• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Drawing tablets

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure if I have to make this thread in the Technology section or in the Art one :)

So I've got a drawing tablet. Not the known Wacom one, the brand is Trust, a brand I've never heard of before. For the same price I could get a Wacom one of one-sixth the size... and if a drawing tablet is of any use, it should be bigger than a touchpad. (Of course, I could get a big Wacom one too, but that one was really expensive) So I chose the Trust one, a bit unsure about how it would work. The seller told me the standard painting program (sold together with the tablet) couldn't work with layers... I feared a bit I would have to buy some fancy painting program too if I wanted to work with layers AND use the pressure sensitivity of the painting tablet.

It turned out the thing works together with the FREE drawing program Gimp I was using anyway and can do everything I want (layers, straight lines, pressure dependence which can be put on and off). So my advice for every artist out there wanting to use a tablet but with a not too big budget... spend it all on the tablet to get a big and sensitive one and none on the drawing program.

What's your experience with tablets?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a digital artist, so I almost exclusively use my tablet. I own a wacom, I think it's the medium-sized one they offer. I bought it two years ago for about 370 dollars(?). It's really been worth it. I suggest people who are serious about this sort of thing to put money down on a good one. So far I've never had any technical difficulties with wacom, I hope it lasts a long time, if it doesn't, I'll probably buy another one. :)

Nameless Hero

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
I bought a Wacom tablet, returned it the same day. Every shape I attempted to make became a long, narrow oval. There seemed to be no match between the image I drew on the paper and the image on the screen. It was sad. I wonder if it was me.