• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was just amazing. I went to Best Buy to buy some black ink and found myself testing headphones (I needed one because my old one with my old headphone's wear and tear over the years has made it... yeah.)

I found the noise canceling Bose ones... and was extremely impressed. It was like love at first sight (except.... this is love at first hearing.) It pretty much took away every-single-noise that was in Best Buy (including the flight simulation background noise... that I could not hear whatsoever while using the headphones.)

The sad part about this was that $300 dollar price tag >.<....

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'll have to check that out myself.

I had heard great things about skull candy earphones, and I blew 90 bucks and was disappointed >:E

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i used to use bose. i actually use that as my hands free for my mobile phone.

for music i love shures. i use the Shure SE535 but that's because i'm always on airplanes and i listen to a lot of classical music and jazz. they run at about $500.

SE535-1.jpg

the SE210's ~$200 are fine if you're just commuting. and it's about $300 cheaper.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
for music i love shures. i use the Shure SE535 but that's because i'm always on airplanes and i listen to a lot of classical music and jazz. they run at about $500.

Are those noise cancelling as well? How well do they deal with the 'microphonics' and occlusion sounds that inevitably arise from canalphones, when the cable is moved/tugged etc? How is the treble response? All canalphones I have tried have terrible response in the upper range (although er6i were most tolerable), since they produce a standing wave in your ear causing a nasty dip and peak in the response. The midrange and bass of good canalphones tends to be excellent though (in my opinion).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
noise cancelling head phones would be nice in theory, but i do want to at least have a chance of hearing someone attack from me behind.plus i'll be damned if i spend 300 on head phones.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Are those noise cancelling as well?

yes.

How well do they deal with the 'microphonics' and occlusion sounds that inevitably arise from canalphones, when the cable is moved/tugged etc? How is the treble response? All canalphones I have tried have terrible response in the upper range (although er6i were most tolerable), since they produce a standing wave in your ear causing a nasty dip and peak in the response. The midrange and bass of good canalphones tends to be excellent though (in my opinion).

huhhhhhhhhhhh? engadget said it was good. so i bought them.
i like in ear head phones. is that what you're asking? over the headphones
are too bulky for travelling and mess up my hair.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have these V-moda's and I love them. They're a good price, good bass range [I love bass!] and I can hear quite well with them, even in noisy environments. I do get some complaints to fix my mic from time to time though because my voice is low or the mic ends up behind my head somehow, I don't know if that has to do me or the mic.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have the Bose QuietComfort3 headphones. They are nice for flying and I use them for studying, too, because I'm sensitive to noise. Didn't do much comparison shopping, just liked them at the store.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ seconded by one of the world's best DJs via twitter 2 mins ago :)

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
My ENTJ swears by his noise cancelling headphones. He travels a lot, so he spends a lot of time in airplanes and trains.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have Pioneer HDJ-1000s and they're great, but I find, as with any headphones I've ever owned, my ears get tender after an hour plus and I have to let them breathe.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I shopped for noise-canceling headphones, I looked at the Bose, and they were great. But they also cost $300. I saw many reviews that said these headphones from Audio-Technica were almost as good as the Bose, but a much better deal at $160 (they're $115 now on Amazon). I bought them, and I love them. No, they're not quite as good as the Bose, but they're still excellent and they cost a lot less.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always sit or step on or looz my headphones. I must have destroyed/lost at least 10 pairs this year... whats the big deal with "noise canceling" head phones are they for more than listening to music because I cant see why just turning up the volume shouldn't do the trick

...seems like a lot of gimmicky hype

...hmmm but if I ever have a baby/kid I'm gonna get the best ones money can buy for silence/comfort/effectiveness.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have these. They're pretty awesome.

pxc250640.jpg

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I love mine. They fold up nicely too. Got them for only $40 at tiger direct. Sound is amazing and blocks everything out. I think they are logitechs.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
noise cancelling head phones would be nice in theory, but i do want to at least have a chance of hearing someone attack from me behind.plus i'll be damned if i spend 300 on head phones.

Well, you can technically still hear depending on what kind of brand of noise canceling headphones you use and what kind of sound is going through.

Not to mention, they're really useful when you are trying to work on something but all you hear is outside noises.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I always sit or step on or looz my headphones.

LOL. I've stepped on my Audio Technica AD900s on a few occasions and they're still as good as new. But they're open circumaural phones - the opposite of noise cancelling..

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
if you are going to go with ear buds and about 200$ budget, get ultimate ears super.fi pro5, cant go wrong with those. i have been using them for about 3 years and absolutely love them. i got some experience with other ear buds in the same price range, my ex co-worker was an audiophile who had more experience and we can both agree that they are pretty much the best you can get for the price. pretty much every other ear buds in that price range lack on something, bass, weak highs or something, but those ultimate ears lack pretty much nothing(some 500$+ can do better ofc, but not much difference with those either), because they got dual drivers(one for bass and one for mid-high) you can get deep bass and crystal clear highs at the same time, when most ear buds fail on doing both, at least at the same time. clarity in them is great. only problem is that if you arent careful with the cable, it might brake easily, but you can get replacement cable for around 20$.