• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neanderthals and MBTI

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
according to sequencing of recently uncovered Neanderthal DNA, non Africans share as much as 1-4% of their genes with Neanderthals.
so that begs the question;
1) did Neanderthals have cognitive functions similar to ours?
2) could one give a neanderthal an MBTI type?
3) did the Neanderthals contribute any sort of cognitive abilties that were before not known to homo sapiens sapiens?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL..you're cute with your hyperactive Ne..and it is an intriguing question, I admit :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You might want to read this:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

There's a theory that Neanderthal DNA is linked to varying degrees of autistic behavior. If this is the case... that might give you a clue as to what personality type they would have been.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
... and what would that mean in, say, 500 or even 5000 years, would we need totally new categories?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You might want to read this:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

There's a theory that Neanderthal DNA is linked to varying degrees of autistic behavior. If this is the case... that might give you a clue as to what personality type they would have been.

I stumbled upon this recently and found it fascinating. I score very high on aspie strengths, the back of my head is point and my nose is pretty big, maybe I'm more neanderthal than I thought. hahaha

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I imagine that Neanderthal had some similar cognitive functions like us, but their brains were shaped so differently than ours it isn't really possible to tell though.

Haven't read through that document yet, but I certainly enjoy the idea of Apsergers (which I have) being tied in with Neanderthal. Might explain why I have hairy flat feet.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if that's the case, it's likely most Neanderthals were N (which would be pretty freaking ironic lol)

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
if that's the case, it's likely most Neanderthals were N (which would be pretty freaking ironic lol)

Why? Autism is not necessarily linked to MBTI characteristics.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why? Autism is not necessarily linked to MBTI characteristics.

it's not, but almost all of the autistic people I've met online were N. the more I think about it though, my experience with aspies is incredibly unreliable when you take into consideration the tremendously disproportionate number of Ns there are on the internet in the first place

KDude

That's because some people think they're autistic because it goes hand in hand with the myth that Ns are speshul.

I've spent time with real autistics. Unless you're bouncing around in place and humming tunes in the back of your throat, and you've caused extreme anguish to your families, who've basically sent you off to hospitals because they can't take care of you anymore, then you're not autistic.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That's because some people think they're autistic because it goes hand in hand with the myth that Ns are speshul.

I've spent time with real autistics. Unless you're bouncing around in place and humming tunes in the back of your throat, and you've caused extreme anguish to your families, who've basically sent you off to hospitals because they can't take care of you anymore, then you're not autistic.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

:doh::doh::doh:

I'll focus my Aspie Wrath on this subject later...

Anyway, maybe Neanderthals were more NP whan we are and ultimately did not make it from not getting enough done.

KDude

I don't know enough about aspies, to be honest, but if you have wrath, feel free to let it out. I've experienced wrath from other autistics though. Just touching some can cause a lot of annoyance. It seemed like a very longterm thing to build trust with some of them. They really weren't that integrated or functional, by most people's standards. It's hard to imagine that there are all of these people on the net who are apparently just like them. Now Aspies, I could believe, I guess. Although if they acted as extroverted as Elfboy, then I might not. It's interesting what an ENFP aspie would be like.. by definition the type isn't exactly devoid of sympathy or lacking skills on how/when/what to say socially. If anything, most NF descriptions would describe people who tried to help or sympathize or work out some issues with people who struggled with these things. Since when did it suddenly become this whole temperment full of people WITH those issues? To illustrate, this is like saying that Angela from the show Bones (a possible ENFP) is JUST LIKE Zack (an aspie, intentionally so.. they wrote him and Bones that way, according to Emily Deschanel.. although she says Bones is minor compared to him).

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, it is important to remember that although related, those with aspergers syndrome and those who are completely autistic are very different from each other, and that autism in general fits a fairly wide spectrum (from completely non-functional to Albert Einstein). Also I imagine that many aspies (myself being one) would enjoy social interaction on the net as opposed to real life since there aren't the same limitations with body movement and eye-contact, etc.

Originally posted by KDude
Although if they acted as extroverted as Elfboy, then I might not. It's interesting what an ENFP aspie would be like.. by definition the type isn't exactly devoid of sympathy or lacking skills on how/when/what to say socially. If anything, most NF descriptions would describe people who tried to help or sympathize or work out some issues with people who struggled with these things. Since when did it suddenly become this whole temperment full of people WITH those issues?

ENFP aspie = me. Also those with aspergers aren't completely devoid of sympathy, it's just that chilren with aspergers may have a difficult time undertanding it as kids, but they can develop it as they get older (especially ture in my case, since my level of sympathy has been greater than that of my peers since I was very young).

Wait, wasn't this topic originally about neanderthals?

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
dude, just cause we share genes with neanderthals aint mean nothin

i mean we share 97% of our DNA w/ bonobo monkey

and we aint typin dem!!!!!!!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
[YOUTUBE="KdNnMM7-oPQ"]Neanderthal Voice[/YOUTUBE]

Before trying to type them you must hear their voice, I think they sound INTP.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Man
dude, just cause we share genes with neanderthals aint mean nothin

i mean we share 97% of our DNA w/ bonobo monkey

and we aint typin dem!!!!!!!

Actually... even bonobo chimps (their not monkeys! :)) can differ in certain personalities, so although MBTI might be too complex to categorize them, they could fit under certain tempermants.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="KdNnMM7-oPQ"]Neanderthal Voice[/YOUTUBE]

Before trying to type them you must hear their voice, I think they sound INTP.

it's true. far from the ogre-ish sounding brutes people make them out to be, neanderthal men apparently had powerful soprano voices and may very well have communicated via song. this suggests that perhaps neanderthals were actually predominantly right brained, also it's just speculation at this point