• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iPhone or Android?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
which?

why?

context: a social networking (yawn) app. humor me, please. this is research.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
designing the app FOR i-phone or android or running a preexisting app on an i-phone or android? :huh:

G

Glycerine

Iphone has the biggest apps library (apps are mostly free or .99), fairly user friendly, has the highest resolution screen
Android is usually cheaper, has more variety, more features (arguably more advanced because they update several times a year)

Cons: IPhone: no flash, more expensive than most, more fragile, one update a year (that could be a pro)
Android: smaller apps library (and more expensive per app on average), the battery life on android OS doesn't have the best rep.

Other than those things, they seem pretty comparable and it comes down to preferences.

EDIT: I prefer the IPhone because it seems more intuitive and I like the screen and size.

wolfy

awsm
Android: I like the name. And it is available with AU, the provider I am already with.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
other things to consider- it's easier to design an app for an android than an i-phone because there are fewer restrictions to do so- and with an android you have more of a variety of cell phone carriers available as well AND a hell of a lot more devices run off of the android OS than run off of the i-phone OS (you have a lot more companies getting to play with it and bring advances to the technology than just one! :holy:)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Iphone is by far the largest market (more than 80%), yet Android is rising fast (last year +400%). So, you need to target both.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
If you have a startup, start with iphone. User engagement is specific against all models. That and iphone users like their phones more. Android still hasn't mastered used experience the way iphone has and so iphone users are more willing than android users to part with their money.

Android is rising so you need to support it too but not over iphone(at least right now)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think social networking app should be made for both, and to work with computer web browsers too. if its just for one system, it should work with other social networking systems like tweeter, facebook etc

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm I think the better question should be why make yet another social networking app? There's tons already on the App Store & Android Market.

But if you insists... you best do both. Most people do iPhone dev first, then Android dev.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I use android. I presume that iphone is the bigger market though. At least for now.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Android. More phones use it. Statistics show that people are switching to it, and it's technically superior.