• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in UFOs?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
x-files-believe1.jpg

Actually a more interesting case than modern UFO sightings to me is the apparent familiarity with them in the past. What are we to make of old renaissance paintings with spaceships in them? Were they a product of imagination.. maybe some speculative interpretation of angels? Perhaps angels who preferred some alternative design in their carriages and chariots. Or were these painters simply trying to say.. "Umm, yeah, I don't what this is, but I witnessed it, and I'm just going to let you decide."

Siege_of_Sigiburg_Castle_by_stew_mcgrew.jpg

madonna7.jpg

gallery_2_42_898844.jpg

This is really cool. What are these paintings taken from?

A

Anew Leaf

Do I believe that we are "not alone" in the universe: yes.... SOMEPLACE HAS TEH UNICORNS.

Do I think aliens have come to Earth:
No. Needle meet haystack.

If they do come how will they look?
Straight out of the movie Signs IMO. Inter stellar travel... weakness is water... they land on a water world... It all makes sense.

A

A window to the soul

My theory used to be that UFO's were traveling from some other dimension. However, because UFO's seem to defy the laws of physics, I am now tweaking my theory. UFO's are supernatural manifestations from hell. :devil:

...the little green aliens too!

I believe in UFO's.

KDude

This is really cool. What are these paintings taken from?

crucifixion1350.jpg

"The Crucifixion", Visoki Decani Monestary in Kosovo, Yugoslavia ~ Painted in 1350

madona2.jpg

"Madonna with Saint Giovannino", 15th century

magnificat.jpg
maryufo2.jpg

Two tapestries in Notre Dame, 15th century

Siege_of_Sigiburg_Castle_by_stew_mcgrew.jpg

12th century manuscript "Annales Laurissenses" depicts the Saxon siege of Sigiburg Castle, France, in the year 776. The Crusaders had the medieval French completely surrounded when the "flaming shields" suddenly appeared in the sky (the manuscript reports this as being over a church).

ufo1742.gif

"As I was returning home from the Royal Society to Westminster on Tuesday, Dec. 16, 1742 h. 8. 40' p. m. being about the Middle of the Parade in St. James's Park, I saw a light arise from behind the trees and houses in the S. by W. Point, which I took at first for a large sky-rocket ; but when it had risen to the height of about 20 degrees, it took a motion nearly parallel to the horizon, but waved in this manner, and went on to the N. by E. .Point over the houses. It seemed to be very near, that I thought it passed over Queen's Square, the Island in the Park, cross the canal, and I lost sight of it over the Haymarshes. Its motion was so very slow that I had it above half a minute in view; and therefore had time enough to contemplate its appearance fully, which was what is seen in the annexed figure, seemed to be a light flame, turning backwards from the resistance the air made to it. "BB" a bright fire like burning charcoal, inclosed as it were in an open case, of which the frame "CCC" was quite opaque, like bands of iron. At "D" issued forth a train or tail of light flame, more bright at "D", and glowing gradually fainter at "E", so as to be transparent more than half its length. The Head seemed about half a degree in diameter, the tail next 3 degrees in length, and above one eighth of a degree in thickness."

The_World_As_Will

Do I believe that we are "not alone" in the universe: Most likely, but i'm not the type to believe in 'chance' - "Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. " - Voltaire

Do I think aliens have come to Earth: Perhaps, see below

If they do come how will they look? Apparently like this, from a crash earlier in the year

[YOUTUBE="HA9CPhyYyGU"]...[/YOUTUBE]

A

A window to the soul

"The Crucifixion", Visoki Decani Monestary in Kosovo, Yugoslavia ~ Painted in 1350

"Madonna with Saint Giovannino", 15th century

Two tapestries in Notre Dame, 15th century

12th century manuscript "Annales Laurissenses" depicts the Saxon siege of Sigiburg Castle, France, in the year 776. The Crusaders had the medieval French completely surrounded when the "flaming shields" suddenly appeared in the sky (the manuscript reports this as being over a church).

"As I was returning home from the Royal Society to Westminster on Tuesday, Dec. 16, 1742 h. 8. 40' p. m. being about the Middle of the Parade in St. James's Park, I saw a light arise from behind the trees and houses in the S. by W. Point, which I took at first for a large sky-rocket ; but when it had risen to the height of about 20 degrees, it took a motion nearly parallel to the horizon, but waved in this manner, and went on to the N. by E. .Point over the houses. It seemed to be very near, that I thought it passed over Queen's Square, the Island in the Park, cross the canal, and I lost sight of it over the Haymarshes. Its motion was so very slow that I had it above half a minute in view; and therefore had time enough to contemplate its appearance fully, which was what is seen in the annexed figure, seemed to be a light flame, turning backwards from the resistance the air made to it. "BB" a bright fire like burning charcoal, inclosed as it were in an open case, of which the frame "CCC" was quite opaque, like bands of iron. At "D" issued forth a train or tail of light flame, more bright at "D", and glowing gradually fainter at "E", so as to be transparent more than half its length. The Head seemed about half a degree in diameter, the tail next 3 degrees in length, and above one eighth of a degree in thickness."

