dulce Domum

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Beware though of falling in love with Mole, Mole will break your heart, and leave you with nothing but a taste for clean fresh air. Every time we take a breath, we think of Mole, we think of the Mole Underground, living underground at 'Mole End', the beginning and end, in another dimension, click on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Ch. 5: Dulce Domum
No dangers of the highlighted, and I already have a taste for clean fresh air.

Mole

Permabanned
No dangers of the highlighted, and I already have a taste for clean fresh air.

It's true Mole is more inclined to fall in love than be loved. Some see this as part of his charm, and some see this as being too susceptible for his own good. What do you think?

Oberon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
*NT*
It's true Mole is more inclined to fall in love than be loved. Some see this as part of his charm, and some see this as being too susceptible for his own good. What do you think?

This is going to seem really random but I'll tell you what I think, or at least, what happened to met last night.

I was dreaming and I went in this room with one of those comfy bean bags you can sit on, I was probably a kid in my dream as my hands were shorter than usually, and there was you, Mole, but as your avatar in my room.

The room stretched out before me like a Tom Petty music video, the one with Alice in Wonderland, and then you then came out of the picture, the mole in your avatar, and you looked at me and smiled, a smile so wide that it cracked your ears and squashed your eyes into a squint. You then proceeded to reach behind your back at which point you pulled out a hand sized pouch with a hemp rope around it, the kind that Robin Hood would fill with gold, and you said, "It's okay sometimes to smoke a little weed."

You rolled a fat blunt and you smoked it and then left the room marching and went somewhere, probably outside. The rest of your avatar was still there but the Mole was gone, or, if you prefer, you were out in the zone. I must say I was delighted that you were able to achieve such euphoria, even if it was only in my dreams.

I would say you do carry a certain panache-élan.