• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTIc Math thread

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Yeah, I'll get working on it.

I'll try to write the technical explanations but sprinkle it with non-technical "what does this mean?" remarks so everyone can follow

Can I upload .pdfs somewhere? It'll probably be easier to write it in latex.

But this week is finals week for me, so it may have to postpone this for a few days.

ygolo

My termites win
No rush at all. I am sure many of us are in final exam or midterm time depending on if we are on the quarter or semester systems.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'll get working on it.

I'll try to write the technical explanations but sprinkle it with non-technical "what does this mean?" remarks so everyone can follow

Can I upload .pdfs somewhere? It'll probably be easier to write it in latex.

But this week is finals week for me, so it may have to postpone this for a few days.

I've got no idea about PDF upload sites. But... once you've typed it up in latex and compiled it, then you could do a screen shot and save it as a gif or jpg to upload. I assume that would work?

I'd be interested to see it too. I probably won't be able to follow all the details, but I hopefully will be able to grok the general idea.

ygolo

My termites win
I've got no idea about PDF upload sites. But... once you've typed it up in latex and compiled it, then you could do a screen shot and save it as a gif or jpg to upload. I assume that would work?

I'd be interested to see it too. I probably won't be able to follow all the details, but I hopefully will be able to grok the general idea.

I know .pdf's get big.... But I think it is acceptable as an attachment. I've never tried.

I can see not wanting to take half your quota for 1 file tough...

I did some Google-ing and found this.

I've never tried it, and my "site adviser" cautions me that it distributes cracks an wares on the site as well (I guess people can upload ANYTHING).

As long as you steer clear of doing something along those lines, I think it'll be OK.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
So I was trying to explain the Cantor Set to a friend at a party/get-together/birthday thing tonight.

It is an uncountable set with measure zero.

It contains 0 and 1, so you'd think intuitively that it would at least have measure 1 - 0 = 1. But no.

WTF

It's also compact, contains no open subsets, and every element is a cluster point.

That's freakin weird.

Have any of you guys encountered the Cantor Set? How would you explain it in a non-technical way to a friend who has just basic single-variable calculus under his belt?

When I'm not so intoxicated and sleep deprived I will attempt an explanation myslef.

Generally my explanations of the Cantor Set (and set theory in general) focus mostly on the fact that Cantor ended up in an sanatorium. :)

snegledmaca

Hey, could some of you nice math people tell me what's wrong with my thinking here. I was thinking about that whole 0.999... = 1 and wanted to show it through set theory. The wikipedia article had no proof through set theory and I needed it for somethign else.

In any case, here's my logic, take an expression 0.x1x2x3...xn... where xn is a digit from the decimal system, 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9. Make a set with all the possible expressions. Two expressions 0.x1x2x3...xn... and 0.y1y2y3...yn... differ if there is at least one digit that differs, or if there exists an xn such that xn != yn. Find the cardinality of the set. Which is the continuum. Which means that there is a bijection between this set and the real numbers. Which would mean that there is no such thing as a real number having multiple decimal representations.

My thinking is that if every real number had more then one decimal expression joined to it, and these were not repeated, wouldn't that mean that the set of all decimal expressions had the cardinality greater then the continuum?

nemo

Enneagram
<3
In any case, here's my logic, take an expression 0.x1x2x3...xn... where xn is a digit from the decimal system, 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9. Make a set with all the possible expressions. Two expressions 0.x1x2x3...xn... and 0.y1y2y3...yn... differ if there is at least one digit that differs, or if there exists an xn such that xn != yn. Find the cardinality of the set. Which is the continuum. Which means that there is a bijection between this set and the real numbers. Which would mean that there is no such thing as a real number having multiple decimal representations.

Only if the decimal expansion is finite.

By definition, the decimal expansion of some number r is

5afe758496f193d1e7628c3aeb8cadc7.png

Where {a1, a2, a3, ...,} is some sequence. Notice that the set {a1, a2, a3, ...} is necessarily infinite. (Hence the number 1 can also be expanded as 1.000000...).

The problem is that infinite sums are not actual sums.

They are the limit of the sequence of partial sums -- in this case {a1/10, a1/10 + a2/100, a1/10 + a2/100 + a3/1000, ...}.

So you can't just compare each of your xn's and yn's.

It's totally legitimate that the sequences {a1, a2, a3, ...} and {b1, b2, b3, ...} might not be equal, but the limits of the sequence of their partial sums are the same. In this case the set of an's and bn's are, {1, 0.0, 0.00, 0.000, ...} and {0, .9, .09, .009, ...}.

If you must provide a proof via set theory, I'd probably go after some argument using the suprema and infima of the respective sets of partial sums. That's really just an analysis argument, though.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the cardinality of the set." Which set are you talking about? R, or your sequences {x1/10, x2/100, ... xn/10^n, ...} and {y1/10, ... yn/10^n, ...}?

nemo

Enneagram
<3
By the way, my plans for this Cantor Set thing is turning into a giant spectacle involving the both the Cantor Set and it's application in dynamical systems, tent maps, Lyapunov exponents, etc. etc.

I finish finals this afternoon, so hopefully it'll be done sometime this weekend.

I just can't help myself. =/

snegledmaca

By definition, the decimal expansion of some number r is

5afe758496f193d1e7628c3aeb8cadc7.png

Where {a1, a2, a3, ...,} is some sequence. Notice that the set {a1, a2, a3, ...} is necessarily infinite. (Hence the number 1 can also be expanded as 1.000000...).

The problem is that infinite sums are not actual sums.

They are the limit of the sequence of partial sums -- in this case {a1/10, a1/10 + a2/100, a1/10 + a2/100 + a3/1000, ...}.

