• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Space images...

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Olympus Mons
image12.gif

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Mercury:

mercury2.gif

Mercury craters:

mercury1.jpg

Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact (I'm guessing this is an infrared view):

sl.gif

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
My favorite. Here's their blurb on this one:

NASA said:
A rare and spectacular head-on collision between two galaxies appears in this Hubble telescope picture of the Cartwheel Galaxy, located 500 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Sculptor.

The striking ring-like feature is a direct result of a smaller intruder galaxy — possibly one of two objects to the right of the ring — that careened through the core [close-up image at lower left] of the host galaxy. Like a rock tossed into a lake, the collision sent a ripple of energy into space, plowing gas and dust in front of it. Expanding at 200,000 mph, this cosmic tsunami leaves in its wake a firestorm of new star creation. Hubble resolves bright blue knots that are gigantic clusters of newborn stars [close-up image at upper left] and immense loops and bubbles blown into space by exploding stars (called supernovae) going off like a string of firecrackers.

full_jpg.jpg

Bang. :shock:

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Cool! It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the ring that resulted from this collision is made up of billions and billions of stars, some with planets.

darlets

Cool! It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the ring that resulted from this collision is made up of billions and billions of stars, some with planets.

The human brains evolved to deal with the "middleworld". Extremely big things or small things freak it out. We've been trying to get quantum mechanics and relativity to fit together for quite some time now.

Try and visilize a 100 tennis balls, a 1000, 10,000, a billion or trillion eventually your brain just fails. We cope with 100 people in out tribe, our tribe caught100 fish today, everyone gets one fish.

Most of our understanding is actually built on the work of a brilliant few.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The human brains evolved to deal with the "middleworld". Extremely big things or small things freak it out. We've been trying to get quantum mechanics and relativity to fit together for quite some time now.

Try and visilize a 100 tennis balls, a 1000, 10,000, a billion or trillion eventually your brain just fails. We cope with 100 people in out tribe, our tribe caught100 fish today, everyone gets one fish.

Most of our understanding is actually built on the work of a brilliant few.

And the innocence of a child, too. See the story of googolplex. :)

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Molecular Torus Surrounds Black Hole:

bhtorus_esa.jpg

And, my favourite:

ngc2237HSHO_corrected.jpg

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not a real picture, but a screen shot from a program called Celestia; it is of Ross 780 and the third planet that was found around it. This system is a little over 15 light years away from us.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Not a real picture, but a screen shot from a program called Celestia; it is of Ross 780 and the third planet that was found around it. This system is a little over 15 light years away from us.

Celestia - for Mac or Windows?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Celestia - for Mac or Windows?

I'm running it on windows, but it seems to work on every operating system. Their home page seems to be down right now, but you can get it off sourceforge.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm running it on windows, but it seems to work on every operating system. Their home page seems to be down right now, but you can get it off sourceforge.

Cool! Thanks, I'll have to check it out. :)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool! Thanks, I'll have to check it out. :)

Don't get too over excited about it though, some of the planetary systems discovered are incomplete like the Gliese 581 system. The version I have only has planet b while the astronomers are already theorizing about a planet d. But yeah... I can spend a good hour taking simulated flights through our local neighborhood.