• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atom: Diamondville Part II

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Atom: Diamondville Part II

So they've made an even smaller, lower wattage CPU, presumably for things like in smart phones.

They're calling this one 'atom'.

Apparently this on is supposed to get as low as 0.6w. That's not bad if you want to download something on your phone and not worry about it heating up in your purse or pocket. At least that's what I'm thinking it'll be primarily used for: Phones.

Maybe in a lot of handheld computers -- the kind surveyors use or people who work on construction sites, where a full computer just isn't practical, but a device where you can easily access the blueprints and such.

I also think this will turn into a lot more of the previously seen combining devices.

DailyTech said:
Anand Lal Shimpi conjectures on the difference between the two cores. "Intel lists the 1.6GHz Diamondville TDP as 4W, a bit higher than what you'll see in MIDs but I'm guessing it'll run at a higher voltage and thus be a higher yielding part that's cheaper to produce, resulting in the higher TDP."

More of that saving power, and therefore lower cost as well like ygolo said in the other thread.

DailyTech said:
"This is our smallest processor built with the world's smallest transistors," said Intel's Executive Vice President and Chief Sales and Marketing Officer Sean Maloney. "This small wonder is a fundamental new shift in design, small yet powerful enough to enable a big Internet experience on these new devices. We believe it will unleash new innovation across the industry."

Is anyone else thinking, "Te for the win!" ?