So you can't just compare each of your xn's and yn's.
But there are no sums here. The expressions are not numbers. Well not initially. Initially they could just as likely be 0.skzhnfhbd.... depending on what the digits are. I just took a pick from a pool of digits that happen to contain the numbers from 0 to 9. I could've pick them from the set that contains the alphabet for example. I only later "converted" them into numbers, well not really, merely said ok, these expressions I made are now numbers. How would this affect things?

It's totally legitimate that the sequences {a1, a2, a3, ...} and {b1, b2, b3, ...} might not be equal, but the limits of the sequence of their partial sums are the same. In this case the set of an's and bn's are, {1, 0.0, 0.00, 0.000, ...} and {0, .9, .09, .009, ...}.
Aha, I think I understand. So you are saying that these expressions merely represent numbers and are not actually those numbers. And the numbers they represent are the limits of their mathematical interpretations.

Why is that? Why couldn't we just say that these are different numbers, why do we say they represent the number that is the limes of a sum that represents the expressions?

Also, wouldn't this mean that there are more sequences {a1, a2, a3, ...} then there are real numbers? If more then one sequence can be joined to every real number and the sequences joined are all different?

If you must provide a proof via set theory, I'd probably go after some argument using the suprema and infima of the respective sets of partial sums. That's really just an analysis argument, though.
Since there are no sums involved that is not applicable. And it's not a must, it's for a personal project.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the cardinality of the set." Which set are you talking about? R, or your sequences {x1/10, x2/100, ... xn/10^n, ...} and {y1/10, ... yn/10^n, ...}?
My set {{x1, x2, x3, ... , xn, ...}} where xn is from {'0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9',}.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
But there are no sums here. The expressions are not numbers. Well not initially. Initially they could just as likely be 0.skzhnfhbd.... depending on what the digits are. I just took a pick from a pool of digits that happen to contain the numbers from 0 to 9. I could've pick them from the set that contains the alphabet for example. I only later "converted" them into numbers, well not really, merely said ok, these expressions I made are now numbers. How would this affect things?

The sums come from the definition of decimal expansion.

That's what the notation is. When you put the decimal dot . you're putting shorthand for a sum. Instead of writing 3 + 1/10 + 4/100, we write 3.14. It's purely notation, and not meaningful on it's own right. Saying there's no sum involved is like saying there's no multiplication in a^n.

I really don't see how you can avoid that.

Aha, I think I understand. So you are saying that these expressions merely represent numbers and are not actually those numbers. And the numbers they represent are the limits of their mathematical interpretations.

The sequences are different, but the limits of their partial sums are the same.

But those limits are actually the number. Just because it's a limit doesn't mean it's any less "real" or anything.

My point was mostly to remind you that when working with infinite sums, you can't expect them to have all the properties of addition, because you're not actually adding anything. That was part of your argument with the xn != yn thing.

Why is that? Why couldn't we just say that these are different numbers, why do we say they represent the number that is the limes of a sum that represents the expressions?

Because it doesn't make any sense to literally add infinitely many objects up. Furthermore, if you try to use some of the properties of addition on infinite sums (e.g. associativity), you can get silly results like 0 = 1. The "limit of the partial sums" definition avoids that.

Also, wouldn't this mean that there are more sequences {a1, a2, a3, ...} then there are real numbers? If more then one sequence can be joined to every real number and the sequences joined are all different?

Since there are no sums involved that is not applicable. And it's not a must, it's for a personal project.

I think this is really what you're getting at -- you seem to know that 0.999... = 1.

As to using sets to prove it -- you might try something equivalent but stated a different way, for instance prove that the set [0,1) has no greatest element.

The other stuff I'll get to later -- finals, etc.

ygolo

My termites win
Does the "196 Algorithm" terminate when run on 196?

Take any number:

Say: 12,
reverse it, yielding 21.
Add the two together 12+21=33

a palindrome!

What about 129?
reversed: 921
added together: 1050
reverse that: 0501
add together: 1551

a palindrome!

In general, take a number x, reverse the digits to get y. Then let z=x+y.
If z is a palindrome, you're done.
If not set x=z, and repeat the process till you get a palindrome.

The above algorithm is called the 196 algorithm.

Now I ask a simple question, let x=196. Will the algorithm ever terminate?

After a few iterations, here are the values x takes on:
196, 887, 1675, 7436, 13783, ....

Incidentally, x=195 terminates with z=9339, I believe.

ygolo

My termites win
Are there any odd perfect numbers?

A perfect number is a number that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors.

For example:
6=1+2+3
28=1+2+4+7+14

Now, my question is simple, are there any odd perfect numbers?

ygolo

My termites win
Are all positive even numbers greater than or equal to 4 the sum of two primes?

4=2+2
6=3+3
8=3+5
10=5+5
12=5+7
14=7+7
16=5+11
18=7+11
20=7+13
22=11+11
24=11+13
Are all positive even numbers, greater than or equal to 4, the sum of two primes?

ygolo

My termites win
Are there infinitely many "twin primes?"

If there is a prime p, and another prime q=p+2, then the pair of primes p and q are "twin primes."

Examples:
5 and 7 are twin primes.
11 and 13 are twin primes.
17 and 19 are twin primes.
29 and 31 are twin primes.

Are there infinitely many "twin primes?"

ygolo

My termites win

nemo had explained earlier (sort-of) why 0.999...=1.

The set that snegledmaca was describing is actually a countably infinite set (has the same cardinality as the natural numbers).

When you start including the limits of such sets (which is what infinite decimal expansions are), then we can represent real numbers too.

However, now we can have more than one decimal expansion represent the same number.