• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

South America is Atlantis

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Before you fuckers call me a crackpot.

There was an interesting documentary on it just last week (I think on PBS). I think most people that are fascinated with it tend to be new age hippie types who are into tarot cards, horoscopes and reading "auras".

But, there really are scholars who are still looking for it apparently because they assume Plato wouldn't have made it up and gave considerable detail on what Atlantis was like.

The documentary covered the more recent attempts using satelite imagery and considerable resources. One of the things mentioned was how they found cocoa leaves and other things buried in Egyptian tombs that couldn't have came from anywhere else but South America. They also point out tomb designs and irrigation techniques found in islands off the coast of Africa that mirror the exact same techniques found in central and south America (and not Africa or Europe).

I think it is possible and probably likely there was (some minimal) trade going on between the continents during that period.

If it did exist at all, my guess would be South America. Plato probably exaggerated the claims of how sophisticated Atlantis was (but modern archeology believes, they did have buildings and streets lined with gold in pre-historic societies in South America).

http://www.geocities.com/webatlantis...uthAmerica.htm
THOR HEYERDAHL RA AND RA II REED BOATS

I'll post better links if I can find the name of the documentary.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I read that the next National Treasure movie was going to involve the search for Atlantis.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

There was an interesting documentary on it just last week (I think on PBS). I think most people that are fascinated with it tend to be new age hippie types who are into tarot cards, horoscopes and reading "auras".

But, there really are scholars who are still looking for it apparently because they assume Plato wouldn't have made it up and gave considerable detail on what Atlantis was like.

The documentary covered the more recent attempts using satelite imagery and considerable resources. One of the things mentioned was how they found cocoa leaves and other things buried in Egyptian tombs that couldn't have came from anywhere else but South America. They also point out tomb designs and irrigation techniques found in islands off the coast of Africa that mirror the exact same techniques found in central and south America (and not Africa or Europe).

I think it is possible and probably likely there was (some minimal) trade going on between the continents during that period.

If it did exist at all, my guess would be South America. Plato probably exaggerated the claims of how sophisticated Atlantis was (but modern archeology believes, they did have buildings and streets lined with gold in pre-historic societies in South America).

http://www.geocities.com/webatlantis...uthAmerica.htm
THOR HEYERDAHL RA AND RA II REED BOATS

I'll post better links if I can find the name of the documentary.
That sounds really interesting!
But wasn't it supposed to be an island?
How do they explain that?

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
That sounds really interesting!
But wasn't it supposed to be an island?
How do they explain that?

They said it was an island that was as large as a continent. But if you are are a sailor on a reed boat, South America will appear like an island that is as large as a continent. You cannot see the panama canal from a boat's eye view. It looks like a separate land mass from the perspective of a boat....

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
The Lost City of Atlantis
Plato's description of the Atlantean metropolis:

Below is a translation of Plato's descripion of the lost city of Atlantis, taken from his works 'Timaeus' and 'Critias'. The first extract from his work below details the layout of the land in and around this huge city, and gives an impression of the vast wealth and heritage amongst the people themselves.

'At the centre of the island, near the sea, was a plain, said to be the most beautiful and fertile of all plains, and near the middle of this plain about fifty stades inland a hill of no great size... There were two rings of land and three of sea, like cartwheels, with the island at their centre and equidistant from each other... in the centre was a shrine sacred to Poseidon and Cleito, surrounded by a golden wall through which entry was fobidden...

There was a temple to Poseidon himself, a stade in length, three hundred feet wide, and proportionate in height, though somewhat outlandish in appearance. The outside of it was covered all over in silver, except for the figures on the pediment which were covered with gold... Round the temple were statues of all the original ten kings and their wives, and many others dedicated by kings and private persons belonging to the city and its dominions...'

As well as the huge architectual knowledge the Atlanteans seemed to possess, they also seem to be increadibly advanced in terms of social structure and order, as well as having access to some superb natural resources.

'Two springs, hot and cold, provided an unlimited supply of water for appropriate purposes, remarkable for its agreeable quality and excellence; and this they made available by surrounding it with suitable buildings and plantations, leading some of it into basins in the open air and some of it into covered hot baths for winter use.

Here seperate accommodation was provided for royalty and commoners, and, again, for women, for horses, and for other beasts of burden... The outflow they led into the grove of Poseidon, which (because of the goodness of the soil) was full of trees of marvellous beauty and height, and also channelled it to the outer ring-islands by aquaducts at the bridges.

On each of these ring islands they had built many temples for different gods, and many gardens and areas for exercise, some for men and some for horses... Finally, there were dockyards full of triremes and their equipment, all in good shape...'

'Beyond the three outer harbours there was a wall, beginning at the sea and running right round in a circle, at a uniform distance of fifty stades from the largest ring and harbour and returning in on itself at the mouth of the canal to the sea. This wall was densely built up all round with houses and the canal and the large harbour were crowded with vast numbers of merchant ships from all quarters, from which rose a constant din of shouting and noise day and night.'

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
atlantis bolivia part 1 the lost continent

Atlantis statements comparison 50 points

Atlantis location

Lost Continent of Atlantis is South America

ONE OF the main reasons people have not recognised South America as Atlantis is that someone changed the name. That someone was the German cartographer Waldseemuller who in the early 16th century shortly after the continent was rediscovered awarded it the name of "America" in honour of Amerigo Vespucci who sailed along its coastline as far south as the River Plate estuary.

