• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hay Look!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hay Look! Robots!

James McLurkin's Personal Webpage

I found this a good while ago. It's about swarm robots. As I'm sure many of you are aware, I'm highly interested in computers and technology and electronics and stuff, and I thought I'd share. Maybe I can get some new ideas from you guys.

So read a little about them, or ask me a question here (I've done a good bit of research on this concept). Discussion (obviously... this is a forum) is favorable.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
I am fascinated by emergence as fell as computing and electronics. So swarm robotics is something that fascinated me to no end.

But, my weakness with these things is that the things I find fascinating, I find hard to apply and the things I can find applications for, I usually find solutions simple enough that the more fascinating things don;t need to be applied.

So here is a challenge for all who want to take it up (if you don't mind Nocapszy), hind applications for swarm robotics, that seem simpler to solve using swarm robotics than not.

Things that come to my mind are (not that these succeed at responding to my challenge):
1) Maintenance of buildings with hazardous environments.
2) Maintenance Landscaping of very large properties.

Of course ad mentioned on the site itself
3) Swarms of rovers for exploration
4) Swarms of "roomba" like robots for cleaning

Someday, I would like everything tedious or repetitive to be done by robots or computers.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Of course I don't mind. That's directly encouraging discussion.

I'd actually given a bit of thought to just this a while ago.

Searching for socks, or lost keys, or whatever you can't find, is a pain in the ass. Having these little manz would be cool 'cause it would be like having a search bar in your house. They retrieve the coordinates for the missing item and present them to you so you can go and get them, OR if we were to make a modification they could potentially bring the thing to you depending on how big it was. Of course, then they'd have to find you. Perhaps you could get a GPS device so they'd always be aware of your presence.

I wonder now about the logistics of having these things identify household commodities. The ones on the site say that each robot is afforded a camera; Employing facial recognition software in an off-label use is a possible solution.

That's all I've got at the moment.

Anyone else?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
So this thread basically died a while ago, after only two responses one from myself, and I think it deserves another look.

Read the OP.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This thread resulted in my taking a two hour long thoughts/ideas excursion on Wikipedia.

I have so many thoughts in regards to this particular topic, that, at the moment, I cannot commit to a linear mode of conveying the information that my Idea, or ideas contain.

Need to let it settle before I can synthesize my ideas into intelligible sentences.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Kind of ridiculous ain't it? These mothers can do anything.

I was thinking about making a giant computer with a huge set of these things. It would be kind of stupid though.

When can I expect a response?

Also, how come none of you other n00bs even look at this? This is genius shit. I don't often willingly compliment, and you all are missing it. It's GOT to be good if I, of all people, am singing praises.

Ygolo knows what's going on.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Terrain mapping of densely forested / covered areas
Discovery of caves and underground tunnels
Search and rescue
Seeking out locations of covert enemy operations
Leak detection for automobiles, power plants, waste disposal systems, etc -- any location that is not easily probed
Underwater operations -- finding corpses, shipwrecks, mapping ocean basins, etc.
Possibly construction esp. repetitive tasks like bricklaying.

I think this thread would get more responses if you retitled it to something indicative of the content, like "Swarm Robots."

nemo

Enneagram
<3
This stuff is crazy. I study all sorts of theoretical topics having to do with this in my dynamical systems research for my math degree.

Most of the immediate applications I can think of are simply maintaining, cleaning, various kinds of retrieval, and so on in various settings.

But what's so cool is these things could be made to be extremely autonomous and nearly self-regulatory. They could appear to adapt to new situations and behave in fantastically complex ways, but it'd all based on (comparatively) simple rules. Like how fireflies in Thailand spontaneously form bands miles long and flash together in perfect synchrony.

One thing I'd be interested in is shrinking these things down and giving them some ability to self-replicate and assemble more complicated devices. I've read that they could theoretically draw from resources naturally found in the soil, sunlight, etc. to self-replicate and whatnot.

Anyway, this keyboard can't do justice to my thought process. Instead I'll just say:

Self-replicating machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dynamical system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cellular automaton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The highlights of my two-hour romp through wikipedia)

More later.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Like how fireflies in Thailand spontaneously form bands miles long and flash together in perfect synchrony.

I have witnessed this in Western North Carolina! It was one of the most unique and beautiful experiences of my life. Everyone I've told this to has thought I was crazy, dreaming, or high, so it's good to know that it wasn't just my imagination!

Can you provide some kind of a resource for me to read? I want to learn more!

It was about 10 pm, and there were millions of fireflies in the woods. When they flashed, it was like a wave of light propagating all around. Amazing.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I have witnessed this in Western North Carolina! It was one of the most unique and beautiful experiences of my life. Everyone I've told this to has thought I was crazy, dreaming, or high, so it's good to know that it wasn't just my imagination!

Can you provide some kind of a resource for me to read? I want to learn more!

It was about 10 pm, and there were millions of fireflies in the woods. When they flashed, it was like a wave of light propagating all around. Amazing.

I'm supremely jealous. It must be beautiful. I'm actually entertaining the idea of building something using light bulbs to simulate this, but alas...

As to information, I don't have much. Mathematically it's simply a case of a system of coupled oscillators: the fireflies merely mimic the frequency of their neighbors' flashes until they're all flashing at the same time. My understanding is that the biologists haven't exactly figured out how fireflies have this sort of internal clock that causes them to do this.

I first learned about it in KK Tung Topics in Mathematical Modeling. I'll just quote the small passage he devotes to the topic:

Philip Laurent wrote in Science in 1917 about a phenomenon he saw in Southeast Asia: "Some twenty years ago I saw, or thought I saw, a synchronal or simultaneous flashing of fireflies. I could hardly believe with my eyes, for such a thing to occur among insects is certainly contrary to all natural laws."

Joy Adamson wrote in 1961 about an African version of the same phenomenon: "A great belt of light, some ten feet wide, formed by thousands upon thousands of fireflies whose green phosphorescence bridges the shoulder-high grass... One is left wondering what means of communication they possess which enables them to coordinate their shining as though controlled by a mechanical device."

It is the males that flash to attract females. Individual males have their own light-emitting oscillators, with a natural period of about 0.9 second, but also have some ability to change the period to mimic the flashing of a particularly strong neighbor, thus increasing their own attractiveness to the females. Some species of fireflies can do this better than others, being able to change their frequency of their flashing by up to 15% in response to an external stimulus.

And the rest goes into the technical aspects of how this is mathematically feasible.

I managed to find this article on the topic:
Flash Precision at the Start of Synchrony in Photuris frontalis1 | Integrative and Comparative Biology | Find Articles at BNET.com

If you're interested in more (from a mathematician's prospective) I'd recommend the book Sync by Steven H. Strogatz, which is a very friendly book that covers lots of other examples of "spontaneous synchronization" in nature. If you're familiar with mathematics up to differential equations, you might try Strogatz's other text Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos for a more technical treatment.

I don't really know any references from biologists. I could look Tung's references up though and see where he got his info.

Also, here's a cool simulation someone wrote using a computer:
http://ccl.northwestern.edu/cm/models/firefly/firefly1.mov