• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Diamondville

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Diamondville

New computer processors supposed to be 2-6 watts cooler than what we're using now. At only 10 right now, it's a pretty big drop.

I'm not sure if it's because of the new configuring, or if they're actually using lower voltage, but if the latter is the case then I fear for consistent processing.

Anyone wanna place bets on Apple's probability for making an even smaller laptop housing the new device?

There's no need for a fan with these thanks to the lower temperature, so they might be able to shave off another 2 cubic inches.

This is probably an appeal to the globally-conscious and the green movement. I bet they even get a tax write-off for this.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Diamondville

New computer processors supposed to be 2-6 watts cooler than what we're using now. At only 10 right now, it's a pretty big drop.

I'm not sure if it's because of the new configuring, or if they're actually using lower voltage, but if the latter is the case then I fear for consistent processing.

Anyone wanna place bets on Apple's probability for making an even smaller laptop housing the new device?

There's no need for a fan with these thanks to the lower temperature, so they might be able to shave off another 2 cubic inches.

This is probably an appeal to the globally-conscious and the green movement. I bet they even get a tax write-off for this.

How common is heat damage to a computer? that's where these would come in useful as well most likely.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Diamondville

That will be good news to my son. He hates the way his Apple laptop is always getting so hot on the bottom. He can actually burn himself.

ygolo

My termites win
How common is heat damage to a computer? that's where these would come in useful as well most likely.

If you have an old desktop you could try turning off all the fans and see how long the computer lasts. You could probably get away with turning off some but not all, since the airflow designs tended to be conservative.

Low power doesn't just mean low heat dissipation, but also smaller form factor and lower costs because of it.

I think the main thrust is to gain really high volume through lower costs.

As for the MacBook Air, here is one article.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't imagine it happens much anymore. Most, if not all, are designed to shut off in the event of an overheat to protect the semiconductors. But yes this would be a good solution.

I really think the appeal is saving power.