But another proposed name for the "new continent" was Atlantis, put forward by the Spanish historian Francisco Lopez de Gomara in 1533. He recognised that the great continent could have been in fact the "lost" continent described by Plato and this theme was built upon by Sir Francis Bacon in his work New Atlantis published posthumously in 1627 which states not only that America was Atlantis but that Plato somewhere got one detail wrong

Another feature which blinds us is that on modern maps, North America is greatly enlarged and seen as one continuos land mass with South America, whereas if we look on a globe, South America is seen almost as a complete island, and entirely to the east of its northern counterpart.

The test of Gomarra’s case is simple: does South America correspond to the actual description Plato gave. Consider the following items as answers, all YES.

1. The whole country is of continental size.
2. It is opposite the Pillars of Hercules.
3. In the centre of the continent there is a plain.
4. The plain is next to the sea.
5. The plain is an elongated rectangle.
6. The plain is enclosed by mountains.
7. The plain has a level surface.
8. The plain is high above the level of the Ocean sea.
9. The plain contains volcanoes of similar size to the original volcanic island city.
10. The plain is midway along the longest side of the continent.
11. The plain has a system of canals.
12. The region faces south, as seen on Inca map.
13. Hot and cold springs exist on the plain.
14. The plain is prone to earthquakes.
15. The plain is prone to floods.
16. The region rises sheer out of the sea to a great height.
17. The surrounding mountains contain lakes and streams.
18. The mountains contains gold.
19. The mountains contains silver.
20. The mountains contain copper.
21. The mountains contain tin.
22. The mountains contain a natural alloy of copper and gold (orichalcum).
23. "Atl" and "Antis" are South American words meaning "water" and "copper".
24. The Inca called one quarter of their empire "Antisuyo".
25. A flood legend of a city punished by the Gods exists on the plain.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Interesting.
I think it's probable in the very least that Columbus wasn't the first.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting ideas, chimpy. Especially the part about Plato's description compared to the plain. I think this theory about South America holds more water than any previous theories i've read about, just because there was an advanced civilization there at the time. Not some fairytale about a sinking island. Nothing "as big as a continent" would disappear without a trace.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8

LMFAO! Oh shit that agve me a good laugh :D!

It's an interesting perspective on the whole Atlantis thing. I wonder if the amazing geological formations known as tepuis may be clues to something that happened around that period, and perhaps sparked tails of Atlantis sinking. They're extremely high flat top mountains where the local flora and fauna are like a a glimpse into the past. Almost as if the land had a sudden upheaval, and everything on the tops of the mountains lived on almost unchanged while everything below evolved normally. The tepuis have always amazed and fascinated me.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
None of this suggests how Plato could know about it, though. The Greeks weren't exactly landlubbers, but unless Jason or Odysseus made the crossing, there's nothing to suggest that they ever made it. There are some comments in Ptolemy (? I think it was...know I read it somewhere) about them believing the world was round and trying to circumnavigate but turning back because the ocean just kept on going.

Also have issues with how this separate, advanced culture (which must have been developing before the Greeks got on their feet) would be worshiping Poseidon. That's possibly something they "translated"...like, "Oh look a Sea god, the silly locals call him Flubbawhump but -we- know his real name", but it still strikes a mark against.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
The tepuis have always amazed and fascinated me.
+1

Also have issues with how this separate, advanced culture (which must have been developing before the Greeks got on their feet) would be worshiping Poseidon. That's possibly something they "translated"...like, "Oh look a Sea god, the silly locals call him Flubbawhump but -we- know his real name", but it still strikes a mark against.
It was originally Cthulhu but it got re-named over 10,000 years ago, like the original face of the Sphinx got re-carved. ;)

Yeah, it seemed funny to refer to something the size of Brazil as a "large plain" or words to that effect ( too lazy to go back and quote exactly. ) . I thought that pundits had finally decided that it was likely some island near Greece which was originally larger or something. I've forgotten the name. Crete ?

Still, I enjoy such theorizing.

V

violaine

...I thought that pundits had finally decided that it was likely some island near Greece which was originally larger or something. I've forgotten the name. Crete ?

Still, I enjoy such theorizing.

Thera? Modern day Santorini... I thought so too, I always thought it seemed most plausible. Eh, I'll go check out the links. Interesting...

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Nobody agrees on anything, except that Plato talked about them.

Kuranes, you thinking of Minos maybe?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Modern day Santorini...
That looks familiar. The word "Stromboli" came to my mind and then I rejected it because I'm pretty sure it is the name of a volcano, or something in Pinocchio. LOL

Nobody agrees on anything, except that Plato talked about them.

Kuranes, you thinking of Minos maybe?

As Bugs Bunny would say "Mmmm, could be!!" ( I couldn't dredge up the full memory. There was a time long ago when I studied Schliemann and all kinds of related things. )

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
That looks familiar. The word "Stromboli" came to my mind and then I rejected it because I'm pretty sure it is the name of a volcano, or something in Pinocchio. LOL

Um...not exactly, no...

11_PhillySteakStromboli.jpg