• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTIc Math thread

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Rotating a hypercube:

8-cell.gif

I dont know what u guys are talking about...but WOW..dat rotating hypercube looks awesome!!!! :nice:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
fractal and n-branching of trees... should have realized that earlier. Thanks Nemo for sharing those links. ^^

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I'm no mathematician but I think this stuff is pretty cool, too. I read something once about prime number theory, where if you plotted everything a certain way, patterns would emerge.

I was messing around in Mathematica and produced this (attached) -- red dots are prime numbers and black ones aren't.

I'm not sure if there are legitimate patterns or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

But it's still kind of pretty.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Care to elaborate or is this just a stray post from Cze Cze's "Happy" thread?

I like how she simply states that she like(y)s fractal geometry, and then, on a completely different line (which barely makes sense, even given the context), randomly yells "Mandelbrot sets!!!!" with not one, but four exclamation points.

Ah, this is why we love you, CC. :)

Also, new Mandelbrot set gif I found:

mandelbrotset.gif

Edit:

If you want to play around with Mandelbrot sets and other fractal shapes in complex dynamics, there's a neat FREE program you can download that lets you zoom in/out and explore the geometry as much as you like.

GNU XaoS - GNU XaoS

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I was messing around in Mathematica and produced this (attached) -- red dots are prime numbers and black ones aren't.

I'm not sure if there are legitimate patterns or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

But it's still kind of pretty.

That's very cool. And yeah, the spirals look like patterns. Can you change the grid size to see if the patterns persist? (er, sorry, not sure how to phrase it - I never really used Mathematica).

Anyway, to answer the OP, I've probably forgotten most of the maths that I used to know. I mostly use it now as a way to think about things, rather than thinking about the maths concept itself, if that makes sense. I still particularly enjoy thinking about bell curves and probability distribution curves in general.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I really like these formulas for pi for some reason (sorry I made them so big).

piformulas.png

Post your favorite!!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate pi day. Math is ok, I'll be honest, and pi itself is cool, but pi day is annoying.

If we're going to celebrate it, we have to get down to the 26th centisecond of the 9th second of the 15th minute of the 14th day of the 3rd day of the year. And that's not even as precise as I'd like it. I'm giving a little leeway since there wouldn't be much time to celebrate if we did... I mean one millisecond? How can you enjoy that? And, let's not forget: This year is a leap year. Doesn't that throw the time off somehow? I think it would have to. Either that or every other year is wrong.

Then there's the confusion induced by GWBs clever daylight saving movement. That was just recently. And we're still catching our breath from that one extra day.

I'd rather give birth to a firetruck than figure all this out.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Eh, at least it is marginally better than Mole Day, which occurs at 6:02 am/pm on 10/23...LAME!!!

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Leap Year does not figure into it. Every year has a March 14. But you could simply celebrate Albert Einstein's birthday and avoid all the calculations.

Jae Rae

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Leap Year does not figure into it. Every year has a March 14. But you could simply celebrate Albert Einstein's birthday and avoid all the calculations.

Jae Rae

Oh... thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I should think before I post.

Hey how come we even have holidays? Especially ones celebrating numbers however significant they may be. We can't just celebrate those things on regular days?

redacted

If we're going to celebrate it, we have to get down to the 26th centisecond of the 9th second of the 15th minute of the 14th day of the 3rd day of the year.

27th centisecond...

that's as far as i remember...

yes, i was really bored in 8th grade math.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You officially have the Nocapszy Seal of Disapproval.

Official shame on you.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
So I was trying to explain the Cantor Set to a friend at a party/get-together/birthday thing tonight.

It is an uncountable set with measure zero.

It contains 0 and 1, so you'd think intuitively that it would at least have measure 1 - 0 = 1. But no.

WTF

It's also compact, contains no open subsets, and every element is a cluster point.

That's freakin weird.

Have any of you guys encountered the Cantor Set? How would you explain it in a non-technical way to a friend who has just basic single-variable calculus under his belt?

When I'm not so intoxicated and sleep deprived I will attempt an explanation myslef.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Could you explain it technically to me?

You can PM if you don't think anyone else will read it.

Those 1s and 0s have me interested.

ygolo

My termites win
Could you explain it technically to me?

You can PM if you don't think anyone else will read it.

Those 1s and 0s have me interested.

Please do it publicly, actually. That's what this thread is for. You can always edit mistakes. I never took an official topology or real analysis class, so these things were only touched on enough to continue on with subject matter.

So I would like to learn as well.