Angels from heaven?

KDude

Angels from heaven?

It's kind of disturbing to me if these were angels though. Why would they need a vehicle?

This, of course, is best illustrated in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. :glasses: Where the entire crew, even Spock himself, was lead to believe they'd had an encounter with God...who somehow wanted their spaceship. Only Kirk kept his skepticism: "What does God need with a starship?!"

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ]/[/youtube]

So yeah, what do angels need a starship for? That's much less sexy than wings (in my opinion).

S

Sniffles

No I don't believe in them, at least as far them being interpreted as extra-terrestrials.

Concerning the supposed Medieval depictions of UFOs, this should prove worthwhile reading:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ufoart/esp_ovnis_arte_9.htm

It's largely a matter of mistaking religious symbolism for UFOs, or rather projecting UFOs over religious symbols. This occurs also with other sacred traditions, not just Christianity. Another famous example has to do with Aboriginal depictions of mythical Wandjina creatures:
wandjina.jpg

Yet according to Aboriginal mythology, Wandjinas come from the sea, not space. :dry:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Sounds like an all too convenient excuse the Saxons had for surrending to (of all people) the surrender monkeys, it's understandable, anyone else would be ashamed too.

A

A window to the soul

It's kind of disturbing to me if these were angels though. Why would they need a vehicle?

This, of course, is best illustrated in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. :glasses: Where the entire crew, even Spock himself, was lead to believe they'd had an encounter with God...who somehow wanted their spaceship. Only Kirk kept his skepticism: "What does God need with a starship?!"

So yeah, what do angels need a starship for? That's much less sexy than wings (in my opinion).

Maybe there are supernatural laws that require Angels to travel in vehicles; or perhaps they're faster than wings? This isn't heaven ya know! Do you think Angels have as much power as God? If I was God, I wouldn't give anyone as much power. On a related subject, I love hearing about near death experiences. I heard about one recently on cable where this man saw these flying vehicles in heaven; like UFO's. He heard a voice tell him it wasn't his time, he had to go back and suddenly he was back in his body in his hospital bed.

Edit: I liked the artwork you shared. Interesting.

KDude

Maybe there are supernatural laws that require Angels to travel in vehicles; or perhaps faster than wings? This isn't heaven ya know! Do you think Angels have as much power as God? If I was God, I wouldn't give anyone as much power.

Interesting.. You could be right. To use another example, this is what Galactus did when he created his herald, the Silver Surfer. "No self-propulsion for you! I know you're going to stab me in the back one day.." And he was right. The Surfer ultimately found him disagreeable and did his own thing.. got his own comic book series and all that.

A

A window to the soul

Interesting.. You could be right. To use another example, this is what Galactus did when he created his herald, the Silver Surfer. "No self-propulsion for you! I know you're going to stab me in the back one day.." And he was right. The Surfer ultimately found him disagreeable and did his own thing.. got his own comic book series and all that.

That's a great example! :D

S

Sniffles

Sounds like an all too convenient excuse the Saxons had for surrending to (of all people) the surrender monkeys, it's understandable, anyone else would be ashamed too.
Make no mistake, the Franks at this time under Charlemagne were among the fiercest warriors of the time; and his suppression of the Saxons was a brutal affair. Eventually Alcuin of York, among the most learned theologians in early Medieval Europe, had to reigned Charlemagne in on this score.

Mole

Permabanned
Angels from heaven?

The medieval church had a hierarchy of angels in heaver just as there was a feudal hierarchy on Earth. But there was no more evidence for the angels than there was for Limbo. And now that the church has abolished Limbo, I wonder will they abolish angels?

G

Ginkgo

The medieval church had a hierarchy of angels in heaver just as there was a feudal hierarchy on Earth. But there was no more evidence for the angels than there was for Limbo. And now that the church has abolished Limbo, I wonder will they abolish angels?

Only if they marginalize church attendance, but so far the benefits of angels exceed the costs... so far...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems like a high probability that UFOs exist due to the size of the universe but I have never heard or seen of any actual proof.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
@ OP

Is your question deliberately simple or are you actually trying to get at whether TypC members believe in intelligent alien life forms?

This is such a typical INJFish question! :)

The latter is correct.