• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Large Hadron Collider

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
A few months ago my father and I were discussing an article he read about this collider in Scientific American. The whole thing seemed like a fantastic waste of money. And I mean that in a good way.

I found the physical aspect of the collider (the armature, ring, etc.) to be fascinating. It's an amazing feat of engineering.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
:devil: :blushing: :censored:

Very timely... we were just talking about this on another thread... misreading that is... as I did the subject of this thread.:blush:

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ

Very timely... we were just talking about this on another thread... misreading that is... as I did the subject of this thread.:blush:

Yeah, I thought it read "The Large Hardon Collider" and I'm thinking..."Whoa...what the hell?" :huh: Somebody's mind was in the gutter today. :blush:

ygolo

My termites win
A few months ago my father and I were discussing an article he read about this collider in Scientific American. The whole thing seemed like a fantastic waste of money. And I mean that in a good way.

I found the physical aspect of the collider (the armature, ring, etc.) to be fascinating. It's an amazing feat of engineering.

Well it won't be a waste of money if we find new forces of nature, or actually understand why there is such a big gap between the quantum world, and the world of gravity, etc.

This thread was started the day before that one. But I still make the same mistake, despite the fact that I should know better.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
When mutants start crawling out from the inadvertent, trans-dimensional portal, don't say I didn't warn you.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm excited on whether or not they'll find the Higgs Boson.

If they do, it will be a step in the theoretically predicted world of physics. If they don't, back to the drawing board, making the particle physicists even more bewildered than the astrophysicists (if thats possible).

10 bucks says they won't find dark matter. Any takers?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
This is a cool toy for the physicists, but it's nothing NEW. They're using the same old techniques developed in the 1950s and 60s, just at a bigger scale. Besides, there's only so much energy in the planet, and the amount of energy it takes to detect a particle is inversely proportional to the particle's size/elusiveness, thus imposing a fundamental limit on the particles that we can detect on Earth. Wake me when they build an accelerator on the sun.

Sometimes it feels like there's nothing left to discover (as a chemist, this is not a good feeling). Call me short-sighted, but what great new things could we possibly make or do with a Higgs Boson? Will knowing that dark matter exists help stave off the impending energy crisis?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
im sure a wicked amusement park ride could be made out of it if it doesnt work out

ygolo

My termites win
The Large Hadron Collider successfully moves proton up the full length of the US$3.8 billion scientific wonder
September 10th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by David M N James -

Large Hadron Collider After waiting for over 20 years to use the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) scientists will today at 5pm, celebrate their dream for it will come true. At 5pm the switch will be flicked on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a giant particle accelerator built by European science organization CER. This mysterious scientific inception was made purposely to study the smallest known building blocks of matter. However the LHC is the largest and most complex machine ever made. It is now the world’s largest particle collider. The big news is that, the large hadron collider has successfully completed its first major test by firing a beam of protons all the way around a 17-mile tunnel.

The quest to understand and comprehensively perceive the context of the makeup of the universe has led to this scientific supremacy and it was made operational today.

Latest news from the CER show that a series of trial runs led to two white dots flash on a computer screen at 10:36 a.m. (0836 GMT). This was indicative of that protons had moved all the way along the full length of the US$3.8 billion Large Hadron Collider.

The scientists who have patiently researching and experimenting the complex wonder of scientific cynicism forced open Champagne corks and these corks popped in labs as far away as Chicago, where contributing scientists watched the proceedings by satellite. Physicists around the world now have much greater power than ever before to smash the components of atoms together in attempts to see how they are made.

The Hadron Collider is the biggest physics experiment in history has stoked fears that the collision of protons could eventually imperil the Earth. Scientist point out that a byproduct of the collisions could be micro black holes, subatomic versions of collapsed stars whose gravity is powerful enough to suck in planets and other stars.

The Collider will force the proton beam close to the speed of light, whizzing 11,000 times a second around the tunnel. This is a scientific wonder that has edged the Earth and scientists a little closer to worry and wonder.

Emphasis mine.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...lider-successfully-moves-proton_10094392.html

ygolo

My termites win
Well. The first high energy collisions are scheduled for October 21, 2008. But I am not sure what experiments will be run in between.

A proton beam in the other direction?

I wonder how long it takes to cool down.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just come to think of the first level of Half-Life where everything goes really, really wrong :D